$79
$225
TripAdvisor
$146
$133
All reviewsrainbow grillnorth countryfly fishingmoose watchingyear after yearbreakfast and dinnergas stoveno cell phone coveragelog cabinwe've stayedcanadian bordercoffee makerlaketavernsnowmobiletttom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Hello again! Until week's end, most days were cloudy (dulling the foliage), but our recent stay was still perfect. Nice people, great food & accommodations, peaceful nights, lovable puppies, resident loons, fish, and lake ducks (aka "The Quack Pack"). And, yes, we saw MOOSE! Leaving is always such sweet sorrow, feeling more "at home" in our comfortable, temporary, surroundings than we do in Foxboro, MA. We love coming home to our Back Lake paradise, way up North in NH, near Canada and delicious poutine! Plan to visit TTL soon, you won't be disappointed. Je reviens, Linda & Rich

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TallTimberLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Tall Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Linda & Rich

Thank you for your kinds words and your great review. It pleases us to know that your feel you have a second home here on Back Lake. We hope you have a good winter, and we'll see you again very soon. A la prochaine!

Corinne Howland

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This first visit to Tall Timber was to celebrate a milestone birthday for my husband. I chose to patronize Tall Timber because they generously donate an annual Tall Timber Escape package, to a raffle benefiting NH Becoming An Outdoor Woman program. I wanted to experience why everyone at the annual raffle wants to win that package!
My husband and I arrived tired and hungry - 8pm on a Friday night. The lodge was extremely busy but we were warmly greeted at the reception desk. After placing our luggage in the clean and comfortable #6 lodge room upstairs, we settled for a few minutes in the reception area. The small gift shop provided a tasteful assortment of north country memorabilia and enough flyfishing fly varieties to satisfy the most savvy of anglers. I really appreciated the large bulletin board posting at the front desk of current productive flies listed specifically to the body of water they are fished- local rivers & streams, lakes, and ponds. Thanks to front desk staff and the dining room hostess, our dinner reservation time for the Rainbow Grille was tweaked to accommodate our growling tummies.
Room 6 was clean and well thought out to make best use of limited space. There was a queen sized bed, a loveseat which faced a small flat screen tv, and two twin beds in this room. The motif is standard woodsy country style. Clean simple white sheet curtains are held open by black rod iron holds, and the head of each bed has its own sturdy black-iron pin up light. The loveseat and bed quilt fabrics may be a bit dated, but really, we came to relax and enjoy all the beauty of NH north country, not stare at room linens! Sufficient light from windows, but don't expect any waterfront views from this room- You do get a a limited sliver view of Back Lake from one of the windows. The room fit the bill for what my husband and I needed - a clean functional and comfortable environment to retire to after outdoor activities. There is a small fridge and tiny microwave that are sufficient to keep cool or warm up the yummy leftovers from the Rainbow Grille.
The private bathroom has a rugged wooden towel rack and I really liked the two simple, yet really secure, wooden wall hooks to hold clothing, toiletry bag, or wet towel. The shower stall and curtain were immaculate. The vanity and shower organic soap samples were a lovely touch. Ok- my only cry baby moment- The shower water flow almost stopped completely once and the warm water temperature fluxuated constantly during my brief shower on Saturday evening. I didn't notify the front desk since it was a minor fleeting inconvenience that didnt mar my overall satisfaction with Tall Timber!
I initially worried that we would be disturbed by noise coming from The Rainbow Grille or The Taverne when retiring for the evening. Needless concerns- this place is amazing quiet for such cozy quarters!
You know the saying "ignorance is bliss?" Well I would be hard pressed to accept any other north country accommodation after such a perfect weekend! Suffice to say, my husband and I are already planning to make a Tall Timber weekend an annual birthday treat!
Oh….by the way- The Rainbow Grille? Fantastic! Exceeded all expectations! Both thumbs up! But now…. that's a whole another review!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mumavig,

