“Great family Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in North Conway
Oakdale, Connecticut, United States
“Great family Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel is a good place for the family trip. After a day at the park, or just spending a break from the parks, the hotel has different activities going on. From what I could tell, these were only Mon-Fri, but I could be wrong. The flyer they provided me at check in did not have weekend activities listed, and my stay was mon-thur.

At 4 pm they give out Popsicle at the outdoor pool. There is the evening campfire for about an hour where they provide marshmallows. The offer a BBQ dinner (for a fee) some evenings. They offered a horse and carriage rides one evening. There is the indoor pool, outdoor play area (small swing set and slide) that the kids did enjoy. A movie night (which we did not do). There is also a small arcade and a mini golf on the property.
Also being a guest at Fox Ridge allowed you to use some of the amenities at their sister hotel (about 1/4 mile down the road) where there was a bigger pool and play area. (which we did use) Also at the sister location, there is an indoor water park, which is an additional fee, Kahuna Laguna. The water park was fun, a bit over priced, but it was a fun time with the kids.

The breakfast,which is included with your stay was quite good. Eggs, pancakes, french toast sticks, potato/hash browns, bacon or sausage, yogurt, cold cereals, toast and english muffins, and juice. Free (included) is nice, but when it is convenient and good, it makes it that much better.

Every room has a semi private patio with outdoor chairs to sit and enjoy the beauty of the mountain views.

Of all the above that we actually did, I can only say the amenities to be average at best and good at worst. Not that it was bad in anyway, but I dont want to give the impression it is more than it might imply in a short review.

Where this hotel has exceeded expectations is through customer relations/service. From the hotel manager and reception all the way to the employee attending the fire and passing out marshmallows, everyone seem genuinely happy to assist and make sure you had a good experience at the hotel. I even meet an employee, by chance, during a hike at a near-by park, who was so excited to hear I was staying at "her hotel"

The only problem with the hotel is the lack of maintenance and upkeep of many little things (loose door knobs, storm door windows falling out). It did not diminish our experience during our stay, but I would not be giving a full review if I failed to mention it.

The location was idea for our visit. Story Land (15 minutes away), Mt Washington Auto rd (30 min), Scenic Railway (5 min), Clark's Trading Post, (45 min), Echo Lake (10 min) and much more. Many restaurant choices along the strip. There are also several activities from mini golf, shops, play ground, and more along the strip.

The price was not the cheapest on the strip, (and we stayed at one of the "lesser priced" ones previously), but at Fox Ridge we felt it was a good value!

When planning this 3day midweek mini-vaca, I started with a list of hotel choices After narrowing them down to three, I selected this hotel, in part, because of the reviews I read and how most had replies from the hotel. I felt if they cared to reply and thank a reviewer they must really care about their guests, which through experience I believe this to be true even more after my visit.

If/when we go back, this will be our first choice.

1 Thank userChris
FoxRidgeNorthConway, Manager at Fox Ridge Resort, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We are glad that you enjoyed all the amenities that the resort has to offer. Chef Crystal was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet. It sounds like you had some peaceful time on the patio with the great mountain views. Hope you see you return before the snow flies.
Chuck and Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Moncton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

A lot of reviews knock this location, but it isn't warranted in my opinion. This isn't a Trump hotel by any stretch but the Fox Ridge is a great family spot in the heart of North Conway. The rooms were clean, and the grounds were well maintained. The entire staff were very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
FoxRidgeNorthConway, Manager at Fox Ridge Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
"Entire staff was friendly and helpful" Thank you! They love hearing that! So glad to hear that you will be staying with us again. Your right our grounds are beautiful and the views are some of the best in the Mt. Washington Valley. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Manchester, NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

