“Great Place”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in North Conway
ramapo mountin
“Great Place”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

the place was worth everypenny the out door pool was great my three kids loved the pool when it was time to close the outdoor pool at nine at night they had to try and pull us out i had to bribe my kids to come inn. the breakfeast was good kid ate for free
it was worth it great place to stay my kids want to come back

• Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston
Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel is very nice for families. The breakfast buffet is $11 for adults and free for kids under 12 and is good. The restuarant is reasonable and has a pretty good selection. The pools are very nice the outside pools are heated; kiddie pool is gradually 2 feet deep and the kids love the fountains. Overall the hotel is very family friendly and clean. Go online to the hotel to book with the summer sizzle rates... its the cheapeast

• Liked — Pool and the breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — nothing
1 Thank mentalmidget0816
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I am always leary booking a place sight unseen with no personal stories from people I know but the pictures on the web site looked great and the rate seemed reasonable so I went ahead. I was very happy. My husband, my 17 year old son and my 6 year old son and I stayed for three nights and definitely will be back.

It was great to be able to park our car and not need to get in it again until we went sight seeing around the area. We had come to do some outlet shopping so having the shops right there was terrific. When I (8 months pregnant) or my six year old got tired we just headed to our room or to the pool for a rest while my husband and teenager kept on shopping.

My six year old LOVED the pools and I enjoyed being able to sit on the side and watch him swim instead of having to be in the pool with him all the time. The pools are not very deep so I didn't have to worry about him. My husband and son enjoyed the hot tubs, sauna and work out room.

Our room was great and the perfect size for the 4 of us. (two queen beds) We had breakfast int eh hotel one day and it was worth it. I had the continental and there was plenty of choice for me, my six year old ate free and the other two had the full buffet. The boys enjoyed making their own waffles and they said they were really good. They smartly have pre-measured portions of waffle mix ready for you to put on the waffle makers.

We will stay again when we return.

• Liked — Closeness to shopping
2 Thank PEI_mom
Spain
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Spent 3 days at this Hotel at the start of the month. It is very well situated for both shopping and sightseeing. The Outlets are literally at the back door of the Hotel. The bedrooms are fine, spacious and well appointed. The air con is ancient however and is light a tractor in the room This was the same in both our rooms. The Staff were extremely nice and very well spoken, a cut above the norm definately. We spoke to a couple of them and discovered that they look after ski chalets in winter. One exception is the Barman, he is a grumpy lump who seems to have missed charm school. Ate dinner once in Restaurant and was very surprised at the quality of food because atmosphere would not lead you to think it was any more than bog standard. The non wine, wine glasses are a joke and should be replaced immediately. Who ordered them for a Hotel? Have they ever ordered a glass of wine? Breakfast is plentiful and ok.

However the whole place is infested with small children. Everywhere with their ridiculous parents who seem to think it is acceptable that their brats run around, scream, shout and carry on with no correction from Parents.The public areas of the Hotel are a no go area. Children go free and obviously all pile into the large bedrooms. We were 3 adults and appeared to be the only guests not possessed of a brood. You really need a high tolerance for children to even think of staying here. In all my many years of travelling I have never seen anything like it. Most of the Parents hadn't a clue and need the services of Nanny from the TV.

I would never stay there again without at least 4 children! I don't reccommend it either for any independent travellors.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank frankiedSpain
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I reserved a room on line directly with the hotel's web site. The price of $189 seemed great for a room with 2 queen beds during the hight of the summer season.
Check in time was 3 pm. We decided to go straight to StoryLand first so that we could take advantage of their afternoon offer. We arrived at the hotel to check in at 6:30pm. Our room was gone. They had overbooked and said 'sorry'. Another woman next to me had the same problem except, her extended family was staying at the hotel and she was very upset. I decided not to make a scene and let her have any rooms they may be able to 'dig' up. I was honestly so shocked, I could barely speak. Traveling with 2 small children, I just needed to find a place to stay. Luckily, we found another hotel - it lacked some of the amenities that the North Conway Grand has and for $20 less, it really wasn't worth it - but we were able to stay in the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Check In Policy
Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2008

The main reason we wanted to stay here was because they have jacuzzi's in some rooms. We arrived in the early afternoon on the 4th of July - they only had THREE people working behind the desk, so we stood in a line of 15 to 20 people waiting to check in. After 45 minutes, we finally got to our room. We walked in expecting a lot since we paid OVER $250.00 for ONE NIGHT. It was the most bland room I've ever seen. The bathroom was the size of a small closet and it was overall very unimpressive. Once we checked out, we'd gone to a better hotel for the 2nd night (Red Jackets Mountain View) That night we'd realized we'd left a sweater in our old room. We called the Grand Hotel and they'd told us that housekeeping was closed and to check back tomorrow. She was VERY RUDE and VERY UNWILLING TO HELP. So , we decided to pay her a visit and then she managed to get the housekeeping closet open and to give us our sweater. It was painful.

Overall it was very overpriced and understaffed. They didnt care about how long it took for service and they were certainly not concerned about making their customers happy.

If you are willing to spend that kind of money for a room with a jacuzzi, just pay the extra $20 and book a room at the Adventure Suites!!!!!!

• Liked — jacuzzi
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsTardif
MA
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We have been to Nh many times but this was our first stay at the North Conway Grand. I was unsure with some of the mixed reviews but it was great! Our room was clean and an average size. We used both the indoor and outdoor pools plus the hot tubs and they were heated fine. The kids loved the kiddie pool and it was a perfect size for my two 5 year olds!

We had the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was yummy!! My DH loved to make his own waffles and the kids loved the varity of foods they could have. We also had dinner one night in the hotel but it was just OK. We did have a large party but service was slow and food was just ok for the high prices. I will skip the dinner next time around,there are better places to eat in the erea.

I will stay here again that's for sure!!

• Liked — great breakfast buffet
  • Disliked — Skip the dinner in hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family