“5 stars is too little”

May Kelly's Cottage Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #1 of 93 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
New Jersey
“5 stars is too little”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We ate at May Kelly's while visiting North Conway. I could have lived there! First off, the décor is so neat. Our table had a loveseat to sit on. The server was very helpful in making our choices. A must are the potato cakes. Heaven, that's all I can say. And then it's listed as an appetizer "A taste of Ireland", it's a sampler of the Shepherds Pie, Beef Stew and Chicken Pot Pie, but we had it as an entrée. It was more then enough as an entrée. In fact my husband ordered a steak, we opted to bring 1/2 of that home and he shared the sampler with me. We definitely will be going back there the next time we go to North Conway.

1 Thank merlemom

McLean, Virginia
“Favorite restaurant”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Authentic Irish pub restaurant. Great food and a fun atmosphere. We went on Sunday when they have a Suisein, which is Irish musical entertainment. There were 6 musicians in the pub playing Irish songs, but you could hear the music throughout the restaurant. The place seems to attract a fun and interesting crowd, though it did get quite crowded. They have lunch and dinner specials. I had the scallops and they were quite good and not expensive. Restaurant looks plain from the outside but it seems like a different world the moment you walk in. A fun place for a meal in North Conway.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Donna S
“Still my North Conway favorite”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Always good here. I had the pulled pork quesadilla, which was really good. It had baked beans in it, which was a nice addition. My wife had the baked haddock and liked it, but said it was a bit dry. The children's grilled cheese was an adult portion. Love the atmosphere here with children's voices and lots of laughter. Very authentic. Lots of cool stuff to look at. It was slow getting the meal tonight, but it was very busy. We'll definitely be back next year again.

“Let down”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I was so pumped to eat here. Read all the previous reviews, and being of Irish descent and sick of being on the road eating regular restaurant food, we were primed. First reaction walking in was the place was cool. Neat decor and lots to see. My 5 year olds first remarks were "it smells". Which I then realized it did. So we sat on the patio which had an amazing view. May herself sat us which was fun. Nice lady. We started with the potato cakes which were great! Nice flavor combo with the blue cheese and horseradish. I read a lot about the meatloaf so I ordered that, and my wife ordered the fish and chips. The meatloaf came and right away I could tell it was dry, not even enough gravy to cover it, or potatoes. I ate about half, and May came by and asked if I wanted more gravy, which I jumped all over. I ate most of it cause I'm not a picky eater, and I was starving, but I wasn't blown away, my mom makes better meatloaf. My wife wasn't impressed with the fish and chips. The quantity was impressive, even for a big guy like me. But no flavor to it. The service was ok. We got our appetizer with no cutlery or plates. Had to wait a lot. But that's okay we don't mind that. We were expecting a lot more from the food then what we got. Not to say it was bad. Just a big let down.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Liam C
Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Try!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We decided to go to May's for lunch after reading the fantastic reviews and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere is great, lots of antiques and interesting things to look at. We had the potato cakes for an appetizer which was heavenly, and we both had the pastrami melt for our meals. The fries were delicious but honestly we didn't eat too many of them because we were trying to finish the fantastic sandwiches. They were hands-down the best we had ever had. The service was fantastic and friendly (thanks Belinda!) and the only regret we had was finding this gem on the last day of our trip. We would have happily eaten here every day of our vacation!