“Very disappointed”

North Conway Grand Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed May 7, 2006

Arrived in 81 degree heat on May 5th . Room air conditioner did not work. Had to sleep with the slider open 2 nights in a row good thing we were on the 3rd floor. Jacq tub did not work paid extra for the room. First night the toilet overflowed all night long. The walls are very thin you can hear it all.

The front desk was rude when I called to complain Sat morning eventually sent a repair man for the toilet that's it. Out of luck for the tub and air conditioning. Very pricey. Conference going on very rude guests. Food at the hotel was terrible. Dessert was great. Would not recommend the hotel to anyone. So much for a romantic getaway!

3  Thank Dissatisfied0008
There are newer reviews for North Conway Grand Hotel

Reviewed May 2, 2006

My daughters and I head to North Conway every April School Vacation to do some shopping. The location of the hotel is great, you are literally steps from the outlets.
I suppose by the name of the hotel "Grand Hotel" I was expecting more. The room
was clean, but looked old. There were stains on the chairs and the carpet, and the
wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling.
The bathroom was typical, but again seemed "old" but not in an antique way. It was
however, clean.
The pool was nice. But very crowded.
The breakfast was a buffet, the food was ok, but cold. Our waitress was very friendly.
The staff was nice, we were given the wrong room upon arrrival, but that was rectified
immediately.
The view was of the roof and the airconditioning units.
We didn't spend alot of time in the room, if we had, we would have been disappointed.
This was our first time staying here. We have stayed in other Hotels in North Conway,
and next year we will stay in one of those.
If you do go, be sure to make a stop downtown, it its worth the trip.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank TraciofNH
A TripAdvisor Member
Asbury Park, NJ
Reviewed April 5, 2006

My husband and I just stayed at the North Conway Grand Hotel for our anniversary weekend and I must say that it was one of our most pleasant travel experiences. Not only were the staff very helpful and friendly but our room was amazingly well kept and clean. I am not sure if it is just particulars room with issues like in the last review.

I also admired the location. With the outlet shopping right outside the doors of the hotel and a scenic veiw of the mountains as you browse the stores. My husband has an admiration for the outdoors, so he was very grateful that we chose to stay in New Hampshire.

A fine location and it was decided that we would definately be willing to stay here again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We stayed in one of the larger 2 bedroom suites for $250 a night.

The room is perfect size for family of five with kids in one room and my wife and I in the other room for some nice private time. But carpeting was worn and dirty looking. Dirty bathroom tile grout, buckled ceiling sheet rock from poor b.r. ventilation, ripped screen door to balcony all added up to 'why i am I paying $250 a night for a suite that is in need of repair??'.

We first stayed at this property in 98 and would have given it 5 stars then, but not anymore.

Check-out time is a free for all if you're waiting to get a luggage cart. Luggage cart rage abounded over who would get the next empty cart.

Swimming pool: over crowded.

Breakfast was decent. Didn't try dinner.

Location to OVP is about the only positive.

I hate to say this, but for a better quality room and property the no frills Comfort Inn down the street and the HI Express across the street are actually better. They are newer and cleaner hotels vs the overused NC Grand.

Also, if you really want to stay at a "Grand" Hotel, you need to drive about 30 miles up to Bretton Woods to the Mt. Washington. Now that's a TRUE "Grand" Hotel and worth every cent of the $550/night we dropped there. But that's another review for another time. NC Grand was formerly a Four Points Sheraton property and is just a run of the mill institutional, modern day high volume property lacking in the attributes of a true "Grand" hotel.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank tristateny
A TripAdvisor Member
Auburn, Maine
Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and two small children spent two nights in the middle of the week here. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite but probably a regular would have been fine also, and cheaper. Small bathrooms with no ventilation is about the only thing I can nitpick about. Otherwise it was aperfect trip except when my car battery died while I tried to sneak away for a few hours skiing. The kids absolutely loved the pool. But the hotel should ease up on the chlorine use. My wife loved it because the location is fantastic, right in the middle of the outlets. I didn't bother with the hotel food, we went out. Perfect family hotel. I can't understand the negative reviews I've seen. If you don't have kids and are looking for some private time, and peace look elsewhere. The staff was very nice and friendly. I can't wait to go back, and I know I speak for the entire family.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 17, 2006

this hotel is a "flagship" hotel of the travel company we used and is not worthy of the name. children who were rude and noisy roamed the corridors all evening, dominated the pool and made a quiet sit in the hot tub pretty impossible. the staff were the least helpful i have found in the u.s and i was disappointed to see that the bar closed at 11pm. the rooms were ok but the 24 turnaround in laundry was actually 4 days.

4  Thank veryshiny
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Needed a little R&R between two jobs (quit one to accept another one starting a few days later), so I have decided to head to North Conway. I have visited the region last summer to hike in the White Mountains, and wanted to see how it looked like in winter and do a little alpine skiing.

Last time I stayed at the Green Granite - nice and inexpensive, but a little old. Wanted to head to a better place this time, so I've chosen the Grand. Conveniently located next to the factory outlets (which I enjoy - even being a guy - a dream for my girlfriend!), the Grand fulfilled all my needs.

I have chosen a jacuzzi room, to relax after a day of skiing. I have no regrets for this! The room was priced $109 (in the weekends, this price increases to $179, so watch out!) and had a bathroom, a living room with TV, sink, small fridge and microwave, and an additional room with the bed, another TV, and the jacuzzi. Room was clean, nothing excessive as for furniture, and bed was comfortable. (Only drawback - the small fridge was making a strange noise once in a while, but it lasted only a few minutes every hour.)

I have used the hotel's restaurant only once, for the breakfast buffet; it was very good and reasonably priced ($9.99).

To summarize, the North Conway Grand Hotel is a great choice for the area and you get a great value for your price. I have not been to the Holiday Inn Express but checking the prices, I find the Grand's rates very reasonable.

6  Thank Dilbert450