“Gem in the heart of North Conway Village”
Review of Kearsarge Inn

Kearsarge Inn
Ranked #4 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gem in the heart of North Conway Village”
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Absolutely amazing and far beyond expectations! My husband surprised me this past weekend with a getaway to the Kearsarge Inn to celebrate my 29th birthday. We tend to think inns in general are "hit or miss" with many of them old, run down, and not really kept up to modern standards. Not this one! We were overwhelmingly impressed when we arrived at the Kearsarge. Modern, clean and completely renovated. We stayed in a deluxe room which was huge and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was also oversized and included a fantastic bathtub and separate shower. We had perfect views of Mount Cranmore and love the accessibilty of being able to walk downtown.

If you are deciding between an overpriced and overpacked chain hotel in the area- opt for the Kearsarge. You won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
boston, ma
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed here as newlyweds on our "mini-moon" right after our wedding night, and it was our second time there. Everything about this place is absolutely lovely, from the service to the lovely yet simple rooms, to the excellent location in the middle of N. Conway. We consider ourselves discriminating consumers, and this is our go-to place. One small complaint is that the jacuzzi tub was a little small in the last room we stayed in. It is literally a standard sized tub with jets. But that may have been the particular room we were staying in. There is also no fitness center, pool, or spa, but aside from the pool, you have access to all that within a stone's throw in town. We will absolutely stay here next time we are in North Conway. Bravo to the folks who keep this place up, and thank you!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The Kearsarge Inn is a very beautiful inn centrally located in North Conway. We were upgraded to a superior room at the price of a standard room, what was really nice. Our room was very big, even though we had some hard time trying to lower the room temperature, and had to sleep both with the air conditinioning and the heater on. Our private bath was also big and well appointed. Breakfast is not served in the inn, but there is complimentary coffee and orange juice. There are some great choices to have breakfast nearby, but most of them open at 8 am., what is a little bit if you want to do a day-hike. Regardless of the heavy rain, we had a great time over there and could climb Mount Washington on the only sunny day we had.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Please go by what your fellow reviewers say. I was so excited to stay here, so close to town and on-line it looks really nice. Unfortunately, cleanliness was a big issue. The ice bucket was dirty. I pulled out the sofa bed for my kids, clearly the brown sheets are unforgiving. There were stains from a past stay and my kids had to sleep with us in bed b/c it looked so gross. When I brought it up to the lady at the desk in the monring she seemed stunned and said of course we clean our sheets after each stay. The smoke dectector was pulled out of the ceiling and there were no batteries. The Inn only had juice in the morning not even a nice continental breakfast or afternoon snacks. Clearly this Inn looks nice on the internet but needs some big time help. The print on the carpets may seem like they hide a lot but they defintely look old and dingy. I would not recommend you stay here, especially if all you want is a clean comfrtable place to sleep- the basics are not even met here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank FreewayBoston
North Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 11, 2010

On a spur of the moment need to get away, I called a few Inns/hotels in the North Conway area. I was looking for a reasonable rate, without sacrificing cleanliness. I made my reservation with Amy (I believe) who was immensely helpful. We ended up getting a great rate and stayed in room 15 in the back. It was very clean and a great value for the price. The location can't be beat. We were able to walk to dinner, the store, ice cream...anything we needed was all in walking distance.
I would say the restaurant Decades Steakhouse that is recommended wasn't up to expectations as the hostess was very short with us and told us "it would be at leasttt 2 hours, you should have made reservations." I'd recommend Wine Thyme down the street. Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2010

upon walking in, even though I stepped on a pretzel on the rug, the room looked just fine. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. It was large, as was the bathroom, which seemed to have been renovated within say the last 5 years. However, when I poked my head into the shower to see if there was shampoo etc, the smell that emanated from it was disgusting...it didn't look dirty, but smelled horrible. Then I started to get nervous. The jacuzzi tub looked marginally clean, and the bedcovers looked like they hadn't been washed in quite a while. The sheets seemed clean, though. I booked a room with a sofabed, not knowing whether my other teen daughter would be able to join us, and was assured the bed was comfortable - or rather, "I've had no complaints" Welllll, when my daughter did come, we opened the sofa bed to find a lumpy, sunken mattress. I went into the cupboard, where they told me the blankets and pillows would be, and everything was all rolled up in a ball, clearly not having been washed from the previous user. The pillow case has saliva and other stains on it. The sheets were ripped in several places. I get that it's a sofa bed, but come on! My daughter was so skeeved out by it - especially after feeling like she needed to wear flip flops in the shower, that I offered to let her sleep in my bed with my other teen daughter. So three of us slept in one bed, had a sleepless night. When I complained about it in the morning, I was met with astonishment, and the woman acted like I was making it up. She came to the room to give me a copy of my bill, as I said I wanted to leave a night early - AND they charged me for the third night I wasn't going to be staying for (they've since credited me for the third night after I complained to the manager) I showed her the sheets, the blankets rolled up in the closet...pointed out the pretzels on the rug. I got a smarmy smile and not a single apology.
The Inn is in a great location, walking distance to shops and restaurants , but there was no sense that the owners want the place to be the best it can be. There is only coffee, not a cookie to be found (they do tell you that ahead of time on their website). The 4 hanging flower baskets on the porch (and no where else were there flowers) were sparse and untended, the porch had such potential and there is one table and a few chairs...As an aside, the air conditioner in the room was pointed right at the bed, so even with moving the vents, it still blew right on you while sleeping...
I was so disappointed by the whole experience.
I would NOT recommend this Inn - and sadly, the few nights I had with my daughters were hardly relaxing...but sleepless and creepy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank teritravels2010
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We stayed in Room 209, an amazing room with balcony with wicker furniture, fireplace, couch/chairs and a great bed ... just beautiful on the street perpendicular to the train station 100 yds from the center of Norh Conway. This B&B doesn't serve breakfast because there are two great breakfast places within a block. A steakhouse next door and lots of restaurants and ice cream nearby. Only down side was I couldn't find wireless at night but forgot to ask about it and everyone was gone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple