“If I was a kid, I'd LOVE this place”

Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Boston, MA
“If I was a kid, I'd LOVE this place”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was booked here on a corporate rate for business travel. After they confirmed I was traveling alone, the front desk staff upgraded me to a jacuzzi room.

This place has Class A service. I overheard one front desk staff say to the other "I'll check this family out. I remember them. They're the Jones' from XYZ." I heard another staff person say to a colleague, "Did you see the event list for today? We're doing s'mores tonight!" with genuine enthusiasm. Common areas were pristine. The outdoor pool got a lot of traffic, but each morning, I saw people out there, testing the water and cleaning it. Twice, I de-magnetized my room key, (yes, I'm stupid!), and both times, a staff person appeared in the hallway to help me before I could even notify the front desk. Both times, they offered to run get me a re-programmed key. The time I took the person up on the offer, he brought back my new key in a quick minute and even refused a tip.

Honestly, if for some reason I needed to run a resort, I would try to learn how from these people. The desk manager checked me out, and he was also very clearly good at what he does.

My room was very clean, plenty of towels, the view was spectacular, and I appreciated the upgrade. The in-room mini fridge was also a nice touch, and I noticed that room service rates were family- friendly, although I did not order food. The decor was a little weird though, a kind of combo Dynesty meets Love Nest with 1980's sconces and leopard prints and three different colors of carpet. Two things I did not like: no triple sheeting and the coverlet was of questionable freshness, and despite the fact that there were no fewer than 11 light fixtures, the wattage was so low that I could not get any brighter than dusky.

This would be a great, great, GREAT place for a family getaway because they really seem to care about their guests and they have terrific kid activities. Conway is beautiful. I'd like to return someday, not for work, and really explore it. Even though I'm not the target audience for this place, I would consider staying here again because it was so well run.... And I don't mind the sound of excited little feet pattering in the hallways.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WhyNotWander
, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
We love your review and appreciate the well rounded compliments to every effort we have from great hospitality and clean rooms with ample activities! We appreciated reading the details of YES IS THE ANSWER staff attending to needs and the results of the unseen stars in housekeeping! Your compliments and offering feedback is appreciated.

We hope you have a stellar July at home and should you want a recharge of fun in August, look us up and contact me personally!

Steve Lambert & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed two nights with the breakfast and Kahuna Lagoona package. There were two adults and 1 14 year old. The hotel has outstanding staff, everyone was very friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for everything we wanted to do in the White Mountain area. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, very good - the best we had on our vacation. You enjoy a beautiful view of the mountains while eating. The water park area was large and well maintained as was the outdoor pool area. The staff had lots of activities planned and I can imagine the little ones just having a blast here. The only cons I must mention, especially considering the nightly rate, are the common areas and hallways are very outdated and not in the best shape. I'm certain the hotel put a whole lot of money into the water park and at some point the common areas will follow, so don't let this dissuade you. The room was spotless but again could use some updating.

CT
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was a great hotel for a family. We have two young children and were very pleased with all the activities that the kids could do. Each day the hotel staff posted an agenda of events which gave us an idea of what we would like to participate in. The staff went the extra mile to make us feel welcome and accomodate any need we had. Thanks for some wonderful family vacation memories!!

1 Thank Helen B
, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Wow, what a great Vacation recap! We do go the extra mile for guests because we know how important family time is in today's world - Thank you for the kudos and recognition, we thrive on seeing those smiles arrive on our mountain and Thank You's for the ride home...

The activities are constantly being groomed and shared with guests, we post it online and also daily on our white board. We love high impact and low impact options for guests to do together - share your ideas with me when you stay and we will stay the best Family Resort one would want!

Steve Lambert & Awesome Staff
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I happened across a listing for the Red Jacket right before leaving on a trip to New England. We booked our room (with the waterpark tickets) the night before we stayed. We loved the drive through the mountains to North Conway and the resort is just beautiful. Our room had a balcony which faced the front of the building and so we had a great view of the mountains. The room was clean and decent, but I have to say that the best part was the customer service. EVERY person that we met said, "Hello" and smiled and every time we passed the desk, the person working there would greet us in some way. We stayed there during the graduation celebration time (which I had never heard of) and literally graduating seniors were bused in to the waterpark that night. I thought, "Oh, no, this is going to ruin it." But, it didn't. The staff in the waterpark were great about keeping the young adults in the appropriate areas of Kahuna Laguna and the lines moved fast enough on the waterslides that my 4 and 7 year olds didn't seem to notice! We liked this place so much, that we decided to spend a second day (hotel only this time, no waterpark) so that we could explore the area more. One thing that we were unsure about I wanted to mention: if you book both the hotel and waterpark, you get to go to the waterpark after check-in and until close that night and then can come in again the next morning from 8 until 10 (when they close it an hour for maintenance). This made me feel like we were getting our money's worth for the park. Also, wanted to mention that they had a meal deal for a pizza, picture of soda, and cookies for $19.99 and it was actually good pizza!

