Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Disappointed
Bandb very Close to road
Trail riding not that scenic and looped back so saw same thing on way back
Only allowed to walk on trail ride
Fireplaces are electric and thought would be wood burning
Bathrooms in our rooms had no bath tub
Rooms weird, couch in bedroom

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Adventure R
rexidnight, Owner at Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
It is unfortunate that this person was disappointed, however she was fully aware of what she was getting- and it was nice! We ask our guests to call to reserve( they generally look at our site online and the room pictures and our stables information. When they call we can talk to them, describe the room, the fact that it was a room with a shower bathroom, and address any questions they have BEFORE booking. This person called up to book. Her suite for 2 people was at the back of the inn and farthest from our designated “scenic road”-a tertiary road, in an agricultural residential zone- not on the main road (Rte. 16 Highway where most lodging is located). We are surrounded by our own property on 3 sides with horses and mtn. views. She asked the innkeeper if there was a wood fireplace and he was told it was gas (it was not electric as she claimed), this newly remodeled room was described to her, she can also see at least 2 pictures of the room on line. There is a couch in this newly remodeled room and it has a flat screen TV. Most people enjoy sitting on a couch and watching TV -it is not unusual and greatly appreciated if there is a couch.
The ride was described to her. It is a one hour loop trail, guided, walk only ride. Perhaps she was an experienced rider. However, it was described to her beforehand on the phone. We are the only people who own our own horses and do year round riding plus we offer sleigh and carriage rides Northern NH. We are an award winning stables and offer a ride through pastureland, woods and panoramic mountain views. We do these rides even in winter with special shoes for the horses! The ride is a loop trail- so she would have seen different scenery going out and coming back. Leaving the barn you go down a hill, through pastureland and you see views of Mt, Cranmore (ski mtn.) and Kearsarge Mountain, Black Cap and the Green Hills ranges; and Rattle Snake Mountain. Then the rider enters the woods go through 11 acres of Maple Sugar forest (some trees are over 300 years old) along the Saco River-one of the 2 major rivers in NH. On the return loop (which is a different route) one can see 9 miles of the Moat Mountain Range, White Horse and Cathedral Ledges (granite ledges famous for mountain climbing). Even past peak fall foliage before snowfall it is beautiful.There was no lack of information on our part and many people enjoy our award-winning ride and our award-winning inn have returned over and over again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My wife and I visit North Conway a couple of times a year to fly fish the Saco river. We've stayed at several different places in the area but have not really found one that we'd stay a second time... until now!
The owners, Rick and Charlene are the real gems of the B&B. From the time we arrived they could not have been more gracious. We arrived late and Rick quickly directed us to restaurants in the area. We explained that one of our intentions was to fish the river at sunrise and he quicky offered to point me along the path to the river in the morning and offered coffee in the kitchen. In the morning I showed up in the kitchen a little before 6 and Rick was there begining to prepare breakfast. I chatted for awhile and then went out to get my gear together. When I came back in for directions Rick had hand drawn a prefect map through the fields to the Saco River. Rick and Charlene are gracious hosts with stories, recommendations and of course a delightful breakfast.
There are many other examples I could give that would demonstrate the genuine warmth of our hosts. But one really does highlight the point. One evening my wife and I were fishing late on the Saco and got back to our car to find a dead battery. We could have called AAA but realized that this would have taken a long time and decided to all Rick and Charlene to see if the had a local suggestion. Rick offered to come down and pick us up to let us deal with it in the morning, which I thought was great. When he arrived he suggested we try simply jump starting the car since he had brought cables, which we did and it started right up but he noticed that the terminals were pretty corroded. I said I'd take care of that problem when we got back home but he insisted that we'd clean them off when we got back to the car. And when we got back he put together a mixture of baking soda and water which cleaned them up immediately.
The B&B is an older farm house that has been in the owners family for generations. Our room was comfortable, although you might want to get one that does not face the road if you have a choice... which you might not if you decide to visit close to the date of arrival. The porch is a great place to sit and watch the world go by in the presence of the charming horses. Breakfasts are home cooked, varied and delicious!
The B&B is on 70 acres along the Saco river, and for all of you fly fishing folks it boarders the lower section of the FFO section of the Saco right up to the Artist Falls Brook which gives you very private access to that section of the river. Rick can give you a histrory of the river, show historical pictures of the erosion caused by human activit and show you some great aerial photos.
I can not recommend the Farm by the River enough!

Room Tip: Something not facing the road would probably be most peaceful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David B
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Full disclosure: my husband also left a review of this place, but since we stayed in the exact same room the one-star "Falsely advertised" review was about, I really wanted to address a few things.

This place is a huge old farmhouse. No, it's not sterile and sparkly, but it's clean, it's comfortable, and we felt completely welcomed and at home (if we had someone at home to cook us breakfast and clean up after us). It has creaky old farmhouse stairs, which I loved, and although we came in late at night and I was afraid of making too much noise, once we got in our room, we realized it's actually quiet in the rooms. Our bed was big (which I see as a good thing), but it made no "horrible creaking sounds", nor did it sink "almost to the floor". It was comfortable and it was piled with blankets and pillows. If I could have stayed in bed all day, I probably would have, but we wanted to spend time outside. Next time we go here, I'd like to go in the winter and spend the day in that big comfortable bed, with the in-room fireplace lit, covered in blankets.

