“Disappointed”

North Conway Grand Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at the North Conway many times and been happy. However this trip wasnt so great. Our first night there the a/c in our room stopped working around 10pm. We figured it out around 1am, when our room reached a stuffy 79 degrees. I went down to the front desk and rang the bell and obviously woke the clerk up from another room. I asked her if she knew if there was a problem with the air conditioning since our room was so hot. She looked at me puzzled and told me no one had reported it, but she could sent maintenance to our room. Considering my kids were sleeping I declined and returned to my room, where my husband & I splashed cold water on our faces the rest of the night to cool ourselves down. The next morning when we left for breakfast, I saw a tool cart and what looked to be a maintenance man in our hallway. I asked again down at the front desk if it was our room, our floor, or the hotel and was told they were unaware of any problems even after I had told her I was there at 1am. When we returned to our room later in the day, the a/c was working again. That night we went to the outdoor pool. There was about 15 kids in the hot tub, under the age of 10 and the pool was full of young kids so we opted for the indoor pool. As I approached the indoor hot tub, with only 3 kids in it, on the way into the steps, I observed what looked like to be vomit. I assume some young kid had been in there and the heat made them sick. I grabbed our towels and we headed back to the room. The only staff I saw at the pool was one bringing clean towels. I wished they had staff periodically monitor the irresponsible parents who allow their young children into the hottubs. (even though there is a sign posted) Upon check out I was never asked if I enjoyed my stay. The staff at the desk did not seen friendly. You'd think for the inconvenience they would have offered us a free breakfast, or at least apologized, but nothing but a blank confused stare.

2  Thank Beenthere&donethat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,434)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was a very last minute overnight. In fact, we booked the room the morning we were leaving for NH. We found the hotel doing some online searching through trip advisor. We were pleasantly surprised with our stay and will probably return for a longer visit at some point.

To get the "bad" out of the way first - It's not necessarily the cleanest hotel. The lobby could have used a little tending to with a vacuum. The room wasn't too bad. The pools - definitely needed cleaning. The outdoor pool was cloudy and had bugs floating in it. Certainly not "un-useable" dirty, but definitely dirtier than I expected it to be. That being said, I've seen worse hotels. The front desk staff was "ok" but not great.

All that aside - we were happy with our choice. I would concur with other reviewers - this is NOT the hotel for a romantic getaway. It is definitely family oriented. And in my opinion - they do a good job of catering to families. Although we only stayed one night, so we didn't get to take advantage of everything, they do have daily activities - crafts, movies, ice cream socials - and they make you aware of all this when you check in. They have a small arcade, three pools - one indoor and two outdoor, including a zero entry kiddie pool, ping pong tables outside, life size chess and a playground. For the grownups, there were two hot tubs and a firepit.

The room was typical, standard hotel stuff. We had a room with two queen beds. It's a nice touch that there are dvd players in the room. (We saw that they had a big collection of dvds at the front desk that you could sign out as well.) The room was clean enough. Beds were decent, a bit hard, but not horrible. We had no trouble accessing the WiFi from our room. I didn't notice any excessive noise between rooms and the room and the hall, as other reviewers noted. And there were definitely lots of kids in the hotel. We arrived just after noon time and our room was not ready, which we didn't expect it to be. We were able to purchase discount tickets for a local attraction and go on our way for the day. By the time we returned from our adventure, our room was ready. I do get the sense that the summer tourist season was winding down. While it was definitely "crowded", it certainly wasn't at capacity. I noticed a lot of other reviewers complaining about overcrowding. We may have been lucky with our timing.

It is located at the back of the outlets. That's a "plus" for some, maybe a "minus" for others. You still have nice views of mountains. Of course, those views are everywhere! There are plenty of restaurants and shops close by. Again, we only visited for the night but it seems there is plenty to do in the area.

All in all, a decent stay. I'm not sure the room itself is worth the $164 per night (room w/ taxes), however, when you consider all the kid friendly activities they offer, it certainly balances out. It seemed to us that the hotel tries very hard. I'm not sure they are all they way there yet, but they do seem to be making the effort.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We went to this hotel expecting a nice hotel. Honestly, I felt like I was at the Friendly's of hotels. There were children and families everywhere. You could hear them running down the halls at night and in the morning when we were trying to sleep in. the rooms were nice, but nothing to write home about. The bed was not comfortable. The TV was nice. But the wifi was terrible. We found ourselves finding back exits so that we did not have to go through the lobby that had large stuffed animals (not real animals, large toys) as decorations. Oh, and did I mention that we had to wait in line for 30minutes to check in? We arrived 30minutes prior to the 4pm check in (late if you ask me) and were told that rooms were not ready, so we went to a local restaurant and came back an hour later only to stand in line until after 5pm. The pools were full of children and families, even later into the evening, 9pm and later, and it felt kind of gross. We are pretty easy going and typically do not have much to complain about, but the description of this hotel online was so different than it was in reality I felt compelled to let people know.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cooperkeegan
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Great family friendly hotel. The pools are a great place to unwind after a day at Storyland and being able to order pizza poolside is a great plus. The rooms are basic hotel rooms, we had a king bed with pullout queen sofa which worked well for our family of 5. The late afternoon juice and cookies in the foyer is certainly nice to come home to. Great to be able to pop out and do some shopping for the mums while dad and the kids swim.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here numerous times. It is a great hotel. Clean rooms, hallways and pool area. The location is excellent. Walking distance to all the factory outlet stores at Settlers Green. Staff are great.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 30, 2013

lovely rooms and beds and bathroom, very nice outdoor andindoor ools and gym but go early because it was kids week...there were at least 60 small kids in pool area and the only troublling issue was the lack of fecal protections in the pool, few if any were wearing swim diapers (if that helps) and that would be my only issue

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here the middle of August. We were in North Conway to spend some time school shopping and to visit my step daughter who lives there. The room was ready 20 minutes early. It was clean and well appointed. We had asked for a roll away and it wasn't there...no big deal. The hotel was chock full of families with kids and there was quite a bit of hall noise. It quieted down early though. My husband tried to take the kids to the pool. There is an outdoor and indoor pool. It was mobbed...even at 8:00 on a Sunday night. They couldn't find seats to even put their stuff on. They said the pool was warm and great.

I wouldn't stay here for a romantics get away but it was perfect for us and we will stay again. They best part was the breakfast buffet. The kids were free ( ours was a bit pricey I thought...about $11) and everyone came away full and happy