“Good beer, good food, one of my usual spots in NH”

Moat Mountain Smokehouse
Ranked #6 of 95 Restaurants in North Conway
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed October 18, 2012

When I visit NH, I stay in Jackson and as you may know, there is not much that is open in Jackson much past 8pm. So whenever I get into town, I head to Moat Mountain as one of my "usual" dinner spots. This year I was not feeling a heavy meal, so I decided to stop for salad and beer.

The food was very good, I had a beautiful salad and a cup of soup. Also the beer is very good since it is fresh. I had the Oktoberfest and perhaps had 2 or 3! The staff is always very nice, so all in all this is a great place to stop when up in the White Mountains. I will certainly be back next time I am in New Hampshire.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

My only regret is I only had the chance to come here once.

This place seems to be a house that has been converted to a restaurant. We were sat at the porch area which overlooked the street/parking lot, next to a gas heating stove. This area is enclosed but offered a nice view of the surrounding area and almost sunset.

As an app I ordered the Jalapeno Biscuits (which were ok, I was a bit disappointed since my local southern BBQ eatery does far better biscuits) and my wife ordered a cheese flatbread with hummus. She was completely blown away by the hummus. I have no appreciation for what looks like snail paste but she was extremely impressed. I did sample the flatbread and it was quite good - I should have skipped the biscuits for one of these...

I ordered the beef brisket and it is served in the traditional Texas style dry-rub technique. I found it to be excellent and certainly satisfying. The mashed potatoes it came with were average, nothing special.

My wife had butternut ravioli to eat. Interesting note - a few nights earlier she ordered something similar at another place and they put some kind of meat inside it - but didn't advertise that on the menu! This was not good for a vegetarian of course. So here she asked if Moat did that too. The waitress said certainly not and even checked to make sure there was nothing a vegetarian couldn't eat in the meal.

We were very well attended to here, the waitress knew her stuff and was willing to double check to be sure she was right.

I really appreciated she didn't try to push the beer on us after she saw we just wanted some sodas to drink. I hear they are well known for the local beer and I'm sure it's a huge money maker for them. In fact I saw some locals coming in with huge empty refillable containers to take some of their beer home.

I never saw the inside of this restaurant past the porch, but what I saw and experienced would make me want to go back next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Great hip spot. Lots of younger people. Views. Delicious smoked meats, pizza and nachos. Fresh home brews.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The daily crowds outside waiting to be seated peaked our interest. We were invited to wait in the bar, which was jammed with locals and possibly every hiker from the mountain. No problem, we just sampled several local beers from their large selection before dinner. From the hostesses to the waiters, the service was friendly and the food arrived hot and tasty. It might be difficult to go here with a large party or impatient kids, but we found the wait worth it.

1  Thank susanglo78
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Awesome service and atmosphere! Good beer! I am still dreaming of the nachos with the BBQ sauce and beef from the smokehouse. Would go again and again..if only it wasn't 12 hours away!