“Never Again”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in North Conway
Boston, MA
“Never Again”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

My fiance and I stayed here for the weekend on a friend's recommendation. I was very apprehensive after reading some of the reviews here regarding how noisy the kids were. In retrospect, I should have listened to the reviews here because it was a nightmare. The front desk staff was very nice and the room was clean, but the noise level was unbearable. We seemed to be the only guests without children and the kids were the worst behaved I have ever seen in my life. They ran up and down the hallways from about 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. at night. It was only quiet for a few hours during the day when they were skiing or shopping or whatever. The kids took over the pool and hot tub and dived into the pool despite the "No Diving" sign and started throwing water from the hot tub into the pool. UGH The staff was never around so obviously they didn't care. I would NEVER stay here again because of the staff's lax and overly accomodating attitude towards the children's behavior. I hardly saw any parents around so apparently they didn't care either that their kids were running wild. They also charge a lot of money for very little amenities. I really wish I had checked out the first night and found another hotel.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank Vanessa306

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Donegal
Reviewed March 7, 2008

Hi there, I have recently stayed for a week in the North Conway Grand with a ski group from Ireland. We have skied all over Europe from Finland, France, Italy, Switzerland and we had one of the best weeks ever in NH. Everything was exceptional from the clean warm and spacious roms, to the buffet breakfast and dinner to the transfers to the ski stations.

The breakfasts have all the things needed to keep the fire stoked for a day on the pistes - eggs, muffins, waffles and french toast along with cereal and coffee! I am trying to get another group in the same hotel again next year but not surprising to hear iit is heavily booked. The pools are wonderful and great to ease the muscles after a day on the slopes. At the back door we have a paradise for those needing retail therapy - settlers green - I never thought that I would seen teenage boys take to shopping with such energy!

The policy of the hotel would appear to be to get return visitors and they do a great job. Everyone in the hotel is pleasant and of great help and I will be going back to the hotel again. The perfect base for tackling many of the resorts in NH
Neil

• Liked — Standard of servive and the food and pools, well the location as well and the shopping!!!!
  • Disliked — I still needed id in the bar!! well I can live with that!!!
  • Stayed January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank el_capo-flash
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed March 7, 2008

We stayed here 2/27-3/03 (5 nights). The place was a zoo from 7 A.M. to 10 P.M. every day! Kids everywhere. They even play games in the bar at night in their pajamas. There was no where to sit in the lobby. Parents let the kids treat the entire place like their personal playground. They would run from room to room all evening, slamming the doors behind them. This place is like Disneyland shoved into one building. "This is all part of our new kinder, gentler, let's be friends with our kids and let them do anything they want society". Parents who allow them to run wild everywhere with absolutely no regards for anyone else. It was a joke!! The Hotel would not or could not get a handle on it, so they just let it happen.
I would recommend that booking dates be carefully screened at this hotel to ensure there is no "Family Vacations" planned, or you will be miserable.
Other then the fact that the "Grand" is badly in need of room renovations, it is a nice hotel and the staff are absolutely super, very courteous folks. They'll bend over backwards to help you. Unfortunately, all that good intention cannot make up for the chaos that happens in front of them.

• Liked — Proximity to Relatives
  • Disliked — Loisey! Crowded! Obnoxious Kids and Parents! Very Antiquated Bathroom Facilities!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jazzdaddy
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed here with our 7 yr old daughter. I loved the hotel. It had all the amentities.... hair dryer, iron and ironing board, mircrowave and mini fridge. The room was spacious with two queen beds. There were mints on the pillow with a welcome note upon arrival. The room was spotless. The outdoor heated pool and hot tub was great. They also have an indoor pool and hot tub too. Just step outside the hotel door and shopping is right there. (Settlers Green). Hot chocolate and cookies from 4-6 pm and ice skateing with bonfires. I think it was a good value considering what hotels cost these days. The only thing that the hotel could do is update the room decor. Although the room was clean and neat as a pin the room could use some updating.