Room Tip: If you can get a mountain-view room (the front of the building) that would be the best!
2 Thank AParentGetaway
Thank you for a great review about all aspects of your vacation! We are proud of our ability to have a groups and families stay and not have it impact them! We have romantic wedding packages and other programs that couples love as much as little tykes love us...

We appreciate the nice feedback about the Kahuna Laguna experience and the ever popular Pizza Packages that are the talk of the Valley! We taste test our pizzas as many times as we can :)!

The views are amazing for all seasons and we will welcome your family with open arms to tour and see each side of the resort and beautiful Valley we live and work in!

Thank you again: Have a great summer!
Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My family and I visited the Red Jacket Resort recently and were so pleased with our stay that we plan to return next year. Every aspect of our stay exceeded expectations. The rooms were clean, roomy, and (true to its name) had a beautiful view of the mountain. Literally every staff member we encountered were friendly and eager to assist us. The pool and water park were clean, functional and so much fun. There were plenty of activities (I really liked the campfire on Saturday night). The location is perfect - close to town and Story Land. Finally, the food was exceptional. We expected mediocre hotel food and resigned ourselves to having burgers (the price to pay for convenience after a long drive). What we encountered instead was a Saturday night $23 prime rib buffet. Everyone in our party got the buffet and raved about it. The prime rib itself was as good as a high end steakhouse. The accompanying foods were just as good. Special kudos to the mashed potatoes, bread pudding, and crab florentine soup (one of my toddlers exclaimed, "Daddy, I love this soup"). I can't imagine staying anywhere else next time we are in town.

2 Thank Matt J
, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Thank you for a nice recap of your family visit: especially mentioning your toddler's approval of our menus and food! We love our kitchen staff and our guest's dietary needs are paramount to all of us. Thanks too for complimenting our team who all said hello each and everytime you encountered us. We love our great guests and have great staff who enjoy their roles in the cast!

Our Summer menu and activities are in full swing and you're bound to see something new on another trip, look me up when I can help reserve that and Thank You again for writing!

Steve Lambert, Kitchen Stars and Resort team
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Recenlty spent 3 nights in mid-June. One of the best parts for our 5 and 7 year old was the hotel room with the stairs to the kid's own room up in the loft. The kids loved it!!

The water park was also a hit for the kids. The indoor water park is smaller compared to other ones I have been to before, but is the perfect size for my kids at this age. Older kids (teenager) might get bored of it quickly. Surprised to see how the water was not crowded at all during the week. No waiting in line for the slides.

Tried the breakfast buffet one morning. It was very good, but a little too pricey.

Overall a great experience and I would recommend.

*On a side note, one thing that did surprise me was the location of the hotel. Based on the hotel picture on their website, I thought the resort was located in the mountains with nothing around it. It was not a big deal, but just surprised to find the hotel right off the main road through town in North Conway.

3 Thank PiscoMatt
, General Manager at Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for bringing your family and recommending a loft room: the suite feeling it provides allows for everyone to have their own space! Our location is perfect to walk to our quaint downtown or to simply wander the acres and attempt our self guided Tree Scavenger hunt: not to mention the wacky olympics and other fun!

We do have kids menus and menu choices with our all you can eat buffet - be sure to ask about packages which may have convenient included breakfast or other amenities when you come back next. We are proud of your review based on the multitude of hotels you've rated, we are in some great company!

Thank you again and tell you kids it wont be long until you come back to visit!

Steve Lambert & Team
Boston
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Two day business trip to Conway had me staying in the Mountain View with a room that overlooked the mountains. The room was in great shape and the service was excellent. Check-in/Check-out was very fast and organized and more than once I was offered free cookies by the front desk staff as I walked through the lobby to get to my room (the cookies were very good). Ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and I really have to recommend the breakfast buffet which had great food for a low price in a room overlooking the valley. I came here in the summer and I can imagine this location is incredible during ski season.

My only concern was the fitness room (which I always try to use at hotels, but is rarely good or updated). The equipment was fairly old and one of the machines was in need of repair or replacing. I noted this to the hotel staff which made sure they took down my concern and sent it to the hotel manager. Often times a hotel will hear a complaint and give lip service, but it seemed that the staff understood this required action and made sure I was satisfied. Then they offered me a warm cookie which did not help the workout, but did have me leaving with a smile. :)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with odd numbers (face the mountains) and don't worry about which floor because th...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
We appreciated your nice review and commendation on our menus and dining room vistas! Our location is awesome you are right.

I am sorry for some equipment challenges and since we threw in the towel on that nautilus work out we feel guilty to have assuaged you to try Kelly the Baker's warm cookies instead...we will keep that between us. Nevertheless, the fitness machines are up and running
and will be here for your next workout!

Thank you again for a nice review, we find feedback to be breakfast of champions!

Steve Lambert, Kelly the Baker and our fitness gurus!