“Submarinar history”

USS Albacore Museum
Ranked #3 of 71 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Kids will love exploring this retired 1953 U.S. Navy submarine which served as a test bed for other submarine systems and now gives visitors a feel for the tight quarters, tiny berths and general submarine lifestyle.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Always wanted tos top in and see what this was about. Take an hour or two and pull off the I-95 to see what the Albacore exibit is all about. Easy to navigate, fun to see and remarkable history from the submarine class ships that were so dominant a feature in our world wars.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This submarine is in perfect condition, like the day she was put in the water. Very unique submarine because she never carried a weapon nor had any torpedo tubes. Self guided tour lets you learn about this very special boat at your own pace.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've lived in the Portsmouth area for many years, watched with the crowds when the Albacore was floated in, but never took the tour. That finally changed last week. I was surprised at how small the interior is. How could the men live here for 30 days at a time? The tour guide was excellent. I learned so much about the Albacore and what it was used for. Definitely recommend visiting.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were visiting Maine from Ontario and decided to stop here on our way home. The staff member inside the sub was incredibly knowledgable. The audio tour was actually very interesting and informative. Being inside the sub will give you a new found respect and appreciation for our servicemen and women. I was only in there for about five minutes and I started feeling claustrophobic. Everything was cramped and they were packed in there like sardines. I definitely recommend this tour.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Never had been in a submarine before and it was very interesting. Great value for the cheap admission and the kids had a great time!