“A good-value family hotel”

Green Granite Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Boston, Massachusetts
“A good-value family hotel”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The Green Granite Inn is a great place to take children. The two pools - indoor and outdoor- and playground make it a great choice. The lobby has a little tractor, and lots of stuffed animals (I mean, real animals - stuffed) - that make it look like an old hunting lodge. My son thought it was pretty cool!

The staff are super friendly. That is one thing I saw in the other reviews and it was definitely true! They were helpful to everyone who came and asked them questions. They always made us feel welcome!

Breakfast is a typical hotel breakfast - like the Holiday Inn or the Residence Inn. Basically pastries, bagels, cereal, eggs, sausage. It's not fantastic - but it's free. The next day we had breakfast at the White Mountain Cider Company - much recommended!

The room we stayed in was on the first floor in one of the outer buildings. The decor was a bit dated - green plaid walls, the older "coverlet" style that hotels used to use, before many changed to using down comforters. The carpet and couches in dark muted colors definitely hid stains well and are probably a good choice for a family hotel. With all this in mind, we were very comfortable there - at home - because with a small child, there is nothing more uncomfortable than a fancy upscale hotel room filled with breakable objets d'arte. The bed was actually particularly comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows provided. Plenty of towels were provided and the soaking tub in the bathroom was nice. The TVs were older but worked well and had cable. The kitchen had a supply of dishes, a microwave and a mini-fridge. It's not luxury, but compared to prices of nearby hotels with suites, we feel that we got what we paid for.

Location-wise, it is right in the middle of North Conway. You are right next to Settler's Green, Starbucks, Hannafords (supermarket). There are restaurants all up and down this strip, and many of the sights are only a few minutes away. It was a great location to be in the middle of the action. Perhaps because of the heatwave - and the fact that we came midweek - North Conway didn't have its usual wall-to-wall traffic.

I can only make one complaint. We washed most of our dishes ourselves, but there was no sponge to do so. So, I thought - perhaps the housekeeping staff washes the dishes when they come. We had one dish that was unwashed - and it was still unwashed when we returned.

OK two - My other complaint would be that the hot tub in the indoor pool room looked rather strange. It was filled with bubbles and also some green colored stuff on top of the bubbles. It just didn't look clean to me! Maybe it was just a temporary situation.

1 Thank ShannonSomervilleMA
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review for us. We are all so proud to work here and have a great TEAM of employees! The pools are awesome and the free breakfast is convenient. In other responses I have mentioned our location is second to none and I will repeat this line because our guests love it. It is so great to be able to walk to all the tax free shopping and be outdoors.

We are close to so many restaurants and our town has lots of choices so it is easy for us to make recommendations! In our suites, housekeeping service does not include dish washing I do apologize that we were not clear with that and the jacuzzi just needed a little squirt of "foam out". This foam happens to any jacuzzi with lots of use.

Thank you so much for the positive review hope that the next time you visit North Conway you stay with us!!! We appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
new hampshire
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Once again green granite has impressed us with their hospitality and superior staffing.They truly go above and beyond to accomodate guests.They especially make families welcome,and what a relief for anxious parents.Even a mother robin is allowed to raise her babies on a beam on one of the patios undisturbed!All the front desk personnel are professional,yet approachable and friendly.Housekeeping staff are meticulous.The maintenance men are very efficient and personable.We all think so much of Brandon especially.The breakfast is comfortable and satisfying.We met Rita who impressed us with her warmth and attention to the guests at breakfast.Our overall stay was just perfect.Thank you Green Granite for a fabulous July get away!!!!!~Nelson and Donielle Stenson

1 Thank dstenson54
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear Guests,

Thank you for the wonderful review and the very kind words for Brandon and Rita they are SUPERSTARS!!!! It is important that you are comfortable and feel relaxed, after all you are on vacation! Rita always makes sure that her guest and breakfast run smooth and she is a wealth of information with the area attractions. Brandon is a nice young man who cares about what he does at work everyday he takes his job serious and has great customer service! Please visit us again the next time you are in North Conway, New Hampshire.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I want to start off with the staff is extremely friendly. This is my second time staying at the Inn. The first time was 3 years ago my fiancé and I really enjoyed everything. I booked a suite, the room was clean the decor new it was great. This was why we came back. The 2nd time around I cannot say the same. My expectations were already set at a high standard from our last stay. The decor in the room was dated the comforter looked dirty. I had to leave a note on the bed for housekeeping to not put the spread back on the bed as it made me feel dirty. I booked a Suite just as I had done the first time. The Jacuzzi tub had mold all the way around it. I couldn’t believe it. It was orange and black all along the rubber caulking. My fiancé and I had our 4 year old son with us and he needed to shower and get cleaned. I didn’t want to put him in that tub. So I went down to the desk to see if someone could go up and clean it. This was around 5pm. The answer I got was "I’m sorry there is no one here at this time to clean it for you, but we can move you to another room" there were 3 people standing at the front desk including the general manger. I asked to look at the room and see if it was any better. The room that I was given was even smaller than the room I was in. It smelt funny but the tub was clean. I talked it over with my fiancé and he didn’t want to pack up our son that was already settled in. I went back to the desk and said we will stay where we are. I asked them to make sure that the tub is scrubbed the next morning when housekeeping cleans the room. Much to my dismay I come back after a long day at a Day out with Thomas and the tub is not much better. A little elbow grease and it would have come out. I didn’t even bother saying anything that night. It wasn’t worth it. Upon my departure, the housekeeping manager came out and told me that the orange was a cleaner they use and it stains the tubs. REALLY do you think I am that stupid? I know what mold is and is not. I could not believe they tried to give me an excuse instead of getting it right the first time. I have never heard of a place not having someone on staff to handle a situation like this.. All I wanted was a clean tub it was not much to ask. I didn’t want money back I just wanted a clean room.

The amenities were good. My son loved the indoor pool and the playground. The breakfast was alright it was good enough to tie you over.

All said and done, they gave me a $20 refund when I complained about the tub and a $25 gift certificate to return. I don’t know if I will be returning after this experience. I didn’t want money back I just wanted my room to be the way it should have been. They say they take pride in their cleanliness, if that’s so they better raise their standards.

2 Thank ART2244
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for your review, I remember you checking out and all seemed well. Our Executive Housekeeper showed me the orange cleaner and I can confirm that the orange in the tub was indeed the cleaner. We do strive and train each day how to be better and we hold very high standards for our employees we failed you so I am sorry. Our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast is pretty popular and we make sure there is a variety everyday with muffins, toast, bagels,english muffins,cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs, sausage everyday and alternating other hot items such as omelets, waffles and french toast sticks!
I hope that you do use your gift certificate and your Granite Bucks and give us another try besides the tub cleaner it seems that everything else was good!
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This property had cards asking for TripAdvisor.com comments. I don't write reviews, but when I think of what I paid for this place it really burns me up. Everyone on staff was friendly, let me say that first, but this inn is NOT a value for the price we paid. Our room had a terrible smell, but the counters, sheets, and towels looked clean. I thought it smelled like a litter box. The decor of our room was worn out and tired looking. Bed was below average. Breakfast was average (think Super 8, not the Hampton Inn), but I was really annoyed that there was a tip jar for the breakfast staff who restocked items and cleaned some tables. Nobody waited on us or provided us with personal service at breakfast. I'm not tipping under those circumstances, and don't ask me to either.

We checked in around 5:30 pm and had to eat dinner and meet the moose safari bus at 7. We didn't have time to call the front desk and fool around with changing rooms. When we got back to the hotel close to midnight, there weren't enough parking spaces so we had to park in a handicapped spot. I did mention to the front desk at checkout that the room smelled like cat urine. He told me that I could have called for another room. True, very true. However, hotels shouldn't smell like cat urine whether a guest complains or not. It's that simple.

