“If you have kids, get a loft room”

Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Recenlty spent 3 nights in mid-June. One of the best parts for our 5 and 7 year old was the hotel room with the stairs to the kid's own room up in the loft. The kids loved it!!

The water park was also a hit for the kids. The indoor water park is smaller compared to other ones I have been to before, but is the perfect size for my kids at this age. Older kids (teenager) might get bored of it quickly. Surprised to see how the water was not crowded at all during the week. No waiting in line for the slides.

Tried the breakfast buffet one morning. It was very good, but a little too pricey.

Overall a great experience and I would recommend.

*On a side note, one thing that did surprise me was the location of the hotel. Based on the hotel picture on their website, I thought the resort was located in the mountains with nothing around it. It was not a big deal, but just surprised to find the hotel right off the main road through town in North Conway.

3  Thank PiscoMatt
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for bringing your family and recommending a loft room: the suite feeling it provides allows for everyone to have their own space! Our location is perfect to walk to our quaint downtown or to simply wander the acres and attempt our self guided Tree Scavenger hunt: not to mention the wacky olympics and other fun!

We do have kids menus and menu choices with our all you can eat buffet - be sure to ask about packages which may have convenient included breakfast or other amenities when you come back next. We are proud of your review based on the multitude of hotels you've rated, we are in some great company!

Thank you again and tell you kids it wont be long until you come back to visit!

Steve Lambert & Team

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Two day business trip to Conway had me staying in the Mountain View with a room that overlooked the mountains. The room was in great shape and the service was excellent. Check-in/Check-out was very fast and organized and more than once I was offered free cookies by the front desk staff as I walked through the lobby to get to my room (the cookies were very good). Ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and I really have to recommend the breakfast buffet which had great food for a low price in a room overlooking the valley. I came here in the summer and I can imagine this location is incredible during ski season.

My only concern was the fitness room (which I always try to use at hotels, but is rarely good or updated). The equipment was fairly old and one of the machines was in need of repair or replacing. I noted this to the hotel staff which made sure they took down my concern and sent it to the hotel manager. Often times a hotel will hear a complaint and give lip service, but it seemed that the staff understood this required action and made sure I was satisfied. Then they offered me a warm cookie which did not help the workout, but did have me leaving with a smile. :)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with odd numbers (face the mountains) and don't worry about which floor because th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

We appreciated your nice review and commendation on our menus and dining room vistas! Our location is awesome you are right.

I am sorry for some equipment challenges and since we threw in the towel on that nautilus work out we feel guilty to have assuaged you to try Kelly the Baker's warm cookies instead...we will keep that between us. Nevertheless, the fitness machines are up and running
and will be here for your next workout!

Thank you again for a nice review, we find feedback to be breakfast of champions!

Steve Lambert, Kelly the Baker and our fitness gurus!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at the Red Jacket the week after school closed for the summer with the storyland, kahuna, breakfast package. The hotel was busy but the staff could not have been nicer. We were upgraded to a bigger room no problem. Stephanie helped iron out a wrinkle with our Kahuna package. Kate at the Tiki bar kept everyone happy with snacks and drinks! She kept a smile going in the 95 degree heat! We have stayed here before and loved it, but the hotel and kahuna laguna have had some nice updates and improvements! Very family friendly but still elegant and charming. "Taste of the Valley" dinner buffet was delish and great value. Summer Solstice sunset on the terrace-priceless!

Room Tip: Loft rooms good for kids.
1  Thank claire b
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Wow: we love seeing our stars mentioned personally in a review! Thank you for noting how our star from Ireland stayed cool calm and collected during the heatwave...She and her colleagues specialize in making something right that starts as a challenge! Your gracious review goes along way in having us smile more!

Our kitchen team appreciates the accolades as well, we hope to see you back to try our new menus in a short while. Kate our bartender poolside keeps it cool and knows how to make a nice smoothy adult and kiddy-style.

Again, thanks for spending that hot summer break with us, we are glad you came to the mountains to enjoy some Mount Washington Valley hospitality amongst us.

Steve Lambert & Stephanie & Kate Stars

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just got back from a mid-week, 2-night stay @ the Red Jacket Mountain View. The wife, 2 kids (ages 3 and 4) and I were in a mountain view room, 1st floor, north wing. We booked the Storyland and Kahuna Laguna package with breakfast included. Bottom line, we will be going back. WARNING, I am long winded. Now for the details....

The package we booked allowed us access to the water park for the 3 days that we were there, as well as entrance into Storyland for a day. We went to storyland the 1st day @ 3ish and you are allowed to go back the next day with your photo id and the same tickets (they print your name on them) With this package, you are allowed to pre-check in @ noon on your arrival day and go into the water park or chill by the outdoor pool. They have family changing rooms as well as mens and womens locker rooms. Just remember to pack a day bag with your bathing suits, bubbles (life jackets and towels are provided), or whatever else the kids need. You'll get a locker key from the person @ the Kahuna front desk. These are free. There are 2 sizes for the lockers, so request a tall one if you have a lot of stuff to store. The changing rooms/locker areas were very clean.

Now that you’re in your suits, enjoy the water park. The 1st day that we were there, it was like a ghost town. We had the whole place to ourselves. Unfortunately, there are only a few lounge chairs in here. They were all, umm, spoken for with towels on them, despite nobody being around. This seemed to be common practice while we were there. There are plenty of regular/upright chairs around the perimeter to establish your base camp though, so no big deal.
The water park is basically made up of 5 areas:

1. There is a toddler area in the back left hand corner with some teeny weenie water slides for the smallest of small kids. When they slide to the bottom they land on a pillow/air filled landing spot in the water. The bigger kids seemed to clear the landing pillow and we saw a couple of kids crying after a rough landing. I went down it and just caught the far end of the pillow. Bigger kids and adults get too much speed to land on the pillow, but it was great for the smaller kids. There was a swing type of carousel in this area, where you could put the small kids or even infants into the swing and spin them around over the water. I didn’t see anyone using it and I couldn’t talk my 3 year old into trying it, because she’s “a big girl now”.

2. There is the wave pool area with the attached basketball hoops area off to the side of it. The wave pool does not run continuously, which is a good thing. This gives the smaller kids a chance to swim around in it. A horn sounds when the waves will begin, giving those who want to get a few seconds to or so to leave. Moving a bit deeper into the wave pool, the texture of the pool floor changes; it gets a bit rougher – perhaps for better traction. This tore up one of the kids feet when she was getting knocked around by the waves. We bought them both some of those aqua sox @ Olympia sports downtown – I would recommend that for kids under 5 to prevent boo-boos.

3. The “not quite a big kid yet area” is off the right, just past the snack bar area. This was awesome for our girls. It has some cargo netting to climb, stairs, a variety of water sprays that you can control and 3 slides. 2 of them are side by each and are simple and straight. you splash down into a small water landing at the bottom. The other is a tube type that has one turn and a similar type of splash down landing. The kids loved this area and we did too. The little kids need to be careful of the water streams draining from this area back to the wave pool. It’s only about ankle deep, but I saw a couple of kids lose their footing there.

4. The hot tub area is at the very back of the park. It was large and empty. We didn’t go in, so I can’t really comment.

5. Lastly, there is the real water slide part. This area was great! Our 3 year old didn’t quite make the height requirement of 42” (she missed by an inch!!!), but the 4 year old was able to ride with an adult. There are 4 slides here. Anyone over 48” can ride all 4. 42-48” may ride either of the tube only slides with an adult on a tandem tube. Both of the tube slides are a lot of fun. The wife and I did the non-tube slides too. Those were way more fun for me, but the wife liked riding the tube slides solo.

The outdoor pool was clean the first day, but surprisingly murky on day 2. It’s heated and large. Plenty of lounge chairs out here; lots of empty ones too. A worker came out @ 4pm each day and handed out popsicles to all of the kids. Awesome touch!! There is a beer/beverage stand there too. We didn’t use it, but a lot of the kids had frozen drinks.

The hotel common areas are dank, dark and outdated. It’s a throw-back. That said, the room was fine. The beds were comfortable and the mattresses were not worn down on the sides (from people sitting on them) like most places we have stayed. That was a plus because I didn’t feel like the kids would roll right out of the bed! The bathtub and tile were sooooooo freaking clean that I could see my reflection in them. That’s a huge plus because the kids still take baths. I am still amazed at how clean the bathtub was. Ridiculous!! We had a door that went outside onto a little deck. Great for putting our bathing suits out to dry. Nice view too! Rather large refrigerator was nice to keep our snacks in. it was not a typical tiny hotel room fridge, it was a bigger, dorm room size one.

Game room is best suited for kids older than mine. No real games for the young ones. Pac-man is $.50 for one man, yet it’s $.25 for 3 @every other arcade you have been to since the 80’s. the games are overpriced, but who cares, you’re on vacation.

You have the option of including breakfast in your and I am so glad we included it. I had read in other reviews that the buffet was not open during the week. It was while we were there. It was an amazing buffet – much better than what we anticipated. Sadly it doesn’t open until 7:30, which is a bit late for us, but again – you’re on vacation. They have cereals, pastry, fresh fruit, plain pancakes + blueberry one day and chocolate chip the next day, French toast sticks, bacon and sausage that was cooked perfectly, eggs, omelette station (wife loved it), waffles with all the fixings, yogurt and probably some more stuff that I am forgetting. Only let down was the French toast. They use some sort of bakery/French loaf for it, which is fine, but there was about ½ a fried egg surrounding each piece on the side they cooked first. That’s kind of rookie, but the french toast sticks more than made up for it. If you want regular toast, just ask your server. They will cook it and bring it right out. Service @ breakfast was great!

Wow, this is long! The last thing… it was great that they let you into the water park on the last day (keep your bracelet on from the day before though). You can go in from 8:30 until 10, at which time they close daily for cleaning. That left plenty of time to hit the outside pool for another 15, get back to the room, get everyone changed and hit the road by the 11am check out.
I will go back for sure, mainly because the water park is only open to guests staying there.

Overall I prefer the Mount Washington Hotel but it’s pricier, farther from the action, and it has no water park.

Room Tip: go for the mountain view. i would not be happy if i were on the floor, and near Champneys restauran...
4  Thank Sully617
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

What a nice and thorough review you've written about your recent stay, Thank you for taking the time to let us know what fun you all had...The Kahuna Laguna is a self contained, everything you need water park which you noted each feature's rating on! Overall a very nice time had by your family which we appreciated reading.

The mushroom water feature is on of OUR favorites too; not to mention the water dump bucket that drenches you like old faithful! Thanks for the high scores all around.

We love being called 'ridiculously' clean and 'spotless' houskeeping - the room attendant was shared your feedback and had a big smile of pride...you represent lots of families who visit and appreciate the same.

A frozen drink menu was unveiled this summer to a resounding 'SLURRRPPP' to be heard poolside and yes, the kids love the "Keeko-tinis" a special coconut smoothy we've mixed just for them.

I may plead guilty on the rookie french toast that morning as when I jump in to make the texas toast I get overzealous on the batter, duly noted and glad we recovered with the best french toast sticks in the valley.

Again: we read your review and shared it with the team, feel free to email me on your 8th review trip and let me continue to join the team in earning gold stars from Braintree again!

Thank you and have a nice summer!

Steve Lambert & entire resort team

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We will definitely be returning to Mountain View Resort. Our room was spacious, well appointed and included a porch facing a beautiful mountain view. Kahuna Laguna Water Park on the property was a hit with our grandchildren and us! Champrey's Restaurant (also on the property) was a pleasant surprise. Chef Roland Riando outdid himself with the Prime Rib Buffet...delicious. We regretted not staying longer in order to try more offerings on the menu!

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for a great review of your vacation! Your mentioning Executive Chef Roland was particularly nice as we agree that the dining in Champney's is a great experience! Chef personally carves during the Prime Rib Buffet and many others - his supporting staff you dont see are just as talented too.

The Kahuna Laguna and accommodations for your grand children are nice to read about, thank you for sharing time with your family at our house!

We hope to see you back before summer's end and hoped your trip home was uneventful.

Steve, Roland and the Great Team

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain View for 3 nights - the first week Storyland was open all week. We did two packages to include both Storyland and Santa's village tickets as well as breakfast each day and the indoor water park. The staff was wonderful - easiest check in ever at a hotel. Keys and all tickets were already in an envelope ready to hand over. The staff was wonderful - everyone was pleasant, always saying hello and chatting whenever possible - from waiters to front desk staff to pool staff. The breakfast buffet was by far the best I have had at a hotel in the N. Conway area - lots of choices and very fast service. The view of the mountains from the restaurant is breathtaking.

The pool area was clean and the water was very clean - not so for some other hotels in the area. I want to be able to see my feet in a pool.

The water park was fun. My 4 year old had a blast playing on all the little kid areas and the wave pool and the adults had fun on the water slides and wave pool. It was nice to be able to relax there after a day in the sun. It would be nice if the water park was included in the price of the hotel though.

Even with a hotel full of kids I did not hear any families walking up and down the halls or making noise.

The rooms are a bit dark due to the darker wallpaper and paint in the rooms.

Overall a stellar experience. We will be back!

Room Tip: If you have a baby or little kids with lots of stuff - we ended up with a room right next to the tur...
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Awesome review all around! Your three day vacation including StoryLand sounded awesome...our part in delivering great details and staff come natural to the entire team - we appreciate your thankful feedback for sure!

The design of the hotel allows for families and couples alike to stay and enjoy themselves, one of the benefits of having rolling acres of land and sprawling resort activities, we are glad you enjoyed most of our offerings...

We will be sure to mention the Kahuna Laguna staff and the unsung heroes who strive for great memories for our guests, when we Thank You for staying and writing!

Have a great summer and see you in the fall if not sooner!

Steve Lambert and Great Team

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at the Red Jacket Inn for the Father's day weekend and had a great time
at your resort.

At Sunday morning breakfast my childern enjoyed the "blueberry buckel" When I commented
about it the server got Chef Bill from the kitchen, he told me how to make it at home and gave me a small serving to go. Thanks Chef Bill for making a great experience even better

Tim O'Malley

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Happy Belated Father's Day and THANK YOU for spending it with us...You made our day when you mentioned our Star Billy the Chef! He arrives at work before the roosters crow and leaves after the last lunch plate is cleared, has been doing that for years. He appreciated the Thanks when reading this and remembers discussing his Blueberry Buckle recipe!

Just promise us that you wont get so good at making that dish that you stop coming for more here! Thank you again for being a great family to be with and enjoy your summer.

Steve Lambert, Chef Billy and supporting cast.