Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“newenland1”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

spectacular views from hotel, lovely heated outdoor pool, rooms a little dated but clean. Expect the hotel to have you booked for a different date when you come to check-in, we were booked for 2 nights, only the hotel had us down to arrive on our check-out date, whilst we checked in another guest was told they were down for a different date as did another guest when we checked out except their date was for a month later! don't think all guests had dates wrong so maybe worth checking with the hotel before arrival to save any problems, we were lucky as they were not full.

Room Tip: request a room at front on hotel for spectacular views
2 Thank 660newengland1
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for a fall visit during Fryeburg Fair week! We are happy you noted the clean rooms, great staff and views! We are blessed to be perched atop a pristine hill with rolling acres to the mountain's edges!

When you noted reservation accuracy I am not sure which source of reservation you used but when we find an intermediary might have a wrong date we do all to accommodate those at our gates! Let me know more and I will personally contact your reservation source whether it be online or travel agent - gladly eliminating any confusion!

Glad you got in and enjoyed your vacation - we love standing out with birthday and special occassions which are confirmable right to the top!
Slambert@redjacketmountainview.com

See you in the winter ( we hope!)

Steve Lambert & spectacular Guest Service team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 4, 2012

(To whoever reads this review: If you find my review helpful, please click the "Was this review helpful?" button at the bottom. This will help encourage me to write more reviews! Thanks in advance!)

My wife, 2-year-old, and I (my wife and I are in our 30s) stayed at the Red Jacket Mountain View Resort near the end of this summer....and we had a blast! To put our review into perspective (and, in my opinion, to help you understand our background), we've been fortunate enough to do a lot of traveling, and we've stayed in a good number of Bed and Breakfasts, Economy Hotels, and a few Luxury Hotels. So, we've seen everything from the "dirty" to the "spotless"....and from the "simple" to the "fancy".

When we checked into the Red Jacket at around 10pm, the hotel looked beautiful from the outside...it's exterior decor...and position up on a hill...make it look very fancy and luxurious. After checking in, we headed to our room (King Bed, Mountain View, no balcony), and as we walked down the hall, I noticed that the edges of the carpeting (near the walls) looked like they had gone quite a while without vacuuming. Now, while I agree with some other reviewers that the carpet, etc., is ready (and in need) for replacement (just to help the interior decor match the exterior), I know that this is not usually a top hotel priority (it's expensive, etc.), so I'm not going to pick on that. However, the hallway carpets (most notably the hallway across from Champney's Restaurant entrance...through the door and down the step) should be given more attention (vacuuming!) to remove the dirt/sand from the edges/corners of the wall! Now, I am sure this sounds a little snobby, but, please keep in mind that we were developing our "first" impression of the hotel, and at this point, I was already questioning the cleanliness.

Anyway, off to our room. Our room was actually very large...larger than most other "standard" hotel rooms, so there was plenty of space. The room itself was very clean, which was a relief after seeing the hallway carpet. (As a side note, the hallway carpet was the ONLY part of the hotel that wasn't clean.) It was VERY apparent that our room had been recently vacuumed as it smelled like, well....if you have an old vacuum (with a bag), and keep it in an enclosed closet for a while....and then open the closet weeks later....THAT smell. Ugh. We all noticed the strong vacuum bag smell, and it lasted well into the morning. Fortunately, the smell faded over our stay, so we just dealt with it the first day. As a note to management: I highly recommend replacing the vacuum bags....or just going with bagless vacuums....because the smell really was strong.

Off to sleep.

Morning: So, after getting a good night sleep, we were able to start enjoying the hotel. My wife tells her friends that I like to plan our vacations around "food", so I was very curious to try out the breakfast buffet that has been mentioned numerous times on TripAdvisor. Now, while I'm not all that picky about food, I will tell you this: the breakfast buffet was OUTSTANDING! There was fresh fruit, eggs, omelets, bacon, sausage, french toast sticks, etc., etc., but, in my opinion, those are to be expected at a breakfast buffet. What I DIDN'T expect (this is where the kid in me comes out)...and what really won me over....was the fact that they put M+Ms in the pancakes....and there was a mini-waffle station that had numerous toppings....from strawberries and FRESH whip cream....to butterscotch chips and a large bowl full of sprinkles! NOW WE ARE TALKING! It was as if the hotel called me and asked me to list everything that would be part of a "perfect" breakfast. ALL of the food was delicious, warm (if appropriate!), and fresh, and ALL staff members (from the omelet guy to the waitstaff) were terrific. The room was also very large, and so there was a lot of seating. Great job all around!!

As for the rest of the hotel:

We used Kahuna Laguna twice and had a great time! The waterpark is very clean and safe, and there is something for kids (and adults) of all ages. My 2-year-old loved the kiddie water slides. The one and only "complaint" (if you will) about the waterpark (which I didn't even notice until my 2-year-old started complaining) is that, due to the sound of water pouring off the different waterfall-like sections of the kiddie play area (and hitting the ground), the waterpark is very loud. I play drums, so I don't have the best (!) hearing, but I definitely noticed, upon exiting the waterpark, that my ears felt a little like they do after listening to live music for a while. So, I could definitely understand where my child was coming from...