The sink is in the room, which I find convenient (I guess some don't like that), but there is no way anyone could wash their hands from the bed, unless they are Inspector Gadget, Plastic Man, or are doing that thing where the tips of one of their toes on one foot is touching the bed while the rest of their body is stretched out across the room, and they're saying, "look, I'm still on the bed!". The bathroom was big enough for a large Jacuzzi tub, but there was also a small closet in the room. Leave it up to your own imagination how the other reviewer could confuse the two rooms.

This B&B has a large barn out back and offers horseback rides and carriage rides. My husband and I went on a horseback ride, which brought us through the woods and fields around their property. I'd only been on a horse once before, so I was nervous, but the two women (some of the barn staff) guiding the ride were nice and helpful and made me feel at ease. There are also little goats who live on the other side of the barn. My husband and I fell in love with them and those two little guys had us convinced that when we move out of the city, we need little goats. There is a beautiful garden in the back of the house near the barn, set up with chairs, with bird feeders and a really cool stone birdbath nearby, perfect for hanging out with tea or coffee and just watching all the different types of birds stop by.

Now for the breakfast. The first morning we had waffles and eggs (my husband also had bacon), the second day we had pancakes and eggs. A few weeks later, I'm still thinking about how delicious the breakfast was. The eggs were so flavorful, the pancakes were perfect, but the best was the waffles. They were the best I've ever had. Even the butter was delicious, and I normally don't even like butter. Bonus: they serve real maple syrup. The pancakes and waffles didn't need anything on them, but I had to add butter and syrup to half of each just because the butter and syrup were so good. I wish I was better with words, so I could explain just how much I loved this breakfast without just repeating "best" and "delicious". I really loved the homemade breakfast.

The owners of this place were both on site both days we stayed. They were nice, friendly, and welcoming. Their dog Heidi was nice, the common rooms were comfortable, there was tea available all day long, and there were homemade sweet snacks out in the evening (cookies one night, congo bars the next). Overall, this was a great stay. I'm a small business owner, and due to y mwork, we were only able to get away for two nights for our anniversary this year. This place was a perfect choice for us. We've already recommended it to my husband's parents and to some of our friends. We will definitely be back.

2 Thank Kamikaze_Pigeon
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Second trip here and will go back! Its a beautiful property surrounded by gorgeous scenery and only minutes from North Conway village. Its also right on the Saco. The innkeepers are very kind and knowledgeable of the area, the rooms are clean and breakfasts delicious. Highly recommended especially if you like horses!

• Stayed September 2013
rexidnight, Owner at Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind response.
Salem, MA
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 4th anniversary recently and it was so great !! ItS a great old farm house incredible character. The hosts, Rick and Charlene are two of the nicest and accomidating people I have ever dealt with. It really felt like they were welcoming us into their home ! The breakfast was one of the best homemade breakfasts that I have ever had...period! The room was great, clean, charming... Not like some cookie cutter country inn, but with real old farm house charm ! The bed was so comfortable... I miss it! The horseback riding was so much fun... I would recommend this to everyone. The baby goats are just so much fun to play with ! The dog, Heidi... What a great dog! Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better two day getaway !! Beautiful mountain views, beautiful farm and wonderful people... That is what you get when you stay here. All that, for less than most lodging with way more charm and character ! I would urge everyone to stay here ... Unless you're crazy, like awful vacations or hate good people and great hospitality... Other than that, book a room today !!!

1 Thank Michael B
Thank you and we hope to see you again!
Guilford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Absolute DUMP! The bed was the size of the room, you could wash your hands in the sink from the bed. Yes, the sink was in the bedroom!! The bathroom was in the closet, we sat on the bed and it sunk almost to the floor and made a horrible creaking sound. The on premises dog almost bit my husband and I when we entered the bed and breakfast. The barn staff was horribly rude, I have never been treated so badly by a place in my life. I highly recommend never bothering to stay at this place EVER!! They wouldn't give me my money back and I was on my honeymoon. The owners were just as bad as the barn staff! We left and stayed some where else that was 600 bucks down the drain!!

7 Thank Elizabeth K
Easton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We just spent the Labor Day Weekend at Farm by the River and had a great time. Rick and Charlene are excellent hosts and are very knowledgeable of the area. The rooms and very B and B quaint, well maintained and well appointed. The bed was comfortable and having a hot tub was nice, though would be better for a winter stay. The bathrooms are a little on the small side, so only one at a time in the shower!!
The location is great as it is just a couple miles from North Conway downtown where all the shops and food is.
Only one downside, which is being very critical of me, is the breakfast is very small. I usually eat a larger breakfast, esp on the weekends.

This was our second trip there and we will likely spend another weekend here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bostonfamilydoc
rexidnight, Owner at Farm by the River Bed and Breakfast with Stables, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review.