“Will forever be a favorite!”

Buttonwood Inn on Mount Surprise
Ranked #3 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the Buttonwood Inn in North Conway, NH this past January. It is a place that we have visited several times in the last four years, from our first vacation together as boyfriend and girlfriend to our most recent as husband and wife, pregnant with our first child. From our first stay to the last we love the tranquil setting the Buttonwood offers. It is very relaxed and quite. The rooms are warm and cozy. The innkeepers make you feel at home and waking up to breakfast is a treat all in itself. We have often visited the inn in the winter months when the snow is breathtaking on the mountains and there is often a fire going in one of the inn's fireplaces, which is enhanced with tea time and afternoon treats. We have visited in the summer months as well and it is still just as beautiful with the flowers in bloom! We plan on always having the Buttonwood as our favorite getaway. There isn't another place I have ever been too that I have felt so relaxed and at peace than at the Buttonwood.

Heather and Mike Kwiecien

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 3, 2008

We had a wonderful stay with our children for a Polar Express Weekend. We had 2 adjoining rooms and our own bathroom. Everything was very clean and well kept. The common rooms were cozy with fireplaces and the comforts of home.

There is a basement level room for all ages with a computer, tv with dvds, board games, a fireplace, bar and refrigerator along with several couches. The furniture there could have been a little more comforable but it was fine. It was a great place for the kids to be able to make some noise without disturbing anyone.

The breakfasts were great and very tasty for the adults but they were a bit small for a hungry eater. They were not kid friendly though and I would suggest cold cereal as an option for the kids. The restaurants suggested by the innkeiper were great and very kid friendly.

It snowed heavily while we were there and we used the inn's sleds to go sledding in the long driveway so had a lot of fun with that.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2008

Wonderful place for a quiet winter stay. The grounds out back were perfect for snowshoeing (plus more intense trails just a few miles down the road). The warm fireplace was wonderful for knitting by the fire.
Breakfast was superb; I recommend the mixture of pomegranate and orange juice to complement Paula's delicious breakfast. We definitely recommend the Buttonwood Inn!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We spent a long weekend celebrating my birthday at the Buttonwood Inn. We had stayed there about 5 years ago and decided to return. We love the old inn feel and the personal touches the Inn provides. It is just far enough off the beaten path to be quiet so you can enjoy nature but close enough to the sking or hiking that is very convenient. You can snow shoe, cross country ski or hike right from the Inn. The room was spacoius, very comfortable. The common rooms are inviting and make you feel like you are staying in a country estate with friends. The breakfasts are all home made and delicious. Paula and Bill are delightful and will assist you as much as you will need. I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Buttonwood! It was so quaint and peaceful with beautifully decorated rooms. The attention to detail was spectacular throughout the Inn, especially the gourmet breakfast offered as well as afternoon tea and sweets. The Innkeepers are devoted to making your stay one to remember!
The Patterson's

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The Buttonwood Inn is a charming farm house tucked away on a hill in North Conway just far enough from the small downtown area. From the moment you walk in the door you feel at home. The entire property was immaculate! I especially enjoyed the gas fireplace in our room. The yeast waffles and fresh juices were the perfect start to our morning. Our stay was the first for my boyfriend at a B&B and because of the Buttonwood I don't think we'll stay in a hotel again. Thank you Bill and Paula!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed February 26, 2008

This is a lovely old inn. I'm not sure what to think of our experience but you can decide from what I write here.

I had checked their website on Friday (we were looking to book for that Saturday) and it showed 3 rooms available. I called as I figured this last minute the website might not be up to date.

When I called, I talked to Bill and I asked if he had any rooms available. He said, he had one. I made the reservation at $150/night.

We arrived on Saturday and found out there were in fact 3 rooms available, as I had seen on their website the day prior. When I inquired what was available, he seemed reluctant to let us know and show us the other rooms. It seemed he was bent on selling us the room that we had "reserved" rather than one of the other rooms, which were actually $20-30 cheaper per night, each with a separate detached bathroom. BUT because we reserved the room that was $150/night, we could stay in one of those other rooms, which we opted for as it was in the more quaint old section of the inn, but still had to pay the price for the $150 room. When we asked for a credit since we had taken the room that was a lower price, he refused as he said we had reserved the $150/night room. Well if he had told us that other rooms were available, we might have opted for one of those initially as we were using the inn as meeting point to catch up with my sister the next day, not as a honeymoon or getaway.

So my question is if he didn't tell us other rooms were available when we called, and then when we took one of the lower priced rooms when we were there, wouldn't you have thought he would give us a credit for the room difference? I think that is good business practice, to be honest with your guests.
There were also a couple of other incidents that, on this winter night, had me wondering. One being that they offered us cake and then took it away as we were unloading our bags from the car, only after we both had just said, "Oh, we'll have to have some with tea by the fire!" So something is fishy there. This stay had me questioning whether I want to deal with BnB owners quirks anymore and that perhaps we'll just skip them all together.

We've stayed at probably over 100+ inns in our time and I think I can spot something off kilter when I experience it.

Otherwise the inn is beautiful, clean and charming. Food is great and we enjoyed our day out, just had a bad feeling from the night before.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple