“Rude People - and a bit of a Dump”

Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Wow. We had been here about 3 year earlier - things have changed, and not for the better. Check-in was really long. Only one person at the counter, and easily a 10 minute wait - as there were issues with the customer in front of us. Would have been nice to call for more help.

The room was pretty dumpy. Duct tape (really) holding the heating/AC unit in place. Bathroom was just old and beat up.

We'd also had a request, and got put in touch with the Guest Services Manager. She couldn't have been ruder - or spouted more "policy" if she tried. It was almost like "We have your money - now shut up and leave".

So really what do you have? Location. The good news for our future visits is that the Residence Inn and the Hilton Garden have "location" too. Certainly the people can be no worse. And the properties will be newer.

For the money, this was one of the worst values we've experienced in years.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dukefan2331
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear dukefan2331,
Thank you very much for providing us with constructive feedback from your recent visit with us. I am happy to see you have stayed with us in the past and did have a good experience. I can tell you we did go through some transition recently as businesses will but we have a core group of mangers and associates that truly care and are passionate about service. This has given us a platform in changing times to build upon and continue to grow to provide the best experience for our guests.

We have renovated our lobby and we are strategically moving into some of our rooms as well. If you have the chance to visit again we would love to have you back for another chance to show you more than words. More than managers and associates we are all guests and customers here at some time and we take your feedback seriously.

We do truly appreciate your time,

With Warm Regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Great location..overpriced self parking, which is in an unsecured lot across the street..dirty bed linens (totally grossed us)..did I mention great location? The service is pretty nice a well, but there is a lot of things that need to be updated before the rate matches the quality.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Copley25
Sheraton_Portsmouth, Manager at Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Copley25,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. We have spoken as a management team about the issues and are very sorry that you had this experience. Our Parking is competitive to the Portsmouth downtown area and the parking lot lever has been repaired, a key is needed upon departure. There has been follow up to your bedding issue and we have rectified the bedding issues with re-training and our annual purchasing of new linens.

It truly is appreciated that you would take the time to help us continue to improve
We hope to see you in the future.

Warm Regards,
Sheraton Portsmouth Hotel Managment

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've never had such a personal touch of awareness beyond themselves as I received over the past few days from Justin Pelletier to my housekeeper Holli. While talking with Justin I casually mentioned that I was going to go grab a beverage from nearby and without hesitation he said let me get that for you. Which wasn't a big deal but I was at my booth alone at a convention in the hotel at the time. His doing that one small thing allowed me to stay at my booth to talk with clients and potential clients while I still got my beverage.
The next day upon returning to my room in the afternoon, I noticed a hand written note on my bed. It was from my housekeeper and it read, " Mr. Soandso, I hope you are enjoying your stay. Please let us know if you need anythihng. safe travels when you leave. Your housekeeper Holli.
It's these little things that mean a lot to me and so many others whether they realize it or not that will make me try and return sooner than later to stay at this hotel.
Thank you so much Justin, Holli and those involved with hiring & training these special individuals.
Brian

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Had a one night stay to visit Portsmouth. Good points were very comfortable bed and excellent coffee from in-room machine. However, the bathroom was small and smelly. The smell was located to a mouldy shower curtain. The swimming facilities were very poor - the water was murky and the changing facilities comprised an old chair and a few wall hooks. The sauna was rough with a naked bulb as lighting. Parking was plentiful but not cheap. In summary, we felt that this hotel was charging considerably more than the quality of accommodation on offer would justify.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SlowDance
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel gives you all the extra touches. Fresh waterw/ fruit in the lobby to a club floor that keeps the club room stacked with coffee, juices, water and fresh fruit. The complimentary breakfast is just like home with a most wonderful hostess Vivian. I have seen her run and heat up a muffin for someone just because they wanted it. Last but not least the beds are the most comfortable of any I have found. Everyone is greeted as family and who wouldn't want to go back. Oh and they have a fitness center full of equipment in working order open 24/7. Great!

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked a room on the Club level. The included breakfast was scrambled eggs and undercooked sausage. Dirty dishes were piled up in a corner. Everyone had to search drawers for utensils and there was one Keurig machine with a few coffee pods. The toilet rocked on the floor. The air conditioner did not sufficiently cool the room to the requested temperature on the thermostat. The location of the hotel is excellent and the housekeeping is great. But Portsmouth is a wonderful destination!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank satisfiedcustomer141
Reviewed September 4, 2012

At $246 for the AAA rate, I've had larger rooms in Manhattan for this price. The manager has replied to a previous post ("Not worth the rate") that their rates are competitive, but the truth of the matter is that there is not much competition (nearby hotels), so I bit the bullet and chose this hotel due to its location.

We were two family members in a 2 double-bed room, and the armchair for the desk totally blocks the T-shaped aisle for the person on the far bed to get to the bathroom. There is no other place to move that chair without blocking your path. That's how small the room is. We were also surprised that the only way to get to Market Street (along the back side of the building) was via a staircase (or walking completely around the block), which was hard to manage for my elderly father.

The staff is nice. The location is great. But if you're looking for good value, it's not here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bravaencore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Hilton Garden Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites

Been to Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel? Share your experiences!