“Very nice stay”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Bardonia, NY
“Very nice stay”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed here on our trip from NY to Bar Harbor. Front desk staff was courteous and efficient. Hotel is only two blocks from downtown so it was easy to walk there. We ate in the restaurant and had a good meal with a friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, after visiting my Daughter at nearby UNH.
The hotel is clean ,close to nearby restarurants and shops, and has a friendly staff at there Hotel. I always look forward an relaxing overnight stay at this Hotel, and I am never disappointed. The only negative point I have found is the $10.00 parking fee that they charge for parking in a open lot accross the street. Asside from that I would most definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay H
kittery, me
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Hair dryer did not work, one of the phones in the room didn't work, charged $1.00 for a call to an 800 number, charged $0.75 for a newspaper that I didn't see. When I asked the front desk about the charges for the toll free calls I made I was advised that the charges for phone calls were displayed in the welcome to the hotel book. And as far as the paper I didn't even realize we were supposed to get one until at check out time I happened to notice the fine print on my key card envelope that said I could refuse delivery of the usa today and receive $0.75. The only thing was the paper was certainly not delivered to our room and I didn't see them in the lobby. The room had two phones so I didn't bother saying something until checkout, and my wife didn't realize the hair dryer didn't work until just before we checked out.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank czd123
Connecticut
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I would not recommend the harbor front views, since you will be looking over waste covered in tarp. Save your money or Starwood Points! The location was good: 5 mins to downtown Portsmouth and at most 2 miles to the Kittery Outlets in Maine. The rooms were okay for a Sheraton but needs to be upgraded to the newer Sheraton standards. This hotel still has the maroon/tan decor and is dated, even in a deluxe room on the SPG floor. Valet service was good...car delivered immediately. The front desk is less than helpful. Don't pay for room service, the food will be delivered cold with no table. You are expected to eat at the desk even when there are two guest in the room. It's a good hotel, just not in the same caliber as other Sheratons.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Manchester NH
Reviewed June 23, 2009

The Sheraton Harborside Hotel in Portsmouth NH was an amazing place to stay. My girlfriends and I wanted to get away for the Holiday Weekend and the Sheraton was the best place we could have stayed. The staff was so wonderful from the second we parked the car. They were all very helpful while checking in, showing us around the Hotel, and listening to our needs. They were very helpful giving us ideas on where to spend our free time and giving us directions and maps. The Hotel atmosphere was very comfortable and felt like home. Very clean and elegant. I reccommend this Hotel to everyone!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Vermont
Reviewed June 12, 2009

This hold is nice, but don't expect this to be some sort of vacation treat. I stayed at this hotel while in the area on business. The rooms are standard Sheraton (nice and up-to-date). My only complaint about the room was that the internal mechanism was broken on the toilet. So, after the maintenance staff realized that I had not clogged the toilet rather that it was broken, I was switched to another room. Not a big deal, but still a pain.

My biggest issues are two things. First, the hotel sits across the street from the "docks" and when you sit in their restaurant, you look out at a giant pile of "stuff" that is covered by plastic sheeting and old tires. When I say giant pile I mean that the pile is several stories tall. From their outside dining area "overlooking the harbor" you are looking at trees and buildings--not the harbor. So, needless to say, you do not have much of a harbor view. Second, and most important, don't bother eating at this hotel. All of the food I had (room service and in the restaurant) is either uninspired or bad. That is all I can say about the food.

Finally, the service was generally poor. My examples range from the weird "doorman" who leers at people coming in to the hotel to the restaurant staff who look like they are running around with their heads cut off. The shinning light when it came to the staff were the front desk staff.

All in all, I would stay at this hotel again if I had to stay in the area. But I would waste my money on their food.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank No_junkmail
New Hampshire
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I just wanted to write to say what a great time I had staying at the Sheraton over Memorial Day weekend. From Check in to check out, everything was amazing, and the staff was super friendly! We had a problem with our air conditioner and although maintenace was not on duty at 1 30 am, the night security guy came up to try to fix it! It's small things such as that, that make a difference.

Thank you so much, we will definitely be coming back again :)

Sincereley,
Jennifer Lamb

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank LilLamb1683
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Fairfield Inn Portsmouth Seacoast

Been to Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel? Share your experiences!