“Nicest hosts”
Review of Federal House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Federal House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Arrived early on Thursday for a ski and stay overnight and the place was really nice. This was our first time at a B/B and it will not be our last the. The room was great the bed was very comfortable. They had wine and cheese out for a couple of hours which was a very nice touch. My wife says the oatmeal cookies were great and will try and get the recipe, and the breakfast in the morning was outstanding. Overall it was a great experience and nice getaway.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sauconyyo

Reviewed January 10, 2009

I was in the area for my son's camp activities and this was my first stay at the Federal House Inn. My only regret is I could not stay longer. The antique building's historic charm with its lovely garden would suffice to justify a stay here, but the amenities are great too. Andrea and Frank did a great job with the rooms' decor and the Internet access facilities. The beds are beautiful and comfortable and, although my room faced the road, I did not hear any traffic noise and slept through the night without problems. My own private bathroom (though across the hall) had a charming decor too. The food and service are top quality. The breakfast is delicious, and is graciously served with unusual personal attention. The innkeepers are indeed the friendliest hosts, and it has been a great pleasure to seek their advice and chat at length with them. The inn is on the pricey side, but overall it is well spent money. Furthermore, its cancellation policy is generous compared to other inns in the area. I plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank Travel-n-run
Reviewed December 8, 2008

My boyfriend and I stopped at the Federal House Inn after 100 miles of cycling during a bike trip this spring. When we arrived, Andrea and Frank found us a place for our bikes, briefly showed us around the inn, and had set out some glasses of wine and a cheese selection. It was absolutely delightful. The bed was comfortable and the hot tub was exactly what our sore bodies needed! Excellent hospitality and a charming place to stay. I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for lodging in the Plymouth area. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SkiNRideVT
Reviewed December 8, 2008

We spend several weekends out in the Plymouth area each year for our kids camp activities and have stayed at all the various upscale hotels from Meredith to Plymouth and have found the Federal House Inn to be a friendly, reliable and cost-effective way to stay.

The Federal House Inn is a very convenient and wonderful place to spend the weekend. The rooms are spacious for a historic B&B and come complete with luxury toiletries for convenience. However, some rooms do not have an adjoining bath. The beds have pillow top matteresses and beautiful linens.

The fare was well done and abundant - even including a happy hour each afternoon and a late night snack. We have enjoyed the other people at table and have had spirited conversations with all.

There is wireless throughout the hotel which makes it easy to keep in touch with email and print out a boarding pass.

Overall - A great find in the wild of New Hampshire

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank schnags
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I visited the Federal House inn for a birthday / skiing getaway in February 08. Everything was wonderful, the Innkeepers were friendly and very helpful. We stayed in the John Adams' Suite, the room was quiet and clean and very cozy. The breakfasts were amazing - home cooking at its best! The hot tub was delightful after a long day of skiing. We will definitely be visiting the Federal House Inn again!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JILLE22
Reviewed September 8, 2008

My husband and I decided to take a last minute getaway last weekend in NH and decided to stay at the Federal House Inn after reading the reviews on various websites. We didn't get a last minute deal so instead of staying 2 nights at the Inn, we decided to stay only one night over there and chose a more affordable B&B for the 2nd night. We had the Sally room, which has a bathroom in the hall, but literally right next to the room so that's fine (different story for the Harry room though, where you have to cross the whole hall and that room is on the street side so for the same price...)
Although the building is beautiful and the rooms very comfy (loved the bed!), the biggest "problem", for us at least, was that the Inn is located right on the busy Route 25. Luckily, we had a room on the other side of the house but even then, we could hear the trucks in the morning. Yes, route 25 is very busy, as you have a lot of big box stores (Walmart etc) a few miles away. Plus, they have a logging company behind their backyard so in the afternoon there was quite some noise from there as well. Luckily, they have business hours so they stopped later.
Wine and cheese from 4 to 6pm and the complimentary drinks were great, as was the hot tub when we returned from dinner.
The breakfast was fresh and good but lacked maybe a savory entree (we had 2 pieces of bacon with french toast, as well as yogurt, granola and fruit).
Overall, a good B&B but maybe a bit pricey for being on a busy road and having a bathroom in the hall.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank mariekevn
yodanh, owner at Federal House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2008

I'd like to correct some facts and impressions presented by Marie in this review.

First of all, it is implied we advertise last minute deals. We do not do so especially in high season. Many people do not realize that independent rating/lodging sites may imply or even advertise last minute deals across the board leading the consumer to believe that these are sanctioned by the owners. Not necessarily. This is done to add "value" to their sites in general.

Marie actually stayed in Harry's (not Sally's Room). The bathroom that is across the hall (for the room she did not stay in ) is literally 12 feet away from the room. In an antique home this is not unusual and we provide plush spa robes for those who may feel uncomfortable walking in the hallways in their nightwear. Sally's Room was actually offered to her for that night at a discount but she apparently has forgotten that as well. Please see our website.

We do not have a logging company in our backyard. The next door neighbor is a private home with 43 acres of heavily wooded land. There are indeed commercial properties along Rte 25 but no logging companies in Plymouth. This can be verified.

We have many outstanding reviews on our Breakfasts and they can be viewed on our website including the 2005 award from Yankee Magazine that the Inn received. We accommodate special diets (Vegan, Wheat-free, high protein, etc) and preferences but Marie never communicated any to us. We even prepare special breakfasts for our frequent Marathoners and athletes.

I realize that there might have been a language barrier/ interpretation issue involved and it is unfortunate that that may have contributed to some of these incorrect details, the truth of which can be verified by visiting our website or simple inquiry either on the part of TripAdvisor or any one else interested in checking it out.

Reviewed August 8, 2008

While I'm writing this review over a year after our stay, I would like to respond to a couple of things that other reviewers have written. My husband and I stayed at the Federal House Inn the night before a triathlon and a good night's sleep was of the utmost importance. We didn't hear any traffic noise and slept like babies. What aided in our wonderful night's sleep was that the bed was so comfortable. The Inn itself is absolutely beautiful and if you have an appreciation for antiques or furniture you will LOVE what this Inn has to offer. I so fondly remembered the Inn that I wanted to come back and write a review. We look forward to our next stay at the Federal House Inn.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank L0veToTravl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Plymouth
Inn on Golden Pond
#1 of 3 in Holderness
3 mi away
Red Carpet Inn & Suites Plymouth

Been to Federal House Inn? Share your experiences!