“Excellent Country Dining”
Review of 1785 Inn - CLOSED

1785 Inn
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at the 1785 Inn is located in a historic building overlooking famous mountain scenery (the 7th most photographed nature scene in the U.S.) A travel guide newsletter recently called it "One of the top 15 views in the world from a hotel or inn." All meals are cooked to order with the freshest possible ingredients (in spring/summer/fall the vegetables & herbs come from their own gardens or local farms). The service is friendly and the wine list is extensive (has received the "Award of Excellence" for 25 consecutive years from the Wine Spectator magazine). The desserts are all made at the Inn (including some that are flambed tableside). The critics have called it "an amazing value" and "the best place to stay or eat in North Conway." A relaxing luonge is also avilable for drinks, some lighter food, or one of their desserts.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've eaten here a number of times, usually when celebrating a special occasion. The food is fantastic and beautifully served. The rack of lamb was superb. The Caesar Salad made table-side is so worth ordering. It's not only delicious (you'll never want the usual restaurant Caesar salad again) it comes with a "show" and the recipe! Last visit we enjoyed the "show" so much we ordered the Banana's Foster, also made table-side, for dessert just to keep our waiter on his toes! It's amazing what fun two "little old ladies" can have when celebrating their birthdays. We felt special and well taken care of from the minute we walked in the door.

2  Thank DianaAshby

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Have eaten here a couple times recently and food just isn't as good as it used to be. Salad with maple dressing was super mayonnaise-y. The sorbet was raspberry and cumin and fennel. A weird combo - and I don't like cumin. Had scallops and sauce was really salty. Half rack of lamb was four tiny lamb chops. Still hungry after that! Vegetables were two asparagus and a tiny amount of chopped vegetables. German Chocolate cake was really heavy. The cake is really fudgy and cold and the frosting is goopy. I know they have to refrigerate the cake, but it had the consistency of an old, not fresh cake. Had the chef salad and lettuce was wilty. Duck was rubbery. Most recent bill for two was $94! Staff nice but not worth it.

3  Thank venividiboggli
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stopped in here one night after the kitchen had closed so we had a drink at the bar. After meeting the bar tender, looking at the menu, touring the dining room, we immediately made a reservation for the next night - being able to choose our own table and even asked the bartender to be our waiter! What a fabulous idea! We had a room that was private to us all night, table next to the fireplace, and constant attention from our private waiter!! The appetizer was grilled scallops, my main dish was RABBIT (which I had never ordered before) and it was cooked in two different styles, my husband had the veal which melted in one's mouth it was so tender, the desserts were so plentiful in variety it was difficult to choose! My husband had the cheesecake and I had a chocolate moose served on a large piece of chocolate shaped like a shell! The after dinner coffee was served theatrically with a show of fired brandy(?) being poured back and forth between glasses to form a sugared rim...the whole experience was FANTASTIC!!!

3  Thank deedonut
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Caesar salad made at your table, beef cooked perfectly, and a shared slice of coffee butter crunch pie. Waitstaff fun and attentive. I'll definitely be back!

3  Thank Kittery_traveller
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was a birthday dinner for my foodie boyfriend and I was not disappointed.

We started with the lobster claw appetizer on a bed of seaweed, it had wonderful flavors. Then we got Caesar salads made table side, the salad was excellent and plentiful although the croutons were bland. We were treated to a intermezzo of raspberry and fennel sorbet which achieved its goal but neither of us care for fennel so we only had a bite or two.

My boyfriend got the bison tenderloin on a bed of something with lentils, it was excellent. I got the half rack of lamb served with a goat cheese purée, very good. The desserts looked excellent but we were far too full.

We would definitely return as there were so many options on the menu that sounded good, we could easily order something different each time.