“Appears I booked a not -yet -renovated- room...and was disappointed.”

Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Long Island, NY
“Appears I booked a not -yet -renovated- room...and was disappointed.”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel since I was a student at UNH 20 years ago. It is a beautiful looking hotel, has a great location, a beautiful lobby and a truly wonderful staff. However, for the price the rooms (in my opinion) are dumpy. The room had a smell when we walked in (smelled like BO quite frankly), the bathroom was very outdated, as were the rooms. It looked more like a motel than a hotel where you would pay over 300 a night. As nice as everything else was, not having a nice room really put a damper on the experience and I was sorry I spent the money. I also found the rooms not protected from noise - you could hear everything. As lovely as it looks and as nice as the staff was to us, based on the rooms, I would not return. I see someone else posted that we should have asked for a renovated room - the hotel was booked with 2 weddings so that was not an option but I wish they would give a much fairer discount for the poor quality of the rooms. I really hope they made enough upgrades to the new rooms as they definitely did not seem worthy of the rest of the hotel. Know parking will cost you 15-18 a day. (I would give the staff a 5 of 5; the hotel appearance outside and in the lobby a 5/5 but the rooms (for the price) were definitely a 1.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank roxiebay
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear RoxieBay,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are truly thankful for your very honest and helpful review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the staff and the public space and can certainly understand the importance of the room meeting those same standards. Please know we are actively working to improve all areas of the hotel, but it does take time. We recently did complete a renovation to one floor of guestrooms and are scheduling more updates in the near future.

We hope that based on the care of our staff and the positive aspects of your experience you will reconsider giving us another opportunity as we continue to update our hotel. Please feel free to reach out to Suzanne and sroberge@sheratonportsmouth.com and she'd be happy to make arrangements for you to try one of our newly renovated rooms.

With warmest regards,
Sheraton Portsmouth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We at the Sheraton for two days it is a central, clean and well staffed hotel. they have a great maintained pool. The staff helped us with the 2 day tour of Portsmouth both with local visits and restaurants. the only thing I was not happy with was the rooms service breakfast, though the breakfast looked excellent the taste was not so inviting.

Dear Jacqueline,

Thank you so much for your comments. We are so pleased to hear overall what a great experience you had while visiting us. We would also love to hear your specific feedback as to how we could improve our room service breakfast. If you are willing, please contact Chef Garth at glyndes@sheratonportsmouth.com with more information.

We thank you for the chance to improve and for taking the time to share your comments.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Had a beautiful king room overlooking the harbor. Sheraton lived up to our expectations, the staff were always courteous and helpful, nothing was a trouble. Bathroom well equipped and well lit. Would not hesitate to recommend to other travelers. The hotel is also well positioned for great restaurants.

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much. We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mount Juliet
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our honeymoon in Oct. 2013. Check in process was made simple thanks to the lovely lady at the desk, Ryan. She got us checked in without any fuss. We went to our room (one of the Townhouses) but weren't satisfied with it. We went back to the desk and she was able to get us into a regular King room. It was much better than the Townhouse in my opinion...

We went out for a bit and came back to the nicest hand written EVER from Ryan! She congratulated us on the wedding and wished us the best. We kept the note. ;)

It is an older property and could use some updates, but the staff is super friendly and they make up for any shortcomings.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
1 Thank Bryan L
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Bryan,

Thank you very much for spending such an important time with us and for your great comments. We love being able to recognize our excellent associates, like Ryan and we're so happy when a guest gives us that opportunity in such a public forum. We hope to see you back in Portsmouth for your many wedding anniversaries to come.

Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stay here on business travel every two to three weeks. A couple of things are worth noting:

The hotel is undergoing a long series of renovations -- not every floor is complete. Ask for one of the renovated rooms. The rooms that are complete are great - comfortable, well-appointed. They have a nice touch with pillows: both firmer and softer, and that's pretty rare in hotels these days.

The staff is professional and very welcoming - again, not something you find everywhere, especially in New England! And it should, since Portsmouth is a bit of a restaurant town.

For a little bit extra, you can also ask for Club level -- that puts you on the top floor and the amenities are better in the rooms, and a nice dedicated lounge at the end of the hall.

