“Wonderful family restaurant (and not just Irish food!)”

May Kelly's Cottage Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #1 of 93 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Late one evening, after returning to town from a trip to the top of Mt. Washington, we were hungrily looking for a place to eat dinner. We had perused Tripadvisor for the best-rated restaurants, but had ruled out May Kelly's because we equated "Irish food" with just the traditional pub standbys, and have never been huge fans. Well, getting hungrier and finding long waits at some of the other local popular "family restaurants," we decided to give May's a try. Boy, were we glad we did!

May's has a very extensive menu with a ton of options--not just Irish pub food. While there are certainly several Irish choices, I think the menu is really more about American comfort food. I had a classic Thanksgiving-style Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce--the works! It was just terrific. My wife had the meatloaf, which is made using May's mother-in-law's (I hope I have that right) recipe (plus bacon!), and was equally wonderful! Our 6-year old had pasta and couldn't have been happier. All of the food arrived piping hot, like it should, and the care and attention to detail were evident in our entire dining experience.

The owner, Marie (who is known as "May") was busy overseeing every aspect of the restaurant's operation, and couldn't have been nicer or more of a pleasure to talk with.

In sum, if you are at all inclined to "write off" May Kelly's because you're not thrilled with the prospect of Irish food, do yourself a huge favor and give them a try. Trust me, you will not be sorry you did!

Delicious. Fairly priced. Great for families. Extremely interesting decor (like a museum). Just an all around terrific family vacation dining experience!

1  Thank DanielfromNorwalk
There are newer reviews for May Kelly's Cottage Restaurant and Pub

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Ate in pub instead of waiting for table. Excellent bar staff and service. Great atmoshere. Fun place

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I visit North Conway frequently (winters and summers mainly) and every time I eat here it's great. Good for couples or families. I highly recommend the corned beef, Gaelic chicken and meatloaf. If you eat any of those meals and are not blown away then maybe pub food is not up your alley. The prices are reasonable and service has always been great as well.

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

While in town asked for a good lunch spot and was sent here. Best food of the trip, hands down. We had the shepherd pie, chicken pot pie, curry chicken, wings and BLT. Everything was good, bread was deadly!! Ate two baskets worth. Well worth stopping by for food.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

This was our second year in a row we visited the White Moutain's, and May Kelly's was again the restaurant of choice for my wife and I. We were not disappointed. I had an amazing meal...Shepard's Pie, and my wife had the sampler platter. All I can say is Wow. Well done again. This will quickly become a tradition for our family!