“Another ok stay”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
maine
“Another ok stay”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We do really like this hotel We stayed early Aug.. I reserved a room with 2 queen beds..Myself husband and our grandaughter...Checked in and went up to our room. I opened the door and the room had 1 large bed!!! For 3 people $219.00 a night ..Went right back to front desk and was told they could not change are room( wonder what happened to room I had reserved with two queen beds?) but would give us a free cot. !!!! For the price we did not want to sleep on a cot. She asked if I wanted to speak to the manager and I said yes. She came back with in a minute and said she could change are room to 2 queens which I had reserved. Other wise stay was good. Was busy that time of year and the pools could of been cleaner alot of bugs floating in the outside pool...We will come back always stay here..

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing settlers green
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Groveland, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was our second family trip to North Conway. We stayed at the North Conway Grand both times and plan to return next year. The hotel staff were professional and courteous. The rooms are kept clean and tidy. The beds are very comfortable. We only ate at the hotel for breakfast which is a buffet style and is very good. We ate lunch and dinner around North Conway. The hotel is located just behind the Settler's Green Outlets and shops. You can walk out of the hotel and right to the outlets which is great! They have movie nights, cookies in the lobby around 4:00 P.M. and ice cream socials for the kids (also for big kids too!). The pools are great for everyone. Two outside with a jacuzzi and one inside with a jacuzzi. Also outside of the pool area is a playground for kids which is awesome as well! It's about a 20 minute drive to Story Land and is close to everything. Overall the North Conway Grand is a great place to stay if visiting North Conway. We had a great experience and would suggest the North Conway Grand to anyone.

Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great hotel for families! We enjoyed all 3 of the hotel's pools and the kids had fun in the arcade. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. We also liked the location as many shops and restaurants are within walking distance. The fact that kids 12 and under eat breakfast for free was awesome. In my opinion, North Conway Grand Hotel is the best place to stay!

Room Tip: We have 11 year old twins and the room with 2 queen sized beds was very roomy and comfortable for al...
North Dighton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been here twice, once for a girls weekend of outlet shopping, and most recently with my husband and three year old twin boys! We had an amazing few days! The hotel itself was so family oriented! The boys loved the pools, the kid splash pad and the playground! So much for them to do,and to keep them occupied! Also they have a dvd player in each and movies you can borrow at the front desk for free! Just perfect! Definitely planning another vacation for next year! Also a HUGE plus, is its so close to Storyland! :)

Billerica MA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at the North Conway many times and been happy. However this trip wasnt so great. Our first night there the a/c in our room stopped working around 10pm. We figured it out around 1am, when our room reached a stuffy 79 degrees. I went down to the front desk and rang the bell and obviously woke the clerk up from another room. I asked her if she knew if there was a problem with the air conditioning since our room was so hot. She looked at me puzzled and told me no one had reported it, but she could sent maintenance to our room. Considering my kids were sleeping I declined and returned to my room, where my husband & I splashed cold water on our faces the rest of the night to cool ourselves down. The next morning when we left for breakfast, I saw a tool cart and what looked to be a maintenance man in our hallway. I asked again down at the front desk if it was our room, our floor, or the hotel and was told they were unaware of any problems even after I had told her I was there at 1am. When we returned to our room later in the day, the a/c was working again. That night we went to the outdoor pool. There was about 15 kids in the hot tub, under the age of 10 and the pool was full of young kids so we opted for the indoor pool. As I approached the indoor hot tub, with only 3 kids in it, on the way into the steps, I observed what looked like to be vomit. I assume some young kid had been in there and the heat made them sick. I grabbed our towels and we headed back to the room. The only staff I saw at the pool was one bringing clean towels. I wished they had staff periodically monitor the irresponsible parents who allow their young children into the hottubs. (even though there is a sign posted) Upon check out I was never asked if I enjoyed my stay. The staff at the desk did not seen friendly. You'd think for the inconvenience they would have offered us a free breakfast, or at least apologized, but nothing but a blank confused stare.

2 Thank Beenthere&donethat
MASSACHUSETTS
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a very last minute overnight. In fact, we booked the room the morning we were leaving for NH. We found the hotel doing some online searching through trip advisor. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay and will probably return for a longer visit at some point.

To get the "bad" out of the way first - It's not necessarily the cleanest hotel. The lobby could have used a little tending to with a vacuum. The room wasn't too bad. The pools - definitely needed cleaning. The outdoor pool was cloudy and had bugs floating in it. Certainly not "un-useable" dirty, but definitely dirtier than I expected it to be. That being said, I've seen worse hotels. The front desk staff was "ok" but not great.

All that aside - we were happy with our choice. I would concur with other reviewers - this is NOT the hotel for a romantic getaway. It is definitely family oriented. And in my opinion - they do a good job of catering to families. Although we only stayed one night, so we didn't get to take advantage of everything, they do have daily activities - crafts, movies, ice cream socials - and they make you aware of all this when you check in. They have a small arcade, three pools - one indoor and two outdoor, including a zero entry kiddie pool, ping pong tables outside, life size chess and a playground. For the grownups, there were two hot tubs and a firepit.

The room was typical, standard hotel stuff. We had a room with two queen beds. It's a nice touch that there are dvd players in the room. (We saw that they had a big collection of dvds at the front desk that you could sign out as well.) The room was clean enough. Beds were decent, a bit hard, but not horrible. We had no trouble accessing the WiFi from our room. I didn't notice any excessive noise between rooms and the room and the hall, as other reviewers noted. And there were definitely lots of kids in the hotel. We arrived just after noon time and our room was not ready, which we didn't expect it to be. We were able to purchase discount tickets for a local attraction and go on our way for the day. By the time we returned from our adventure, our room was ready. I do get the sense that the summer tourist season was winding down. While it was definitely "crowded", it certainly wasn't at capacity. I noticed a lot of other reviewers complaining about overcrowding. We may have been lucky with our timing.

It is located at the back of the outlets. That's a "plus" for some, maybe a "minus" for others. You still have nice views of mountains. Of course, those views are everywhere! There are plenty of restaurants and shops close by. Again, we only visited for the night but it seems there is plenty to do in the area.

All in all, a decent stay. I'm not sure the room itself is worth the $164 per night (room w/ taxes), however, when you consider all the kid friendly activities they offer, it certainly balances out. It seemed to us that the hotel tries very hard. I'm not sure they are all they way there yet, but they do seem to be making the effort.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We went to this hotel expecting a nice hotel. Honestly, I felt like I was at the Friendly's of hotels. There were children and families everywhere. You could hear them running down the halls at night and in the morning when we were trying to sleep in. the rooms were nice, but nothing to write home about. The bed was not comfortable. The TV was nice. But the wifi was terrible. We found ourselves finding back exits so that we did not have to go through the lobby that had large stuffed animals (not real animals, large toys) as decorations. Oh, and did I mention that we had to wait in line for 30minutes to check in? We arrived 30minutes prior to the 4pm check in (late if you ask me) and were told that rooms were not ready, so we went to a local restaurant and came back an hour later only to stand in line until after 5pm. The pools were full of children and families, even later into the evening, 9pm and later, and it felt kind of gross. We are pretty easy going and typically do not have much to complain about, but the description of this hotel online was so different than it was in reality I felt compelled to let people know.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple