“Top Notch Seafood!!”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Kalamazoo
“Top Notch Seafood!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Recommended to us by a local antiques dealer, we had a seafood dinner at Johnson's. Never ate here before, but gave it a try.

We were quickly seated by super friendly staff. I ordered the lobster roll special, which included sweet potato fries and choice of side dish - I chose coleslaw. My companion ordered deep fried whole clams with a baked potato.

My lobster roll was simply the best. The meat was succulent, cooked just right, and there were huge portions of claw meat. Light on the mayo, and made with a house-baked roll, this was probably the best lobster roll I've had in years. The sweet potato fries were tender yet fried just right, and not at all greasy, as so often is found with sweet potato fries. The grand total for this dinner was only $16.99.

My companion's whole clam dinner was great. Lightly battered, tender and scrumptious - this meal also had huge portions. We live in the Midwest, so whole clams are never seen there. She said her meal exceeded all expectations!

Due to a mixup in the kitchen, our meal took longer than expected. To make up for it, we were offered free dishes of ice cream, and were quite surprised to receive two very large bowls. Both the peppermint ice cream and the pistachio ice cream for excellent.

Our young waitress was very good - friendly, efficient, and right on top of things. Her smile was contagious. She was a true asset to this restaurant.

Huge portions, welcoming staff, and flavorful, high-quality food - we can't wait to come back!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank loongirl

Concord, New Hampshire
“Always a great meal!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have been going to Johnson's for over a decade. We always enjoy the chicken tenders, chocolate shakes, and fried mushrooms. I personally love the baked fish sandwich. It is always cooked to perfection and the roll is so soft and yummy!!! Over the years they have added more side choices, which is nice. We have never ever had a bad meal or service there. It's always clean as well. We love it there!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Alana K
NH
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,160 helpful votes
“Big Portions at Johnsons”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stopped in for lunch and were immediately seated. The server brought fresh rolls, which we devoured, since we hadn’t eaten much else that day and we were very hungry.

The fried mushroom appetizer sounded good, so we placed the appetizer order right away. If we had seen this portion size of the appetizer before we ordered our meals, we may have downsized our entrée selections. The portion of mushrooms we received was enough to feed four people--the plate was piled high with fresh mushrooms, dipped in light batter, and fried just enough to seal in all the juices.

My companion ordered a haddock sandwich. Rather than the expected slab of fried haddock, the fish was baked and light & flakey, served on a grilled bun. By this time, it was certain the bun would be left on the plate, due to the portion size. The meal came with a generous serving of sweet potato fries and a cup of coleslaw that, unfortunately, my companion was too full to touch.

I ordered a hamburger with bacon bits, lettuce, and tomato. The six ounce burger was an ample portion, especially with the sweet potato fries. Like my companion, I could not even touch the accompanying coleslaw, though we have had it in the past and can vouch for it.

Needless to say, we have never had a dessert at any Johnson's restaurant. We usually pass by them in the display case on the way out and promise ourselves the next time to skip the appetizer to leave room for dessert. The portions are more than ample. You will never leave hungry.

Johnson's are family restaurants. The atmosphere is almost always noisy and bustling. The Northwood location featured modern country background music when we visited. This is not a place to relax or get peace and quiet. But you will not be hungry when you leave!

• Visited April 2014
Loudon, New Hampshire
“Used to love this place. Now, not so much.”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

What a disappointment. My wife and I used to eat at the Northwood Johnsons all the time. But as long time staff started leaving we slowed our visits because quality slipped, cleanliness became an issue, and the flies were ridiculous. So after months of not going, we decided tonight to try again... Why did we bother? My wife was served he wrong meal altogether, after a good serving of lip service from the waitress, she brought her what she ordered. Then we had to eat separately because they didn't want to take my meal back while they remade hers. The baked potatoes both had huge black rotten looking spots, They had no fresh potatoes to offer in their place. The waitress and hostess were both unapologetic and made no offer to make it right. Sorry to see an iconic place like this deteriorate to mediocrity.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank James T
Virginia
“Enjoyed the Seafood”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

i've eaten at Johnson's Seafood and Steak several times on the way to or back from Nova Scotia. Nice atmosphere, although somewhat bustling. Very good service. We both had seafood, for me a lobster roll that was one of the better ones I had on this trip that included Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. All in all, not an extraordinary restaurant, but a good and reasonably priced one with a nice selection of wines by the glass. I'd not only be pleseed to go back, but will keep in mind that it's there when planning itineraries.

• Visited August 2013