I enjoy my stays there very much and don't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room, and ask for a decent view or the courtyard if the industrial vibe on the one s...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for your loyalty - we're so pleased to hear you stay with us when you're in town and we are even more thrilled to hear that we have your recommendation. We are happy to hear that you've noticed the improvements we're making and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards,
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Note - this review is for my last stay, not the hotel in general. I will be back to this property - it's got a lot going for it.

The Sheraton Portsmouth is our first choice when we're staying in the area, and we've enjoyed our last couple of visits.

For this trip, we booked at SHHP for a night to celebrate our anniversary, expecting the usual excellent experience.

We did not have an excellent experience

Parking and check - in were great. No problems, and we were in our room. As usual, it was nice and clean.

Took a look around, and saw that it was an easy walk to the bar (bonus! I thought).

After a cup of coffe in the room, we headed out for a nice night on the town. One of the excellent things about SPHH is that it's walking distance to everything. We had a great night.

Until we settled down for bed at around midnight. Shut the lights off, put the game on, and listened to all of the bar patrons yell at the tv (World Series, game 3). We were so close to the bar, I thought there were drunks arguing outside our door. This was not a huge issue, I was watching the game too. The game ended, and things quieted down.

Then,apparently, the ladies at the bar decided to queue up and go to the bathroom - over and over again. We would hear the door open, SLAM shut, the clipclop of high heels, the slam of the stall door, the flush of the toilet, stall door, clipclop, door open, door SLAM.

You see, Room 240 is not only at the end of the hall next to the bar, it also shares a wall with the ladies room closest to the bar. Whatever you do, do not let them put you in 240, 241 (directly next to a conf/banquet room) Try to avoid the 240s in all cases.

Room 240 would not be an acceptable room for $25 a night, never mind $175.00

I spoke to the front desk when we checked out, and they apologized and gave me a bunch of Starwood points, but that doesn't get my lost sleep back.

I'll probably stay here again, but will not stay in any of the 24* rooms. I was very disappointed with this stay, but the hotel in general is pretty good. I think they have to step up their game, though. Looking at the other reviews here on TA, it looks like they're stumbling. There are several direct competitors within steps of this location.

Room Tip: Stay away from in the center of the building. They are close to the bar. And do not accept a stay...
1 Thank Murbike
Dear Murbike,

Thank you so much for your comments. We can't tell you how much we appreciate your feedback and your honesty. We are truly sorry that your recent experience with us was not up to the usual standards. We can certainly understand how frustrating it is to not get the rest you expect when staying with us.

Thank you for understanding that this was out of the norm for us and we are very happy to hear you will be giving us another chance. Please call us directly when you are ready to come back and ask for Suzanne- she'll be happy to ensure you end up in a room and location that work better for you.

Thanks again for your helpful comments.

With warmth,
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have been an SPG member/owner for 7 years now have stayed in some of the nicest Starwood properties in the world. I can say that this property has some of the nicest service I have experienced. The valet parking (which is not that much more than self park) is a nice touch and the front desk welcomers are awesome - big shout out to ALEXANDRA. My wife and friends stayed here for a wedding and when we checked out the next morning my friend and I were in a little bit of rough shape. Alex observed our obvious "distress" and offered us energy drinks and Advil for the ride home (I had been complaining to wife all morning about not having any so I was weirdly excited when she offered). Pretty awesome! We must have looked pretty bad :) In any case, that was a first in all the places I've stayed and I think that little bit of service and care says a lot about this place. I wish more places did little things like that for people these days. Everyone seems to do as little as possible these days. Also, we needed a few extra towels and amenities and they were upstairs in our room within 5 minutes. For all these little extra acts of good service will def be back next time we spend some time up north from Boston. We can't wait to take bring our dog next time too! (The hotel is pet friendly)

Im a little confused about the comments on the condition of the property. Our room was above the typical Sheraton standard that you usually get at others. And you gotta love the Heavenly sheets and pillows (I know they don't call them that bc its not a Westin but thats what they are). They have a cute little bar/lounge on the second floor overlooking the water with leather couches and breakfast at the small restaurant we had was great. And you can't beat this location in Portsmouth!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for sharing your really excellent experience and for recognizing Alexandra. It goes a really long way with our team when they get mentioned in such a great review and we appreciate it more than you know.

Please come back and see us again soon.

Sheraton Portsmouth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portsmouth

Been to Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel? Share your experiences!