In addition to the waterpark, we played in the arcade (no complaints there!), swam in the outdoor pool (clean and heated!), rode the complimentary horse-drawn carriage (twice...lots of fun!), and roasted marshmallows outside at the fire pit (offered by the hotel). From morning to late at night, there is always some sort of complimentary "kids'" event offered by the hotel, so there's always something to do! I also used the complimentary Wi-Fi, however, the signal wasn't very strong in our room (it worked fine when I went down to the lobby).

Overall, we had a great time at the hotel! During our stay, we visited Storyland and Santa's Village (approx. 1 hr. north, but we actually enjoyed it more than Storyland), and had fun at both places.

So there's my review of the Red Jacket!...

One more thing to note (management, please read!): While every employee of the hotel was great, one employee, "SMC" (those are her initials....I don't want to mention names on here), at the front desk, went out of her way to cheer up my 2-year-old after my child unfortunately got sick in the middle of the night. Her actions were unexpected and very much appreciated. She is an extremely important member of your staff, and she showed how much she cares for your guests. Thanks SMC!!

16 Thank drumline13
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for the mention of one of our stars who we couldn't agree with more, a super caring young lady! Thank you also for the opportunity for Ms. Judy to read your details and suggestions, we love to converse and learn what we can constantly tweak for the better, and we are!

Have a great Fall and holiday period and we remain poised for your next visit up!

Steve Lambert and Ms. Judy the Queen of Housekeeping Clean!
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Another great stay. Again the breakfast buffet was awesome. Omelets, eggs Benedict, scrambled, sausage, bacon and so much more. Thank you to Steve Lambert for a memorable stay. Thank you to the front desk staff, you are the best. Palmers restaraunt was very very good. A great family resort. We will be back soon.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Rakeybaby
Wow, how nice to have a great report back on our buffet and the delicious food we serve daily! Yes your compliments made it to the ears of everyone which fuels us resort day in and day out.

Hope to see you soon!

Steve Lambert & Blushing Team
Providence
Reviewed October 3, 2012

A really great family destination for a long weekend or fall trip. We just got back and had a wonderful time. The rooms are clean and nice for the kids, our mountain view room on the 2nd floor was great. And, the Splash and Save package was a great deal and included a full breakfast and the indoor water park - which is just a fantastic place for the kids to get some energy out. The GM of the property could not have been nicer and gave my two little boys bottles of water and chips on our way out to occupy them on the drive back to Rhode Island. Really friendly front desk staff.

Room Tip: Any room above the first floor is great...the lobby is on the 2nd floor, so first floor rooms seem b...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
How nice to read your follow up! Thank you and because your boys are so darn cute, the entire staff is happy to offer snacks for the road by the way!

Thank you for the Splash and Save value rating and the clean room stars - We work hard at both.

Come visit from Rhode Island again soon - even if it's a holiday surprise and I promise to have welcome back Goodies for the kids too!

Steve Lambert & Team too
near Boston
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Reported a problem and they fixed it immediately. The central location is convenient to everything in No. Conway Village. It is set back from the road so it is quiet. The water park is a great asset. A great travel experience.

Room Tip: Town houses gave us privacy and all the amenities of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you a thousand times over for a nice review complimenting our fixing problems and for the town home compliments! We are happy your family had fond memories during your visit and promise not to change what we do great which includes our welcoming and providing a great vacation!

Steve Lambert & Outstanding Team
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here on a trip to Storyland. Very convenient location. Rooms were quite spacious (we opted for a queen bed with a pull out sofa, no balcony). It was a huge room! The hotel could use a little updating, but overall- very nice. Really enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant. The indoor water park is a huge hit with the kids. Very loud at the park, but that is to be expected. Enjoyed this stay very much.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a bigger room, select one without a balcony
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
SteveLambert, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Story Land fans: We never tire of sharing what was 'best' about vacations and Story Land is right up there! Thank you for the compliments on our accommodations and the details your family enjoyed. Time is too precious to not have fun when you get together as a family, and our staff knows that. Humbly we thank you for the great review and remain poised to welcome you back soon!

Steve Lambert & All Star Resort Team
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

I was at Red Jacket for a few days of hiking in the White Mountains. The room was a bit aged but clean and had a stunning view of the mountains. Breakfast buffet was not included in the room rate, but absolutely amazing! Great choice, fantastic fresh fruit and everything.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank NorhternStar
Well thank you for a chance to read your opinion! We are fortunate to be across from the most beautiful mountain range that can be found and your compliments of the views are nice to read! We are also proud of that breakfast buffet, aka - Country Brunch! That our kitchen provides day in and day out !

Thank you again and we hope to see you when you want to visit the Valley again!

Steve Lambert and Amazing Resort Team