“Entirely Mediocre”

Holiday Inn Express North Conway
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Pros: I asked in advance for a cot, and it was in the room when we checked in. Lots of pillows, marked firm and soft (that was cool). Big fridge, even though we didn't need it. Fast checkout was easy. Staff in charge of the breakfast area were genuinely warm and friendly. The shower head was lovely, nice and big, with good water pressure. I liked the very soft beds, but they may not be to everyone's taste. It was good that breakfast was included, even if it was pretty bad (see below). I liked the bedside outlets for charging our cellphones. There were no noisy neighbors, which is probably the most important thing!

Cons: Half the bedside light was burned out. The heat was set way too high, and the dials on the radiator weren't attached to anything - they just turned freely (we eventually found the thermostat on the wall). The toilet paper was very stiff and cheap. The toilet flushed like a bomb going off. The mattress pad was very wrinkled and would've been awful to sleep on; I had to smooth it out. The worst part was the breakfast. The "cheese omelette" was like plastic, with Velveeta playing the role of cheese. The coffee was watery. The only fresh fruit was bananas. The only good part was the cinnamon rolls.

We didn't make use of the spa area, so I can't comment on that.

We went on a trip to CT in August and stayed in a comparable chain hotel; the price was $30 less per night (I got a Priceline deal that brought it even lower), amenities were much nicer, and we had an awesome breakfast. Maybe the price is high here for leaf season; I don't know.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Jennifer H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am so glad you liked the friendliness of our staff and the set up of your room accommodations. I am sorry for the issues you had with your in-room heater and amenities that fell below your expectations. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with some of the items we have for breakfast. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to North Conway, NH.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed two nights. The rates were very competitive, and excellent value received. Staff were very helpful. Rooms were large, clean and comfortable. We would return. The hotel is located at a stop light so is easy to get back onto the busy highway for shopping. Most of the discount stores are right across the street.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Patti-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. I'm so glad that you found the hotel to meet your needs. It was very kind of you to take the time to write this review. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were travelling and did not have a reservation. We called and they said they only had one room left which was a smoking room and when I told them I would prefer a non-smoking room, she said that she would put the deodorizer on in the room until we arrived. When we got there, you could tell it was a smoking room but it was ok. The staff were all very nice and helpful. It was the weekend of the Fryeburg Fair and the staff provided us with detailed directions so we could get to the fair and avoid the traffic. The free breakfast was great. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I would stay here again when in the area, hotel was nice and the staff was great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Fryeburg Fair time! I'm so happy that you found a room. Here in North Conway area the first week of October is really busy with the fair, leaf peepers and shopping. Thank you for saying all the kind remarks about the staff. It is our pleasure to serve our customers.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. Most pleasant experience. The staff friendly and helpful. The omelet I had from the breakfast was one of the best ever. Recommend this highly. I was on a Mayflower trip and even with 50+ people at one time, the hotel handles the luggage with efficiency. A family atmosphere and attention to guests was quite evident.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

We so enjoy our buses! From bringing in your luggage, guest reception and just serving you is our pleasure. Thank you for taking the time to write all the wonderful comments that you did. If you come the North Conway area again, please come stay with us.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed two nights and were upgraded to a two room suite which was more than spacious. It had a gas fireplace and a separate bedroom. The only complaint I have is that while they've upgraded all the TVs to flat screens, their cable service is atrocious! It makes the TVs almost unwatchable. When I asked, the staff apologized and said they didn't know when the cable would be upgraded - I hope it's darn soon. Other than that, a great, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Try to book room 211, a two room suite with fireplace.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying and for writing this review. We are taking on a new look. I'm sorry that the cable was not what you needed. We are in the process of getting a new service in house. Sorry for the inconvenience. Next time you stay we will have it place. It was our pleasure to serve you!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently booked a motorcycle trip through New England and new the odds of getting a hotel during leaf season, so I book with my Holiday Inn priority club the three hotels 9 rooms. I went through corporate booking and even though I called two times to confirm they made a mistake, so when we arrived at or last stop it was not reserved it was in another town 2hrs away. It was not a total loss due to Patti Wagner the Hotel manager that set us up in another hotel that she had ties with. Terrible corporate governance saved by excellent hotel management.

Room Tip: Call direct do not book through corporate.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for writing about me! I remember you very well. I'm sorry that there was such a mix up but, I'm glad that you also worked with me so I could get your hotel needs met. It was really my pleasure to help you and hopefully next time you come to North Conway just phone the hotel direct for you travel needs.
Thank you again for your kind words!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

It was a good location near the attractions and the shopping outlet village. The staff was excellent and very friendly and helpful.

The room we were given was a suite and therefore large, however the bathroom was dated and needs upgrading. The bedroom and bathroom ceilings had been repaired and there were large square panels were openings had been made. We were also right above the hotel entrance and were woken at 6.30 am by a tour bus leaving with all the noise this entails.

The breakfast was very poor in my opinion, all the cutlery, plates and cups were paper disposable types the plastic knife you could not spread the butter with. The coffee was undrinkable and the "orange" juice was watered down stuff also undrinkable, we had to go out in the town to get a good breakfast.

I wanted to check into the Red Jacket resort just down the road but this was fully booked for the night of my stay, I would not recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear RockTraveller,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I am delighted you were pleased with our convenient location and found our staff helpful with your needs. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations, and I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the outside noise, room accommodations and quality of food served during breakfast. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N