“Huge disappointment”

Sweet Maple Cafe
Ranked #69 of 95 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife made our third of what's become an annual weekend trip to the Fryeburg, ME/North Conway, NH for a weekend getaway. The past 2 years, we've driven by this cafe and said we need to stop in there some time for lunch.

The weekend after Easter was a washout, so after some outlet shopping, we dropped in for lunch. We loved the atmosphere when we walked in - nice cafe set-up where you go to the counter to order lunch. There is a small gift sop when you first walk in with local favorites. You can stare at the pastries in the shelves next to the register and the menus are spelled out on chalkboards.

My wife ordered the rustic grilled cheese with chips and I ordered the grilled chicken with smoked mozzarella and side of baked beans. Strating with my sandwich - i got a boneless chicken breast that was maybe 3 ounces and you could tell it was frozen chicken...just didn't have that fresh taste. It came with barely any red onion (which was one of 3 toppings) 1 slice of tomato, and a decent slice of cheese. It was served on bread that seemed like it was pre-made in the panini maker at some factory and then frozen. Then it get reheated and served. Everything was pre-packaged and lacked freshness. The baked beans - they were B&M canned beans.

The rustic grilled cheese was a joke. For $7.95, I expect more than 1 slice of cheese. Yes - 1 slice of cheese that wasn't even fully melted, 1 slices of over-cooked bacon, and 1 slice of tomato thrown between the pre-made panini bread.

They had some good-looking pastries...but we were wrong again. Got a slice of strawberry butter-cream cake - could totally tell it was frozen and pre-made and the top of layer of frosting just "chunked" off and tasted frozen. The cake was dry, and the lone saving grace was the thin layer of strawberry in the middle. Again - another huge disappointment.

The only reason I didn't rate this as a 1 star/Terrible rating was the iced coffee. Really cool idea as it's served with ice cubes that were actually coffee that was frozen. Genius!

You can read my other reviews - not a person who complains about places just to complain. I've had very high praises for majority of places I've gone too. Here - it's not worth the money because the food is severely lacking in freshness and flavor. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

1  Thank Keith F

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Great food, great service, gluten free, little shop for maple syrup and cups ect. Very nice place, we alway stop here when we are in north conway! Seems like they have a great breakfast, just never been because all the hotels have free breakfast

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Great place to stop for coffee. I was passing through and stopped for coffee. I had a ice coffee and when I was nearly finished I noticed the ice cubes were brown. I was thinking "what the heck" then I realized it was frozen coffee ice cubes. What a great idea to not water down your ice coffee with regular water ice cubes. Since then I have been freezing left over coffee so I have coffee cubes at home.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We arrived for our stay in Conway around 2:00 in the afternoon. Just in time! Sweet Maple closes at 3:00.

The food was excellent, sandwiches, salads, soups. You can find what you want. And those sandwiches are served on their own home baked breads. Then its hard to walk past the cookies on display. I haven't had the breakfasts (I stay at a B&B.), but I would bet they are just as good.

The staff are friendly, observant, and helpful.

We try to get to Conway at least once each year. It's a must to arrive before 3:00.