• Stayed February 2008
Lexington, MA
Reviewed January 11, 2008

We vacation every fall in the North Conway area, so we've stayed at about a dozen lodgings of all types, some more than once. Over the last few years, though, we've tended to gravitate toward the North Conway Grand Hotel. For our needs, it seems to be just about the perfect place.
If you're looking for the sort of personalized attention you'd get at a small bed and breakfast, then the Grand is not for you. It is, after all, a fairly large hotel, although we've found the staff to be professional and helpful when asked. If you know your way around the area, though, and just want to go about your business, you'll find it a comfortable place to be.
We always get a room with a jacuzzi in it, either a regular jacuzzi room or one of the jacuzzi suites. They offer a junior jacuzzi suite which is nice if you'd like a little more space and a couch, but don't need a larger, two-room suite. Usually when we're there it is during the baseball playoffs, and watching the Red Sox from the in-room jacuzzi minimizes the stress level of the games. The hotel offers free use of its DVD collection, but it's not very extensive, and most of the movies are pretty old.
We don't use the hotel's restaurant much, since there are a lot of good places to eat in the area, and we have our favorites. The breakfast buffet deserves to be mentioned, though. The spread is exceptional, including just about anything you could want for breakfast. Waffles, eggs, toast, sausage, muffins, bagels, cereal and more are all on the menu. The only disadvantage is that there is no a la carte option; the only choice is one price for whatever you want at the buffet. If you're a coffee-and-muffin-only person, you'll be greatly overpaying for your meal.
We always do some outlet shopping when we're in North Conway, and one of the best features of the Grand is that is just happens to back up to one of the biggest outlet sites in the area. Go out the back door of the Grand, and your in the midst of the stores; no need to get back in your car.
We're usually too busy to use the indoor or outdoor pools, but plenty of other reviewers have covered those. I can say that the pools look clean and comfortable, and that the view of the mountains from the outdoor pool area is spectacular.
I should point out that we always visit North Conway in the off season, never in the summer or winter, and always either before or after peak foliage time. So I can't give you an idea of what the hotel would be like during crowded times, especially if a lot of children are around, although the busloads of senior citizens who are usually there when we are do not present a problem.
But for our needs, at the season we visit North Conway, the Grand is just about the perfect place for us to stay.

• Liked — The convenient and scenic location.
  • Disliked — Nothing worth mentioning.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eagle68
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed December 19, 2007

I can't even begin to descrive how wonderful our stay at the North Conway Grand Hotel was. My famiy and I stayed at the hotel over Thanksgiving weekend. From the moment we walked into the door, I knew that it was going to be a great stay. Staff members at check in treated each guest as a VIP. The guest room was spotless (and I searched for even the smallest hair - which I could not find). The restaurant food was delicious and the servers - fantastic. We plan on visiting North Conway again in September and we will definitely be staying at the North Conway Grand.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank queenbeeshoney1963
Merrimack, NH
Reviewed December 5, 2007

My girlfriends and I stayed at the North Conway Grand Hotel 11/30 - 12/2 for our annual get together. We stayed in Room 337, which is referred to as a Family Suite. There were 5 of us. The suite is VERY spacious. It had one bedroom with a king size bed and a pull out full sized couch. The actual bed in the bedroom was very comfortable. The living room area had a full table and chairs, a pull out queen sized couch, wet bar and the room had one bathroom. The only drawback is that the pull out couches were EXTEMELY uncomfortable. They are not even good enough to sleep on. For the price you pay for this room, I am surprised that they would think anyone could actually sleep on the pull out couches. If you have children that aren't picky about the type of bed they sleep on then this might be a good place to stay. The proximity of this hotel to Settler's Green shopping can not be beat.. Children will love the indoor and all season outdoor pools and jacuzzis.

• Liked — Proximity to Shopping, Clean Hotel
  • Disliked — Extremely uncomfortable pull out couches for sleeping
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends