“Once in your life”

USS Albacore Museum
Ranked #3 of 68 things to do in Portsmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Kids will love exploring this retired 1953 U.S. Navy submarine which served as a test bed for other submarine systems and now gives visitors a feel for the tight quarters, tiny berths and general submarine lifestyle.
Laval, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Once in your life”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Once in my life I wanted to see for real the inside that we use to see in movies. I was really impressed with the periscope.

Dracut, Massachusetts
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“This visit is a long time coming”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've wanted to visit the USS Albacore for several years, finally, found an excuse to make the trip.
The parking lot was surprisingly full, for a hot Saturday in July.
I thought the admission fee schedule was OK, especially since the "youth" rate goes up to age 17 and I had my 13 yo grandson with me. Bonus: He even admitted he found a few parts of the tour interesting.
It is a self-guided tour, there are push button recorded messages along the way to explain what you are looking at or to give details. Plus,the people working in the visitors building are very willing to share what they know.
The tour was quite an experience for me because I knew someone who served on a submarine; the quarters are tight, very tight. I would take a special person to handle it for any length of time.
Everything about the ship is utilitarian, there are exposed pipes, cables, gauges, switches, knobs and other paraphernalia everywhere. There's even a periscope with a view of the Rte 1 bridge
and a couple of steering wheels where you can pretend to know what you're doing.
My one disappointment is we were not allowed to go between decks - either up to the conning tower or below. Keep in mind, this is not handicapped or large-person friendly. There are, I believe, five pretty small watertight doors, you've got to crouch and step through sideways one foot at time. Plus there are a few steps along the way.
I found it fascinating, as I do anything that celebrates technology and American military capability.

Norfolk, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Tour a historic sub”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This museum is very interesting and certainly worth the time if you are interested in submarines. The small museum has interesting exhibits about this historical submarine. Walking through the submarine is an eye-opening experience if you have never seen one. Talk about close quarters. The price is only five dollars, so you can leave an extra donation to help with upkeep.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“SUBMARINES!!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is a nice little museum. The self guided tour is only 5$ for an adult and doesn't take all that long to go through. I had a blast going through the sub and listening to all of the audio descriptions of the rooms and equipment. The only downer is that it was a hot day and the sub didn't have AC... it was very hot inside... Other than that it was a lot of fun!

Eddington, Maine
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 257 helpful votes
“What a great exhibit”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have driven by the "submarine in Portsmouth" for years, but never stopped till this week. What a very interesting stop, took our 7 year old granddaughter, and she was very intrigued (as were we...who knew how interesting it would be).
Well worth the stop to explore and pay homage to the brave Americans who have served in the Submarine service. Nice grounds for a relaxing travel break as well.

1 Thank Maine04428