“YadaYadaYada”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2006

I've driven by this resturant for years but never stopped in for eats while visiting the White Mountains because the place never passed my test for deciding if an unknown place was worthy enough to lay down hard earned cash for. The test? Are there any local liscense plates in the parking lot?

In the 20+ years I've driven past, I've never seen a NH plate. Now I know why. The food was less than OK and the prices were insane. My wife got a fried fishermans platter and I got a 2lb baked stuffed lobster. The lobster was OK, but the price was $44! Thats crazy. I can get the same thing for the same price at Capital Grill!

My wifes fried platter was horrible. Only $13, but nasty anyway. The fish was bad the shrimp was tiny (as in more batter than 3/4 inch long shrimp had a right too) and the fried clams turned out to be strips. Well, we're from New England, so we eat whole clams. The bigger the belly the better, but strips? They might as well be batter strips with a hint of clam juice encasing elastic bands.

The server noticed that my wife hadn't made a dent in her meal, (I had given her the claws from my lob so she would have something), and offered to take 10% off her meal! 10%, OH WOW!, So we saved a buck and change and left VERY disappointed. The only reason I don't give the place 1 star is because the stuffing in the lobster wasn't rancid.

Visit the Lobster Trap at your own PERIL!

5  Thank Fatdogtavern

Reviewed July 22, 2006

I travel both on the East Coast of the U.s. and in Asia, and this is one of the best seafood restaurants that I've ever been to, and I've been to many in both parts of the world.

While this restaurant is casual and totally lacking in 5 star ambiance, the food is extraordinarily great, especially the clam chowder - simply sumptuous! Everything that we had from lobster, to steamers, to even the salad and bread were fresh and delicious.

We also enjoyed the drink offerings from the bar and dessert offerings, while fairly limited, were excellent. Cheese cake was perfect.

2  Thank taiwanbostontraveler
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We haven't been to North Conway in a year and there have been some changes (eg. Mario's Italian is now a terrible Tex-Mex restaurant and some of the outlet stores have changed), but one place remains the same and is better than ever: The Lobster Trap!

The menu underwent some minor modifications since we last came here a year ago. All of the excellent entree's are now on one menu (with some new offerings) and there's a seperate menu for the appetizers.

Me and my daughter enjoyed the Lobsters - I had a 2-1/2 pounder, and my daughter had a 1 pounder. Delectible! The lobster's were boiled to perfection and fresh.

My husband tried one of the new offerings - the Scallop Scampi. He loved it. While we were in North Conway we ate there on 4 nights, and he ordered the Scallop Scampi each time. He said he never tasted better sea scallops then at the Lobster Trap.

My younger son had the fish and chips - which he didn't like. But there's a good reason: it was real fish - not the lousy fish sticks he's used to. We just ordered him and hot dog and I, my husband and my daughter, each munched on the rejected kid's fish and chips - absolutely delicious! My other son had the chicken fingers, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

And let me say something about the Clam Chowder. It is simply amazing. We went to Freeport one afternoon and tried the chowdah there, and it was northing like what is served at the Lobster Trap; there is some special flavoring that makes Lobster Trap Chowder the best around - no wonder it is "award winning".

The Lobster Trap is at the top of its game. There is no better place in North Conway to get authentic seafood. Sadly, they closed their Lobster Trap Express in the center of North Conway, but business is booming at dinner time on the West Side Road location of the Lobster Trap.

7  Thank rockland,ny
Reviewed April 21, 2006

The exterior of the place is unassuming and fairly plain. Restaurant is located a bit off the beaten path on the West Side Road which is, naturally, a few miles west of the main North Conway Strip. Interior is plain as well. It seems that all of the attention is directed towards the wonderful food that is served at this restaurant.

Lobsters are their specialty - no surprise given the name. There are a variety of sizes to choose from. My wife had a 3 or 4 pounder.. my daughter had a 1 pounder and both were satisfied.

I'm not into cracking the shells so i had the Lobster pie, which was excellent.

You must also have their clam chowder which is to die for.

I've also had the Lobster stew, which is wonderful as well.

We've enjoyed steamers there... broiled scallops are sumptuous. Even kids chicken fingers and fries were excellent.

They also have the Lobster Trap Express in the middle of North Conway, which is equally good for lunch!

5  Thank tristateny
A TripAdvisor Member
Bethlehem, New hampshire
Reviewed July 18, 2005

Mussels & Linguine /w Scampie Sauce

The best I had since I left Brooklyn, NY.

The host's where friendly, the service

was excelent, but the food was the star.

June 18 2005

PS

The chef came out and talked to us and made

sure everything was up to standard.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member