Thank you for your recent review and your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found your accomodations met your expectations. After a long drive, what's better than to have a nice relaxing dinner? And the Grille's choices certainly don't disappoint!
I'm sorry you had a problem with the water pressure in your room. I will pass the information on to our maintenance dept. It is our goal to not only meet our guests expectations, but to exceed them.
We look forward to seeing you in the future on your husband's birthday! Thank you again.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We spent Friday and Saturday in Gramps. It is a secluded, rustic cabin on the edge of Back Lake. The cabin is well appointed and very comfortable. On Saturday we rented a boat a fished and enjoyed the lake and foliage.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Zudee820

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay in Gramps cabin. It's a great cabin, if you're looking for a little more privacy, while still being here on the premises. You were able to catch the last of our fall foliage while you were with us. Thanks again. We hope to host you again soon.

Corinne Howland

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We just came back from two nights at Tall Timber. Booked this lodge from reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. My husband loves to fly fish and Tall Timber was centrally located on Back Lake to all the fishing areas. Our cabin was right on the water, it was extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean. The gas fireplace and cable TV were an added bonus. Their restaurant the Rainbow Grille was spectacular. Breakfast and dinner, the food was great. All the staff was friendly and helpful. I too, cannot say enough about the lodge. We are already talking about a return visit, hopefully for a week in the spring/summer. Pittsburgh, NH is a remote location, wifi is limited and cell coverage is pretty much non-existent, but that is part of the charm and relaxation. If you want to enjoy nature and get away from the everyday stresses I would highly recommend Tall Timber as your lodging location in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TallTimberLodge, Owner at Tall Timber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thanks again for staying with us this week and we're glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the scenery on Back Lake while you were here.

Thank you also for your kind comments on the Rainbow Grille - breakfast and dinner in the Grille is hard to beat, and may require a commitment to a new diet when you resume life at home.

We hope to host you again soon!

Tom Caron

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed in the Lodge with friends for two nights, it is very clean, the beds were a bit too firm. Our toilet seat broke in the night, but they fixed it. WHAT WE DIDN'T LIKE: We were charged $16.80 lodging gratuity which we weren't told about. When we asked about it, we were informed that it was for the housekeeping in our room. We didn't know we had an option, WE WEREN'T ADVISED AT CHECK-IN OR ANYTIME. The funny thing is that my friends made there beds and we didn't shower unitl the night before we left, so there wasn't anything to do besides bring fresh linens. Forget the WIFI, you can get online but can't read you email or get onto any sites unless you go down to the lobby and sit next to where the modem is. I made my reservations 1 1/2 weeks ahead of time and tried to cancel after after a couple of days and I was informed at that time that the cancellation policy is two weeks. This is on the website but not in the obvious spot with the reservations, it is in the FAQ's. I was disappointed that I wasn't told while making my reservation. FORGET THE MOOSE-We were told by residents and highway workers that the moose have died from the ticks and most have migrated. It is very difficult to see one in this area anymore.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you also for your comments on how we can improve our customers' experiences.

While we strive to make sure that all of our policies are well communicated through our staff, website and printed literature, occasionally that does not always happen. We are happy to answer any questions regarding our policies that you may have prior to, during and after your stay with us.

It appears as though our maid service gratuity charge was not well communicated to you by our staff when you booked your reservation, so we have refunded the maids gratuity charge to you. While this is a voluntary charge for our guests, many of our guests find it a convenient way to take care of their gratuity for our maids' efforts.

The WIFI here at the lodge can be temperamental, but works very well downstairs in the main lobby. I'm afraid that our location in northern NH makes it tough to offer dependable, speedy WIFI service that you may find elsewhere. Hopefully Pittsburg's natural beauty makes it a bit easier to put down the wireless devices when you're up here.

While the moose population is undoubtedly less than it was ten years ago, we still have quite a few of the critters left up here. They have become more difficult to see in recent years, for a variety of reasons. We are encouraged that the N.H. Fish & Game Department has pledged to take actions to restore the herd to its former level.

We hope you visit our area again and stay with us when you do,

Tom Caron