That would be young with toddlers or slightly older. The staff was incredible. Friendly, helpful, pleasant - couldn't be any better. The outdoor pool was nice (and deep enough for diving unlike the chain hotels), perfect location near the center of N. Conway, the grounds and interior spaces were clean...but that was about it for me. For well over $200 a night (we stayed for 3 nights) for a double queen room, I expected more. The rooms are tired and the hotel needs a refresh desperately. Beds were uncomfortable and the sizes seemed more like doubles. TV's were older tubes, shower walls were tiled and old. No card access - you get issued very large keys when you check-in. Family above us had young children banging on the floors from sunrise to almost midnight making sleeping impossible....but there's nothing one can do as the entire facility is, well, young families. They had a free breakfast which was a complete circus (lots of screaming kids); food was OK but basic, minimal buffet-style food. They have "outside dining", which is red picnic tables on the grass. Wi-Fi was OK during the day when no one was around (that's when I got my work done, download any movies, etc.), but bandwidth gets choked up to non-existent at night. No fitness area at all. Long and short, if you want a quiet weekend away, there are plenty other options in the area that would be WAY better. I really hate to knock this place at all because of the people and the fact that it really is a "family" resort/hotel (my 8 and 10 year old's felt it was too young for them) - but Red Jacket Resorts should put some $$ into the property and they should really add "family" resort in there so everyone knows what they're getting themselves into.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so no one is over your head.
1 Thank hockeytraveler1
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your right our staff is incredible! We do have plans for updating over our winter season and look forward to having you return to enjoy the upgrades.
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had never been to North Conway, and we found Fox Ridge resort just by Googling. We lucked out! Our room was so cool with the loft for the kids and the extra space of the kitchenette. This resort is VERY clean, and the staff are all so happy and friendly and helpful. The indoor water park at the sister resort (Mountain View) is soooo clean, and so well lifeguarded. Nothing negative to say!

1 Thank Carrie C
We are the ones who "Lucked out!" Thank you for finding us on the internet and spending time here at the Fox Ridge Resort. What a nice comment about our Happy, Friendly and Helpful staff, they appreciate the Kudo's. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Littleton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have a 6 year old and wanted to be close to StoryLand and Santa's Village. We looked into all the accommodations in the area on the internet and chose Fox Ridge. I booked the room through the Red Jacket central booking and when we arrived it was not the floor I requested through booking. The manager, Charles, at the front desk, checked the notes from central booking and noted that my floor request was not in the notes. He immiediately went to work and put us in another room, and the next day got us into the room with the view I had requested. I cannot speak highly enough about how accommodating he and the housekeeping staff were to make this happen. He gave me his card and let me know to call the Resort directly the next time, and he would make sure our reservations are captured per our request.
I cannot begin to tell you how pleaesd we were with our choice of Fox Ridge: they offer a full hot breakfast buffet every morning.(not the continental breakfasts offered by other hotels/resorts:. eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit salad, muffins, toast, home fries, cereal, juices, coffee/tea/hot chocolate.. included in rate; they have a wonderful indoor and outdoor pool, a small mini-golf course and a shaded playground for the kids and shuffle board on the sprawling lawn. They have something going on every day: campfire with marshmellows and lemonage every night, 3 cookouts pool side during the week( cookouts are extra but well worth the price..$ per adult and $8.00 per child) eat as much as you want).; a horse drawn wagon ride/ complimentary on Saturday nights; ceramics painting for the kids (extra, but not pricey). We stayed in a standard room...all rooms have either a balcony or a deck. there's nothing special about the rooms... they are comfortable and clean and suited our needs. Everyone at the Resort was friendly and helpful, from the front desk folks, to housekeeping, to the staff who worked in the breakfast room. I would recommend this resort to anyone who has kids and to anyone who doesn't. It is a wonderful, friendly, family oriented Resort. We are considering going back again before the school year starts and will absolutely return there again next summer.
Donna from Littleton, MA

Room Tip: every room is the same.. which one you choose is personal preferance: garden view or Mt. View. Gard...
1 Thank Donna G
What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to write it. Your comments about our friendly and helpful staff was so nice of you. We have a great team here and beautiful surroundings to work in. We all hope to see you soon during our foliage season in the White Mountains.
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed just one night with our 1 and 4 year old boys- this place is perfect for them, with an onsite playground, mini golf and pools. big enough rooms to fit 2 double beds, plus the pack n' play with room to move and a balcony for mom and dad while the boys sleep.

