“I Should Have Known Better”
Review of Hillbilly's Southern Bar B Q - CLOSED

Hillbilly's Southern Bar B Q
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Arrived at 7.30 and out of the 30+ tables. only 3 were occupied. It should have been a big hint but I wanted ribs and chicken wings, so I went in anyway! It took 3 minutes before one of the serving staff saw me and led me to a table, if they were full, it was a decent wait but, they weren't. After a 10-minute wait to be served (remember, only 3 tables occupied), I ordered my beer and looking at the attractive menu, I opted for the chicken wings to start, with babyback and St Louis ribs for my main (with garlic bread, coleslaw and corn on the cob). Oddly, both dishes came at once and I queried this. The server said "they must be pretty quick tonight"...quick? I was the only table eating! There was no need to be quick!

My wings were piping hot, decent enough sauce and juicy - excellent. My garlic bread turned out to be a slice of toasted white bread, no garlic, instead a small patty of butter; really weird. To make matters worse, I couldn't taste the BBQ in any of the meats and the ribs were dry; considering they advertise "award-winning BBQ ribs", it must have been many years ago. I ate all the wings, left half of the ribs and the (sic) garlic bread. The corn was also tasteless, it tasted like it was kept in hot water for a very long time and taken out when ordered. It just felt that no one cared about what they served or how it was cooked.

All in all, pretty poor fare. I commented that I didn't get a BBQ taste from the ribs and I was told that they were smoked for hours in a "really good smoker". That made it worse for me and I declined the take away box - couldn't imagine taking the garlic bread home! Note to self, if you go to an award winning BBQ restaurant and it is 90% empty - keep walking! Worst meal of the week so far, then I looked at Trip Advisor....this place came so low in the ratings, I must do my homework before going out again.

2  Thank Richie-In-Oxon

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We are Wyndham owners and part of our package are discounts to certain restaurants, this being one of them, however upon arrival and showing them the coupon they didn't honor it stating that there are many scams out there. I called the programs 800# while I was at the restaurant and they confirmed that they are a paying advertiser so they are obviously using
wyndham to advertise for them and not honoring the coupons.

Wyndham said that the account rep would be calling the owner and that they (wyndham) would call me back. I haven't heard back yet.

Food was good but won't go back, they appear to be dishonest.

2  Thank Mike G
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We left Storyland and planned on stopping somewhere else, but all the places on our list had huge waits. We decided to pull into Hillbilly, glad we did. The kitchen was a little slow but the food was very good. For our family of 4 (4&5 year old) we shared the hillbilly buffet, and had leftovers.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I went to this restaurant looking to get genuine BBQ and was very disappointed. I ordered a full rack of ribs at a price of $31 and the ribs were dry, rather tasteless and did not have that "fall off the bone" quality. For $31, you only get the ribs and a slice of garlic bread. No sides at all (chips, cole slaw, fries -- all are priced separately). My wife and daughter went to the salad bar and found mostly greens and found nothing special there. The restaurant advertises in the local tourist paper that children 5 and under eat free. I was traveling with 3 children who were 5 and under. The children could only order from the child's menu and at billing time the server charged us for the meals. She explained that the "free meal" is for children 4 and under. She did eventually capitulate and removed the charge for the children. One bright spot was that the wings were big and had a nice taste. Based upon my dining experience at this restaurant, don't believe their advertisements claiming that they serve award winning and acclaimed ribs.

1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed August 17, 2014

We were seated immediately, then waited for over ten minutes for a server to acknowledge our presence. We ordered both beverages and food. While the drinks came somewhat quickly, the food did not. It was just under 50 minutes when our dinners arrived. The server set down the plates and announced that the kitchen was busy. Within five minutes, she checked on us and wanted to know if the food was worth the wait. Upon finishing and asking for the bill, it was another ten minutes of waiting. Food quality was fine, but definitely NOT worth the wait. There will be no return visits from us.

1  Thank Travelin'Pair