“Loud guests, but great response by hotel and wonderful location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Boston
“Loud guests, but great response by hotel and wonderful location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2008

My mother and I stayed at the Sheraton Harborside for a mother/daughter weekend. We loved where the hotel is situated--you really couldn't ask for a better location to walk to the wonderful multitude of shops and restaurants that Portsmouth has to offer!
However, during this same weekend, the hotel was nearly fully booked with alumni visiting for their 5-year college reunion. During our first night, we were awakened at 1 am by the incessant sound of doors slamming and revelers running, giggling, and yelling. When we finally called to see if the front desk could do anything to help, we were told that this was a hotel-wide concern and that they would be sending security up to talk with the loud guests. But the best part was that the hotel offered to move us up to the Club Level at no charge (at this point it was 3 am) which we gladly accepted!

In sum, the hotel is fairly no-frills (rooms are not fancy) but has a superb location and incredibly responsive staff.

Stayed April 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
South Central New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

We come here for an annual conference and even with the tab picked up by work we both think the Sheraton Harborside is not worth the higher price-tag when compared to other properties in the area. Yes the beds are super "Sheraton" comfy; the furniture is higher quality than economy hotels; the staff are friendly and professional; and yes it is near the water... BUT! The harbor (just outside the full windows of the pricey restaurant) often has rusting freightors being loaded or unloaded with raw materials or scrap metal. Not exactly San Francisco Bay. And a number of people in our party have had basic problems like: leaky fixtures, stains on comforters or bathroom fixtures, noisy hallways very late at night with walls that are not up to the task of keeping the noise out, among others. I would go elsewhere if I were paying the bill.

• Liked — Location near Portsmouth Downtown
  • Disliked — Too much money for a proerty that has seen better days
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2008

We normally stay at the Port Inn in Portsmouth but we decided to give Harborside a try. We booked a queen room. It was next to the stairs (loud) and triangular and very very small. Worse, a decent amount of light came into the room around the door, the mini bar rattled so loud we unplugged in and at about 1:30 in the morning there were loud revelers in the hall. And because the room was so small, the heater blew in our faces. Further, it was a Friday night and we heard revelers leaving the bar for a good part of the night.
In the morning at checkout we weren't happy. The Sheraton receptionist quickly offered to reduce our bill. I was pleased that he took action. However, next time, we'll save a few dollars and stay at the Port Inn.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank easton1
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2008

Stayed here 1 night for a business meeting. I was pleasantly surprised and was so impressed with the friendly, polite and helpful personnel that I wanted to write this review. I came in early and was quickly given a room on the 4th floor along with a walking map and other info about the hotel and nearby area. The common areas are a little dated and some of the carpet seems worn, but the guest rooms have a more updated feel / look. My queen bed room was small but there was plenty of work space and room to walk around. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows for support. Best of all, the hotel offers complimentary wifi and free use of the business center (computer and copier) - something that is such a rarity at higher end hotels which try to gouge you every step of the way. Fee for overnight parking in a covered garage ($12) was reasonable but you can park outside for $6 and still get valet service. There is a large indoor pool in the lower level for exercise. I would have used a hot tub if they had one. Only complaint that I had was that the hot water from the shower was not very hot. That may be personal preference but I would definitely recommend this place to anyone especially at the very attractive rates that are available online.

Stayed January 2008
Burlington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2007

Our family went to this hotel for Thanksgiving. We recently had a death in the family and just wanted a nice get-a-way.

They allow dogs in this hotel, and let me tell you, they were treated better than we were.

This is a very SNOBBY place.....You couldn't even sit in the indoor pool with a drink, or some crackers...A big guy in a Sheraton uniform came over to us and told us to throw our stuff out....We ended up leaving the pool and never went back....This was to be a big part of our trip, just vegging out at the pool.

Also, they charge you for parking..unheard of!

We asked for adjoining rooms and a harbor view...got neither!

Check out is at 12....we intended to stay in bed till at least 11..however a rude maid was banging at our door at 8 in the morning, she tried to get in while we were in bed....Just plain awful! We even had the Do Not Distrub sign up!

Also, I left a pair of new Red Sox sweats there...I called them and they found them in my room. (they never would of called me) They are sending them back to me, but need my CC number to charge me for shipping to Mass....This is a SHERATON and they have to charge people....I have never had this happen to me before..NEVER!

I could go on and on and on.....They didn't give us what we asked for....I e mailed the hotel rep before we left and she e mailed me back and said she would accomodate us.

Like I said, we had a death in the family a few weeks before. My husbands brother passed away and it also the first year Anniversary of my Mom's death....We thought this would be a nice family time.

We did manage to have some good family moments with our adult children.

I e mailed the Sheraton when I got home and NEVER heard back from them.

Again, if you want a relaxing time, don't go here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Didn't like anything...
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank SOX-PATS-FAN
Portsmouth_NHManager, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2008

First, I am sorry for your recent loss(es) in the family. I know they must be difficult and emotional times. I would however, like to address some of the larger issues outlined in your review so that I may clarify a couple of points. I do apologize for the room attendant who would have knocked on your door having had the DND sign on. For that there is no excuse.

Pool . Perhaps hailing from Massachusetts, you are unaware that NH State law prohibits the consumption of food or beverage of any kind in the pool area. Having followed up with the manager in question I believe that is all he was trying to communicate to you. I apologize if it was construed in any other way. Parking. While charging for parking, I agree, is a newer concept for hotels in the city of Portsmouth, it is a new reality and we are not the only hotel that charges. As space becomes a premium and more hotels are added I expect in short order there will be at least 4 that will be charging for parking. Lost and found. I dont believe that it should be assumed that we would not have reached out to you regarding the missing garment just because you contacted us first. We do reach out to guests who have left articles behind. Trying to maintain costs is a reality in the hotel business too. More and more hotels are charging for the shipping of items that guests have left behind. Simply put, that is our policy. I am sorry your stay was not what you envisioned.

Hotel Manager

The Kingdom of Fife
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

Stayed for 2 nights in October. Reasonable enough, but not perfect. Hotel was very clean, and in a great location which earns it some extra marks. We were upgraded to a Club room, which seemed nice enough but not exceptional. Downside of this was we had to use 'the slowest lift in the world!'(tm) to get to our romm. Waiting was like water torture. Also, we were given dubious instructions about breakfast, and ended up charged $40+ that we shouldn't have been. This was scrubbed from our bill but has just re-appeared on my credit-card statement. Very sneaky...

• Liked — Location was spot-on
  • Disliked — Slowest lift in the world, sneaky charges to credit card...
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2007

This property is wonderful. Staff was exceptional and the location can not be beat.

Rooms were a good size and bed was extrememly comfortable.

The hotel just recently converted to non smoking. Our room smelled like smoke. The front desk offered us another room. That room also smelled a bit like smoke . We chose to have them spray our original room since we were only staying for one night. That night a voucher for 4 people for breakfast was left under our door.

They will do what they can to make your stay enjoyable.

Great for families. Indoor pool and sauna. Nice fitness center also. Live entertainment in the lobby at night.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank busnbay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#2 of 17 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hampton Inn Portsmouth Central

Been to Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel? Share your experiences!