“Sexist Owner”

Red Carpet Inn & Suites Plymouth
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Plymouth
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The owner, or worker that evening was incredibly sexist. The hotel itself was ok, clean, and worth the price tag. If it weren't for the man at the desk I would have been satisfied with my stay. However, I, a female, booked the hotel and when I was trying to pay for the room the desk worker would hardly address me. My husband came in with me and he would only address him. He kept saying how are you sir, what can I do for you sir. I was trying to tell him we had a reservation and he just kept trying to speak with my husband rather than me. After looking up our reservation I gave him my card to pay and after it was ran he went all the way down the counter and handed it to my husband to sign. He kept asking my husband questions about why we were there and I found it incredibly rude that he would not speak to me. We mentioned we were there for the foliage and he responded don't you think it's a bit late for that and why even bother. It was very rude and if we were able to cancel and get our mone back we absolutely would have left.

My mother and husband went and got breakfast in the morning and she received the same treatment. It was more of how are you this morning sir, how was your stay sir. Didn't address that my mother was even there. He also stared at them the entire time they were trying to get food. He was incredibly unfriendly and all guests deserve to be treated with equal respect. I suggest women avoid this hotel and any other individuals that do not want to support his sexist attitude.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank abremmon
There are newer reviews for Red Carpet Inn & Suites Plymouth

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel was pretty clean and adequate for our two night stay. The hotel is dated but the room we had with two queen beds and a view of foliage worked fine for us. The bathroom could use updating and the stairs to the second floor were quite "soft" and had obviously undergone some fixing, but overall, this hotel sufficed. The beds were comfortable and the linens were clean and soft. Pool was not in use and also needs work. Best parts were location, hotel staff and beds. The hotel staff went out of their way to make sure we were all set and asked many times if they could do anything to improve our stay. Breakfast was limited and in a corner of the office. Two cereals, coffee, juice and bananas. But again, it worked for me. Not far from Route 93 and the University so pretty centrally located. I would stay here again but if there were a chain hotel close by, I would probably make reservations there first. They mentioned that they had kept two rooms aside for last minute travelers needing a place to stay..

Room Tip: We stayed in the back building off the main road on the second floor towards the end. Very quiet r...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was shocked to find a room I could book for a single night during peak season and at such a great rate! Monsin(I think was his name) at the front desk was so polite and helpful and or room was clean and comfy. We needed a place to stay for a quick weekend to Funspot and this place really fit or needs. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Nothing fancy, but recent renovations mean super clean rooms and very comfortable bedding with nice, firm mattresses. New owner (bought it one year ago apparently) was super polite and helpful.

Basic, simple hotel for staying the night or using as launching pad to White Mt. activities.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

There are few hotels in this area. Most are very expensive for our bed and breakfasts. This will tell is made up of a two-story section with rooms that face the outside. Their heart cabins also behind but they looked extremely dingy and worn. There is a cool one with was wrecked. I've 1st book this online but was surprised and upset to find out that the vote count is actually booked through some kind of service and they charged my card immediately. I canceled my reservation and called the hotel directly and talk to a very nice young man who explained to me that it did not seem right that my card was charged. I managed to book the room at the same price and since we brought our dog I was told that there was a $10 payday charge. When we arrived I don't with the same young man in person who was extremely personable and did not charge me for the dog. Our room was modern and clean but unfortunately it had an unpleasant sandalwood smell. There were 2 dealer rises in the room. The towels are thin and soap are the little sliver type. Shampoo and conditioner sufficient. There was a refrigerator which was a nice touch. Ice is available in the office. Breakfast is in the office area. It consisted of 2 types of bagels, one onion and one plane. A refrigerator contained a big cup of margarine and coffee creamer there was juice and coffee available. I met the housekeeper who was very friendly. Apparently it is a family run hotel. Period is located in a great location near everything. It is not by any means a luxury facility but considering the price is perfectly fine for sleeping. V

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly to book the room. Do not use the Internet.
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I'm a bit uncertain how to approach this review. From other posts, I see the price for a room at this motel is typically around $50/night. We stayed during a peak weekend (lots of local camps getting out) and so we paid a bit more than 3x that. My criteria for a $50 room would be vastly different from my criteria for a $170 room, so I'm a bit perplexed as to how to judge our stay.

The basics about our stay:
* The owners/employees are very nice and gracious. We showed up a couple of hours before check-in, and they immediately offered to prioritize our room and called us as soon as it was done.
* We stayed in a two-queen-bed room with a "scenic" view. "Scenic" is a bit of a misnomer. There are two main buildings (in addition to a few cottages). The front building sits on the main road and the back building looks out at shrubs/greenery. No view, by any means, but it was fine for our purposes. The property isn't exactly well-groomed, but it was fine since we weren't planning to hang out outside.
* The room seemed very clean. We stayed in a room that had recently been updated, and I was happy to discover that the beds didn't have the bedspreads that are shown on the website. Instead, they've switched to the sheets + strip of a coverlet that goes across the bed near the bottom. Much more sanitary. Based on a cursory view, the room and bathroom seemed quite clean. Unfortunately, I tried to find a plug near the bed, which necessitated pulling the bedside table away from the wall a little bit. I then saw that behind the table and behind the beds was completely coated with dust, candy wrappers, etc. That was pretty gross. That said, I'm sure I'd find the same thing in many properties. Ignorance would have been bliss.
* The mattresses were so-so. Definitely not great, but fine for one night.
* The towels were pretty bad. Reminded me of college-issued towels 25 years ago. Very small, thin, and scratchy--but they did the trick:-) The water pressure wasn't great, but it was OK.
* The motel seemed almost filled to capacity but was very quiet. We had the a/c running, and the only noise I was aware of was the man in the room directly above ours. I went to bed shortly after midnight and could hear him moving about like a caged animal for some time. In truth, I think what kept me up was less the noise and more my puzzling over what he could possibly be finding to do in a small motel room that would necessitate so much movement. The next morning, there he was again--this time, pacing back and forth from one end of the room to the other. I still can't figure it out...
* The motel advertises a free breakfast, but we would have found it the height of awkwardness to avail ourselves of it. The office where you check in is very small and narrow, and we saw that along one side was a breakfast set-up with cold cereal (I'm sure they add other things during breakfast; this was mid-afternoon). I don't know what else they offer, but it wouldn't have occurred to us to go in the next morning. Much happier to buy breakfast elsewhere.
* I don't think the website advertises a pool, which is good because the one they have is in major disrepair.

The upshot is this: I liked the people who run the hotel and think they're working very hard to make it nice and ensure their guests are happy with their experiences. Had we paid the standard price of $50, I think I would have been very satisfied with our stay. Rather than pay $170 for an additional stay, I'd go out of my way to find something more suited to that price category. But, if you can book a room for $50, I don't think you'd be unhappy here if you're just looking for a basic motel in which to spend one or two nights. The owners are definitely eager to please and improve, and that goes a long way in my book.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

2.5 stars
the room smells a bit weird and tons of flies in the room

the continental breakfast was a joke. from 7-9am only. And the check out time is at 11? doesn't make sense.
Very limited options with the breakfast, juice, coffee. Toaster for the bagels and the cream cheese and the butter is kept in the fridge next to it.
And the breakfast is offered in front of the front desk. A bit awkward.

The free wifi doesn't work! only 1 bar in some area, and no signal at all in some other

Think it's better to stick to a chain like Red Roof or Holidays inn

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Pilgrim Inn and Cottages
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 2 in Ashland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln East - White Mountains

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites Plymouth? Share your experiences!