“Excellent food”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Portland, Maine
“Excellent food”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Stopped and with a few friends as we were out for motorcycle ride. We were greeted, seated and served quickly! Three of us had the steak tips, they were so tasty and tender, homemade bread which was also very tasty! One of us had the haddock nuggets, delicious, flaky and light not greasy at all !! Portions were awesome, alittle higher priced than a corporate restaurant but the food is worth it! Looks like they have homemade pies and desserts we were too full to enjoy any, this time!

1 Thank Cher1999

Manchester, NH
“Terrific onion rings to compliment very good seafood”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

This is my second time to this restaurant. The seafood is very good. I don't remember the portion a year ago, but was slightly disappointed with the lunch portion of clam strips that i received this time. Not comparable to others in the same price range. They were very good, and the tartar sauce was equally as good. The onion rings are fantastic, and bumped out the Weathervane's onion rings, which I used to rank as one of the best. Service was excellent. I am told by a local that the ice cream is very good, with large portions, but I haven't tried desert yet. I will on my return trip.

• Visited August 2014
Kalamazoo
“Top Notch Seafood!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Recommended to us by a local antiques dealer, we had a seafood dinner at Johnson's. Never ate here before, but gave it a try.

We were quickly seated by super friendly staff. I ordered the lobster roll special, which included sweet potato fries and choice of side dish - I chose coleslaw. My companion ordered deep fried whole clams with a baked potato.

My lobster roll was simply the best. The meat was succulent, cooked just right, and there were huge portions of claw meat. Light on the mayo, and made with a house-baked roll, this was probably the best lobster roll I've had in years. The sweet potato fries were tender yet fried just right, and not at all greasy, as so often is found with sweet potato fries. The grand total for this dinner was only $16.99.

My companion's whole clam dinner was great. Lightly battered, tender and scrumptious - this meal also had huge portions. We live in the Midwest, so whole clams are never seen there. She said her meal exceeded all expectations!

Due to a mixup in the kitchen, our meal took longer than expected. To make up for it, we were offered free dishes of ice cream, and were quite surprised to receive two very large bowls. Both the peppermint ice cream and the pistachio ice cream for excellent.

Our young waitress was very good - friendly, efficient, and right on top of things. Her smile was contagious. She was a true asset to this restaurant.

Huge portions, welcoming staff, and flavorful, high-quality food - we can't wait to come back!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank loongirl
Concord, New Hampshire
“Always a great meal!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have been going to Johnson's for over a decade. We always enjoy the chicken tenders, chocolate shakes, and fried mushrooms. I personally love the baked fish sandwich. It is always cooked to perfection and the roll is so soft and yummy!!! Over the years they have added more side choices, which is nice. We have never ever had a bad meal or service there. It's always clean as well. We love it there!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alana K
NH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,160 helpful votes
“Big Portions at Johnsons”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stopped in for lunch and were immediately seated. The server brought fresh rolls, which we devoured, since we hadn’t eaten much else that day and we were very hungry.

The fried mushroom appetizer sounded good, so we placed the appetizer order right away. If we had seen this portion size of the appetizer before we ordered our meals, we may have downsized our entrée selections. The portion of mushrooms we received was enough to feed four people--the plate was piled high with fresh mushrooms, dipped in light batter, and fried just enough to seal in all the juices.

My companion ordered a haddock sandwich. Rather than the expected slab of fried haddock, the fish was baked and light & flakey, served on a grilled bun. By this time, it was certain the bun would be left on the plate, due to the portion size. The meal came with a generous serving of sweet potato fries and a cup of coleslaw that, unfortunately, my companion was too full to touch.

I ordered a hamburger with bacon bits, lettuce, and tomato. The six ounce burger was an ample portion, especially with the sweet potato fries. Like my companion, I could not even touch the accompanying coleslaw, though we have had it in the past and can vouch for it.

Needless to say, we have never had a dessert at any Johnson's restaurant. We usually pass by them in the display case on the way out and promise ourselves the next time to skip the appetizer to leave room for dessert. The portions are more than ample. You will never leave hungry.

Johnson's are family restaurants. The atmosphere is almost always noisy and bustling. The Northwood location featured modern country background music when we visited. This is not a place to relax or get peace and quiet. But you will not be hungry when you leave!

• Visited April 2014