I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Allusive
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
First let me start by apologizing for the urine smell. When an A/C unit gets plugged with water it does put off that scent, this is not an excuse it is simply a fact. Had we known at arrival with a quick call we could have fixed that immediately without moving you. If you read our reviews we have many satisfied guest and a huge repeat guest following. I truly wish we had a chance, that fix would have taken less than five minutes! If you would like to contact me to discuss this further that would be great. 603-356-6901.

I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly and hope you enjoyed your moose tour.
Bedford, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I'm 38 and I've been coming here since I was about 12. Now I bring my kids with me. This year we brought 3 generations. We love the motel part as it's near the outdoor pool. I think if we came in the winter to ski, we would stay in the hotel part near the indoor pool. We could spend hours in the big room where you check in. It has the most comfortable leather couches and there's so many things to just take in.

2 Thank redsky73
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
How cool is that!! Three generations at the same time we are so excited to have you stay and start a new tradition with your family! Your right our lobby is huge and has big comfy leather couches and big screen TV. Thank you for choosing the Green Granite for your North Conway home away from home! Hope to see you this winter you will love the fireplace.
Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I can see why some of the reviews are mixed as I found out first hand that there are very different parts to the hotel. The room I first received was in the "motel-part" of the Inn where rooms were accessible from the outside. The decor and feel of the room was very dreary and old. The carpet and walls were gray and everything seemed very used and old. While I assumed all rooms looked like this one, my father and I could not stand the smell of smoke (altough a non-smoking room). I called the front desk to see if we could be moved to another room. Linda, was very helpful and friendly, came up to the room, walked us to another room so we could check the smell. The second room did not smell so we took it and thanked her for her help. After doing so, we suddenly realized that we were in a very different room and part of the hotel. This second room was in the "hotel-part" of the Inn meaning the rooms were inside a larger building and accessible through a hallway. Also the rooms were much nicer in decor, much cleaner, newer and we even had a balcony. Now we had not asked to be moved because of the decor of the first room, but having seen both room types, I cannot belive how different they are. Either way, we were happy.

The breakfast was good and consisted of usual continental items, as well as 2 hot rotating items. The staff at the breakfast was working hard to refill all the items as they were going quickly.

It is important to know before coming to North Conway, that the entire town is basically on one highway. This is important to know so one does not picture this hotel in the middle of the woods in the quiet. I did not mind the location as we could even walk to the Supermarket and to dinner, but someone who expects a quieter location may be dissappointed.

Overall, the hotel was a great value but I am still baffled by the difference in room types.

The staff was friendly, helpful and we certainly appreciated being offered another room. I would come back to the hotel if ever in North Conway again. but I would definitly request the second room type.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not in the motel part of the Inn
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelBugNatty
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Green Granite, and thank you for allowing us to fix the problem with your room. It was a pleasure to make your stay more comfortable. Our staff is always ready to help our guests, and we do appreciate your nice comments. Our guest service will always be our number one goal and we will always aim high!!!! Please come back see us the next time you are in North Conway!
Abington, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We usually stay at smaller places but we decided to give Green Granite Inn a shot mainly because of two swimming pools and a walk in distance to the centre of the town. Actually our experience was better than we expected.
We have stayed at two other places in North Conway before but surprisingly we had the best experience with this one. Our room and bathroom were very clean and equipped with everything you need. Environment was a way more quiet than we thought it would be based on the size of the place. Swimming pools and hot tub provide a great rest and relaxation after intensive hiking. Pricing was very affordable. Breakfasts were rather basic but sufficient. The only minus was the breakfast area which is rather raw and crowded at times.
The bottom line is that we got more than we expected.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SzymonL
Linda-GGI, Manager at Green Granite Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Its always nice when we can exceed our guests expectations! Thank you for the nice review and the comments on our breakfast room as that is work in progress. We are so happy you enjoyed our pool and you are right our location is the best!!! You can walk to the tax free outlets from our back yard with out seeing them and many restaurants as well! We hope when you return to North Conway you will always choose the Green Granite Inn.