“High Turnover Rooms Show Their Wear”

North Conway Grand Hotel
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
new nyc
“High Turnover Rooms Show Their Wear”
Reviewed March 25, 2006

We stayed in one of the larger 2 bedroom suites for $250 a night.

The room is perfect size for family of five with kids in one room and my wife and I in the other room for some nice private time. But carpeting was worn and dirty looking. Dirty bathroom tile grout, buckled ceiling sheet rock from poor b.r. ventilation, ripped screen door to balcony all added up to 'why i am I paying $250 a night for a suite that is in need of repair??'.

We first stayed at this property in 98 and would have given it 5 stars then, but not anymore.

Check-out time is a free for all if you're waiting to get a luggage cart. Luggage cart rage abounded over who would get the next empty cart.

Swimming pool: over crowded.

Breakfast was decent. Didn't try dinner.

Location to OVP is about the only positive.

I hate to say this, but for a better quality room and property the no frills Comfort Inn down the street and the HI Express across the street are actually better. They are newer and cleaner hotels vs the overused NC Grand.

Also, if you really want to stay at a "Grand" Hotel, you need to drive about 30 miles up to Bretton Woods to the Mt. Washington. Now that's a TRUE "Grand" Hotel and worth every cent of the $550/night we dropped there. But that's another review for another time. NC Grand was formerly a Four Points Sheraton property and is just a run of the mill institutional, modern day high volume property lacking in the attributes of a true "Grand" hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank tristateny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

My wife and two small children spent two nights in the middle of the week here. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite but probably a regular would have been fine also, and cheaper. Small bathrooms with no ventilation is about the only thing I can nitpick about. Otherwise it was aperfect trip except when my car battery died while I tried to sneak away for a few hours skiing. The kids absolutely loved the pool. But the hotel should ease up on the chlorine use. My wife loved it because the location is fantastic, right in the middle of the outlets. I didn't bother with the hotel food, we went out. Perfect family hotel. I can't understand the negative reviews I've seen. If you don't have kids and are looking for some private time, and peace look elsewhere. The staff was very nice and friendly. I can't wait to go back, and I know I speak for the entire family.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2006

this hotel is a "flagship" hotel of the travel company we used and is not worthy of the name. children who were rude and noisy roamed the corridors all evening, dominated the pool and made a quiet sit in the hot tub pretty impossible. the staff were the least helpful i have found in the u.s and i was disappointed to see that the bar closed at 11pm. the rooms were ok but the 24 turnaround in laundry was actually 4 days.

4 Thank veryshiny
Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Needed a little R&R between two jobs (quit one to accept another one starting a few days later), so I have decided to head to North Conway. I have visited the region last summer to hike in the White Mountains, and wanted to see how it looked like in winter and do a little alpine skiing.

Last time I stayed at the Green Granite - nice and inexpensive, but a little old. Wanted to head to a better place this time, so I've chosen the Grand. Conveniently located next to the factory outlets (which I enjoy - even being a guy - a dream for my girlfriend!), the Grand fulfilled all my needs.

I have chosen a jacuzzi room, to relax after a day of skiing. I have no regrets for this! The room was priced $109 (in the weekends, this price increases to $179, so watch out!) and had a bathroom, a living room with TV, sink, small fridge and microwave, and an additional room with the bed, another TV, and the jacuzzi. Room was clean, nothing excessive as for furniture, and bed was comfortable. (Only drawback - the small fridge was making a strange noise once in a while, but it lasted only a few minutes every hour.)

I have used the hotel's restaurant only once, for the breakfast buffet; it was very good and reasonably priced ($9.99).

To summarize, the North Conway Grand Hotel is a great choice for the area and you get a great value for your price. I have not been to the Holiday Inn Express but checking the prices, I find the Grand's rates very reasonable.

6 Thank Dilbert450
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 26, 2006

We headed to the Grand for Febuary Vacation. We booked a few months out but there were still rooms available when we checked in. We had a corner suite and other than being a walk from the elevators, it was great. The 5 of us were very comfortable in the room. The bathroom was fine but could have used a fan. Breakfast was nice but since we were on the run, we could not eat $10 worth of food so we started getting donuts and stuff laster in the week. The pool was never crowded when we were there 6-10 people tops. Would book again just note that their prices are cheaper if you go in a non vacation period, our room was $200 greater because of vacations.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank GaryWT
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2006

The location to shopping and restaurants is perfect, a very accomodating staff, the price was great, couldn't ask for better. Brats in the pool?.....just complain to the staff, it's taken care of. Despite what you read in other reviews, you do NOT need to book a year in advance; one week was good for me. Will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed February 12, 2006

Be aware that while it is a good location, a bit pricey, the pool is a zoo! Rude children and parents. Obnoxious comes to mind. The breakfast buffet was very nice especially if you have children. Timing is everything in planning to eat there. For the price it's worth the din. Go someplace else to eat with a family and you spend a small fortune. If you are planning to stay there you need to book a year or more in advance---no joke! Had a major leak in the bathroom, called in the afternoon and someone came the next morning!

• Stayed July 2005