“Great setting for intimate party”
Review of Cava

Cava
Ranked #14 of 202 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Cava is located in the heart of historic downtown Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Just a brief walk from the Portsmouth Parking Garage and the Ladd street access. We are located in the middle of quaint Commercial Alley. The walking alley way is home to several small businesses and Cava's Vertical Garden. Dine under the Northeasts only outdoor living wall. Cava is the dream of two long time friends John Akar and Gregg Sessler. Together they combined their years of experience in the restaurant business to build Cava. Featuring two wine bars, one on the street level, and one in our Wine Cave. John offers a diverse always changing selection of international wines to be paired with Chef Sessler's modern and classic Mediterranean cuisine. Chef Sessler uses only the freshest seasonal products available to create his innovative menus. Join Chef Sessler and his team at the Chef's Table for dinner and a show. *Cava accepts reservations for parties of 4 or more for our dining tables. *Cava accepts reservations for parties of 4 and under at our Chefs Table.*If you are a party under four people and are not interested in the Chef's Table, all seating is based on a first come first serve basis.*During Restaurant Week Cava will accept reservations for all seating, including our bar seating, for parties of two or more.*For Valentine's Day and New Years Eve, Cava will be accepting reservations for all seating, including our bar seating, for parties of two or more.*It is always a good idea if you are a party of four or more, or if you would like to sit at the Chef's Table to make a reservation in advance Cava.
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Great setting for intimate party”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I called 2 weeks ago to book a surprise party for my husband, for a group of 17 on a Saturday night no less! John was very helpful and accommodating when I called again 2 days prior with an additional 5 people. We ended up with the cute downstairs room to ourselves, which allowed us to move around and change seats with each course.

Our group shared the tasting menu. The menu was tailored for us (I wanted no red meat), and my gluten-free sister-in-law had her individual portions. I understand the menu changes all the time. Our selection was strawberries with goat cheese, crab & barley, chicken & apricots, pork & blueberries, and a chocolate mousse for dessert. All dishes were very good.

Our service was excellent. We never felt rushed. I enjoyed the wine suggestion our server made. As a group, we decided against the fixed wine selection since some members of the party preferred beer or cocktails. I will have to try it another time - I will definitely come back!

Visited June 2014

Rye, New Hampshire
“One of the best in Portsmouth”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I've been to Cava several times and each time it seems to just get better. From the moment you walk in the door you feel welcomed. The staff are all great and will help you in ordering if you aren't used to tapas - but whatever you order I'm sure you will be pleased. The chef's table/bar is an awesome spot for a special occasion dinner.

• Visited May 2014
“Best Atmosphere In Portsmouth”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

If there is one restaurant you visit while you're here, make sure it's Cava. Food, wine list, drink menu and staff are all first rate.

Their patio is amazing and if outside isn't your thing, the "wine cave" downstairs is a pretty cool experience.

You will definitely not regret your visit here, with so many different flavors of food, there is something for everyone.

New Hampshire
“Great evening”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Another couple and we went to celebrate a Birthday.
First time there and we had a ball. The wine list was terrific, food all great!
Paella was out of this world.
Ham and cheese croquettes to die for, the baked dates were like a dessert.
The service was just perfect, ever helpful, good suggestions.
Can't wait to come back and try other dishes
Thanks for a memorable dining experience,

Visited June 2014
new hampshire
“Overpriced Food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We never have a problem spending lots of money to eat at good restaurants, but we really felt this one was pushing the envelope on pricing. It seems like the prices aren't high, but the portions are very small, barely a bite per person, so it was easy to end up racking a huge bill just to feel you were reasonably fed. The only item I thought was fair for the price was the dessert churros. Is the food good? It's nice, but I didn't find it outstanding, and my husband suffered gastric distress for a week after eating there. Not a place we would return to.