1 Thank beth W
FoxRidgeNorthConway, Manager at Fox Ridge Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Fox Ridge is great for kids! Glad that you got to enjoy all that is offered here for activities. The balcony is a perfect place for quite time and mountain viewing. Thank yuo for staying with us.
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

For starters any bad reviews of this resort I can say are due to exceptional chance and bad luck. This resort was beautiful. The staff was all friendly. We didn't encounter anyone who wasn't smiling and helpful from the staff which is very hard to find. I stayed there with my husband and two kids (2 1/2 years old and 5 1/2 months old). I will break it down for you.We stayed there 6 days in July 2013 during peak season. Room 165.

Resort...One of the few that was not smack dab on the main road. You need to drive up a scenic driveway to get to it. Other hotels were right on the main street and even worse their pools were there too. This hotel is was beautifully maintained. nice flowers, clean, etc They had a cute mini golf, a nice game room, a playground for kids, very clean indoor pool etc.

Rooms...average room. Very spacious. nice view from any room. balcony old but again enjoyable view. overall clean. We needed to call reception to clean something in the bathroom for us that was there before we arrived and not only did they send housekeeping in under 5minutes the manager was by their side to make sure we were ok with everything and that it was cleaned. I have NEVER had such a fast response by staff at a hotel EVER When I needed something and we stayed their during peak season while they were very busy. That really impressed me. Oh and rooms did not have musty smell but I'm guessing after all the reviews they figured to air out the rooms because we saw them airing out rooms for almost the whole day after guests had checked out.

Reception...check in took 5 minutes. Check out took 5 minutes. They were very helpful for directions, attractions, safety deposit box, responding to our calls and our requests. Never waited more than a minute at front desk. Friendly. They even explained that our room was chosen to suit our situation. they explained since we had kids they conveniently placed us on the first floor and near the playground. I was very grateful for that.

Manager Chuck and another manager I think it wasn't him only but not sure. Very friendly,thoughtful and did a great job. He seemed to be part of the furniture there cause we always saw him around somewhere. When we had an incident with our oldest child puking in the room he was there with housekeeping and as they cleaned he made sure our son was ok.He even went and brought him a ginger ale to settle his stomach.

The location is wonderful. It is close to so many convenient things. Rite-Aid, walgreens, mcdonalds, dollar tree, dunkins, etc. We didn't have to drive far for anything. We went to the railroad to see Thomas the train and that was close too. Not very far from storyland either maybe 20 minutes with traffic and lights.It was also very close to its sister esort the red jacket. We profited during one rainy day to our 50% discount at their Kahuna Laguna water park being guests of fox ridge. Staff (life guards) at kahuna NOT so friendly or helpful.

Breakfast buffet...was very nice and tasty. They tried to vary it by changing up the bacon to sausage a couple times. They had lots of choices. Coffee, tea, juices, milk, yogurt, fruits, cereals, muffins, bagels, toast, potatoes,eggs, pancakes, French toast type of thing, etc. It all tasted good, it was always full and fresh. They had crayons and special placemats to entertain children. This saved us a lot of money eating a big breakfast.

My only complaint (not much fault of the hotel) the guests above us were so loud. It seemed like we had pro wrestlers practicing above us. they stomped not walked. I guess if it were more soundproofed between the two floors that would have ben great.

Another thing greatly appreciated were all the activities they would have daily. Marshmallow roasting at fire pit and lemonade. Tis allowed us to mingle with other guests. My son loved it.

Overall this was a wonderful experience.I would only stay there again if in new hampshire for the beauty of the resort, the location of the resort, the friendly helpful staff, the breakfast buffet and so much more. Thank you guys truly for making our stay enjoyable and you shall see us again!!!

Maria and Petros!!!!!

Room Tip: Pick the second floor if it is convenient so you don't hear the others above. Let them know your...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank csi-investigator
Wow! What a nice review. Thank you. Our team enjoyed reading all the nice comments. Glad you got to use the Kahuna Laguna indoor Water Park it is a fun place for the family. Hope to see you for the beautiful fall foliage season that's right around the corner.