“Wonderful stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Garden Valley, Idaho
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My father and I recently visited New England for the first time and this was the one of the Inns we selected. We were not disappointed; the location is perfect (quiet) and Bill & Paula were very hospitable. They welcomed us upon arrival and gave incoming guests a thorough tour. Each breakfast was fresh and of good quality. The rooms were very clean and the beds were made upon our return each evening. There are ample "common rooms" throughout the Inn with plenty of books, large screen TV, DVDs, and a piano. There is a private hiking area behind the Inn with several sitting areas on the grounds, each with nice chairs, hammock, and fire pits. The only downfall were the stairs that my father had to climb to get to his room. (Something to consider if you are traveling with an elderly person since there are no downstairs rooms). I highly recommend The Buttonwood Inn; I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
BillButtonwood, Owner at Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review and we do hope you return. If you come with your father again, perhaps our lower level Room 10 will be available. It is wheelchair accessible with an entrance to the parking space outside the door. There are hand rails in the bathroom shower and next to the toilet and the shower has a sitting stool as well. There is also a table that opens up for us to serve breakfast in the room. There are two separate beds, a queen, and a loveseat that opens up into a twin bed. This is our largest guest room with a large sitting area, big screen TV, DVD player, fireplace, and double jacuzzi, .

Please say hello to your father and we hope you both are doing well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We recently stayed at the Buttonwood Inn for several nights in October. The Inn and its Innkeepers were everything we were hoping that they would be. It was beautifully decorated, and Bill and Paula were extremely hospitable and welcoming. While our room was not large, it had everything we needed, with lovely views out of all windows (even the bathroom window). There were several common areas that were cozy in feel, and had a wide variety of reading materials and other amenities available, including a roaring fire in the lower level den. The fact that the Inn is not on a main commercial drag, but located off a quiet road in the woods, strongly contributed to its cozy and serene atmosphere. While eating in the breakfast area, you are treated to a lovely view of the rolling front lawn and trees, as well as a wide assortment of bird life. While there was a specific menu offered at breakfast, like most Inns do, the food was delicious, and Bill and Paula very accommodating. Bill was especially helpful in providing recommendations to local restaurants and hiking trails, and other suggestions regarding the area. We would strongly recommend this Inn to anyone traveling in this area of New Hampshire and plan to visit again.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have an en suite bathroom so make sure to ask for a room with a bathroom if that i...
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Overall the Buttonwood Inn is not bad, it was up in the woods and very peaceful. We even had a bear visit whilst we were having breakfast! I was however disappointed with the breakfast. The description on the website led me to expect a choice of everything that is listed, there was in fact no choice at all and we had to take whatever they had chosen to prepare, one day sweet and one day savoury.

1 Thank Steve S
BillButtonwood, Owner at Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
My husband and I are sorry you didn’t enjoy your breakfasts at The Buttonwood Inn during your recent four-day stay. My husband specifically remembers his conversations with you and your wife before, during, and after breakfast and there was no mention from you of preferring something different on any of the four days. If we had known, we would have been happy to prepare something different for you as we have done so for many of our guests in the past. Interestingly, you or your wife wrote in the guest book in your room the following comment on the date of your departure on October 3rd, “…Our room was very comfortable with space for our many bags. Also very quiet with a large comfortable bed. The food too was enjoyable…” Perhaps you were not happy with not being able to choose one of the breakfast entrees listed on our website.

Most B&B’s and inns offer a fixed breakfast menu, savory one day and sweet the next. The overwhelming majority of our guests have been very pleased with our breakfasts and often comments that they rival those of some of their favorite restaurants. My culinary degree and work experience in restaurants has enabled me to maintain that quality edge.

As a professional chef, I create and prepare daily breakfast menu items, from scratch, using all fresh ingredients. For example, for a sweet breakfast, I may start with a freshly cut fruit salad that I peal, slice, and chop using seasonal fruits and prepare a fresh raspberry puree to top it. The sweet entrée may be a Baked French Toast with Wild Maine Blueberries and Caramelized Brown Sugar Topping served with my homemade breakfast sausage patty. On a savory morning, I may bake light and flaky Raisin Scones, Banana Oatmeal Bread with Walnuts, or Blackberry Lemon Crunch Muffins as a starter. The savory entrée may be light, fluffy Scrambled Eggs filled with melted Monterey Jack cheese topped with sweet red peppers and sweet onion sauté. I also make potato cakes from scratch served alongside the eggs.

I enjoy cooking and baking and am constantly changing and adding menu items to my breakfast repertoire. We have had many guests stay with us for a week or longer and we serve them something totally different each day.

Your feedback about feeling you did not have a choice of the savory or sweet entrees listed on our website is useful to us. We appreciate your candor and will clarify the wording on our website to reflect the fact that we offer one of the entrees described on a particular morning.
Washington, Maine
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had an excellent stay at the Buttonwood Inn. A very clean and quiet place in the country. Paula did a great job of making a tasty homemade breakfast each morning. Bill was very helpful with planning our day. I have stayed at 7 different Inns in Mt. Washington Valley over the years and I have to say that the Buttonwood is the best yet. The search is over!

Saugus, MA
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights with Bill & Paula, the hosts at the Buttonwood Inn. The Inn is located in a beautiful quiet location, but only a few minutes from Rt. 16. Bill & Paula are dedicated to making your stay enjoyable. Paula makes the most delicious breakfasts and serves warm cookies in the afternoon. We spoke to others who checked in very late at night and found a plate of cookies waiting in their room - nice touch! You can enjoy the fireplaces at night and porch rockers during the day. Bill is provides great recommendations for things to do and places to dine. There are discounts and menus from some restaurants to look at and Bill will make reservations for you. We enjoyed our stay so much that we have already booked a return visit for next year.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've now stayed at the Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise several times over the last several years. Innkeepers Bill and Paula Petrone are without equal spare no expense to ensure that their guests have a wonderful and memorable stay. Bill knows the area like the back of his hand and ensures that guests have their day’s activities planned out. Paula’s gourmet breakfasts are delicious, creative, and healthy.

The Buttonwood Inn itself is a great combination of old-world charm and new-world functionality. The décor reminds one of a turn of the century inn, while the plumbing and electrical are modern. Internet access via Wi-Fi ensures guests that they won’t be disconnected from the outside world during their visit unless they so choose.

I’ve been staying at the Buttonwood Inn during my visits to New Hampshire since 2008, and I can’t imagine staying anywhere else when visiting. I assure you, your first stay at the Buttonwood Inn will result in future stays!

Room Tip: I've stayed in Rooms 2, 4, and 5. Go for room 1 or 10 with a fireplace!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Buttonwood for our anniversary and it was wonderful! The inn is clean and comfy and surprisingly quiet... not lavish but very charming and cozy! The Innkeepers, Bill and Paula, were just wonderful and asisted us with recommendations for things to do, places to eat, hikes to consider, and called to make our reservations for our anniversary dinner. The breakfast was absolutely OUTSTANDING. What a way to start the day! We were there for three nights and each breakfast was just spectacular. We talked about Paula's homemade sausage patties for days!

This is definitely a place I would stay again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Conway
Cranmore Inn
Cranmore Inn
#1 of 21 in North Conway
Red Elephant Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise? Share your experiences!