“Best Museum Ever!”

Strawbery Banke Museum
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Museum houses open in December only for Candlelight Stroll: Saturdays Dec 12 and 19, 5-9 pm and Sundays, December 13 and 20, 4-8 pm. Guided Holiday House Tours offered Dec 26-31, 10 am to 2 pm with last tour starting at 2 pm. Labrie Family Skate outdoor ice rink at the museum is open daily 9 am to 9 pm (except for occasional private rentals).
Buhl, Idaho
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Best Museum Ever!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I had not heard of Strawberry Banke before we visited Portsmouth. It is a great value for a living museum. We spent most of a day there wandering around the various houses set up to reflect different periods in American history. There were not docents in every house, but all the docents we met were enthusiastic about the museum and all but one were factually knowledgeable. My husband particularly liked that the museum showed how homes were constructed in the pre-revolutionary and revolutionary periods and what tools were used. Strawberry Banke also had information about the local products and manufacturing during the history of our country. This museum is well worth visiting.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Well Worth the Price of Admission”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This "museum" is actually an entire neighborhood of historic 17th/18th century homes. You enter the compound and can then wander around the grounds exploring and going in and out of the homes. Only one of the homes was actually re-located to the area. The grounds and the homes have descriptive placards with interesting information and everything is meticulously labeled. Many of the homes are decorated and furnished for the 17th/18th century. There are also some actors/employees in period costumes in character. It is a really really fun and interesting activity to do in Portsmouth.

Each of the homes has a guide. The staff range from amazing to absolutely dreadful. The women working at the entrance were incredible. They gave us our map, strategized with us about walking around and told us where things were located including the restrooms. The gentlemen working at the Chase House, I believe, was amazing as well.

The woman working in the Goodwin Mansion was terrible. She spent the entire time gossiping with another woman who appeared to be an off-duty employee. When I asked if the stove in the kitchen was original she said "Its not original to the house - it was originally bought, however" and then turned back to talking. I don't even know what that means. Another woman working at the house with the children's play area yelled at us quite rudely about keeping our entrance badges visible so she didn't have to look hard since my husband was displaying both our badges on his back pack. We are boring looking middle aged people with an infant carrier strapped to my chest - we didn't jump a fence to get in here. She didn't have to be so rude about it.

Unfortunately it started raining horribly and we ended up leaving before we were finished. The bathrooms are great. We were stuck in them during the rain storm for awhile and they were quite nice!

We really had a great time. I would strongly suggest anyone who has any interest in history to consider a stop here.

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A Historical Adventure”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have to say going to Strawberry Banke was a trip into the past. As soon as you get in everyone is in costume and in their roles as characters of the time which I found very interesting as they know so much, not only about the history of the place but also what it would have been like to live there too.

We spent a good few hours there going into all the houses and seeing the difference in archetecture and furniture and the way people lived in these houses through the ages. It was fun and educational as you could literally walk where others had walked hundreds of years before and smell the cooking and fires and everything that they would have had then. It was a wonderful experience.

Visited July 2013
Camden, Maine
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“great place rude staff”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

first off the kid at the desk,what a jerk treated me like a child and has no interest in you property at all,just a rude ,,I could go on,I am handicapped and all the bathroom were being cleaned I waled into one because I couldnt walk across the park and was scolded by a man just sweeping,needed to wash my hands thats all,spent alot of money to walk in for ten minutes and get mad and left,,need to work on people skills at this property

2 Thank ssscout78
Palm Bay, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Excellent historic homes in downtown Portsmouth”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

A collection of several historic homes located in Strawberry Banke. Most homes have original or period furniture. Very nice tour with friendly staff some dressed in character. I would recommend this attraction.

Visited August 2013