“Smith cottage...be aware!”

Ranked #9 of 21 North Conway B&B and Inns
Massachusetts, United States
“Smith cottage...be aware!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were staying a week-end and had a dog, so the cottage was the only place to stay at this B&B. I try to find some pictures online but the only one was of the kitchen and it looked nice and clean.
Leon and Nellie are a really nice couple and I am sure they'll want to learn from this review.
The Smith cottage was more a cabin furnished with things from the side of the road and it will be OK except when you pay $200 a night without breakfast. Yes! No breakfast if you stay in the cottage. The place had not be renovated for year. The first thing we notice was the smell of cigaret. My child said it as soon as we open the door. Not pleasant. The bathroom was really dated with old lino floor and mold around the shower. The shower curtain was really slimy with brownish water stains, and we try our best not to touch it, and this was also true for the rest of the shower. The mat on the bathroom floor was half chewed up and dirty, and even so we have a dog, we don't really want to feel in a dog motel, when we pay $200 a night.
My husband went to lay done after our arrival but jump back up at the sweaty smell of the pillows. We had to cover them with our jackets to be able to rest our head. One of the blanket was tear-up through out. The second "bedroom" was an alcove of the main one and the size of a walk-in closet. OK for a little kid but it only close with a bead curtains so no privacy there. The carpet in the main room had stains and also a large patch. Too rough. The towels had a smoky smell again and none matched what could be OK but the smell was strong.
A sign in the room said to leave the towels you want to be change in the shower, what we did, but when we came back that night the room hadn't be done and the towels were still at the same place. Very disappointing! The bed were very uncomfortable with cheap mattresses.
The cabin style could pass if it was clean and not top price. I am joining photos as I think they show the best what I am describing.
I hope Leon and Nellie will do what they need to do to make it better for the next visitors or seriously lower the price of this cabin and include more photos to be more honest about what the cottage look like.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank ginger208
sippicans, Owner at Spruce Moose Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
We were very surprised when we read this review because the family seemed very happy during their stay. Had they communicated to us that they had issues with our cottage, we certainly would have done everything possible to improve things for them. That being said, we do not agree with most of the statements in the review. We do agree that the cottage needs some TLC and we will address this as soon as we are able. Also, it is never $200.00 a night except for Columbus day Weekend, the busiest weekend of the year - rates are high that time of year everywhere in the Valley.

Last night we had a glass of wine with some other guests in the Smith cottage(return guests, they ask for this particular cottage every time they stay). It was very comfortable, clean smelling and pleasant. I like the decor- not fancy, eclectic but fitting with our style. Everyone has his or her own taste.

As innkeepers, we ask any guests to please let us know if you aren't happy with your accommodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We have stayed here with our dogs twice.
Leon and Nellie are very accommodating and are always there to answer any questions or give recommendations.
Our dogs enjoy staying here as well, many places to walk and minutes to downtown N. Conway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NCJEDI
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Leon and Nellie make the Spruce Moose so welcoming. My husband and I picked the place because of the cute name and we were not disappointed. The main lodge is so comfy you can curl up with a book or socialize with others. Our room was small but good mattress (very important). Breakfast was excellent and the family dogs are so sweet. We missed our dog so plan on staying in a dog friendly cottage there next visit. I have already been back once with a hiking friend and she was equally as impressed. It's nice to be just a 5-6 minute walk from town so you can choose to go out and play or sit and relax on the porch with a glass of wine and a good book. Love the inn and the innkeepers!

• Stayed July 2012
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2012

First time at the Spruce Moose Lodge. Love to hike in New England. Stayed at a lot of B&B's because I like breakfast in the morning!! Most hotels only have coffee and a bun or dry cereal. LOL Hiked the Presidential Mtns, Diana's Baths Waterfalls, Pinkham Notch and finished up in Echo Lake! All were long day hikes!

I gotta tell you that Spruce Moose Lodge was the best place I've ever stayed.
Why? Because Leon and Nellie are the nicest people and they go out of their way to help with every little thing! The breakfasts were terrific!! Can't say enough about good the food was.
The location is perfect~ It's near everything!!! It's also quiet. The atmosphere is very calm and comfy. We felt very comfortable there.
Leon is very funny and Nellie is such a sweetheart! It was truly an awesome week!

Did scoot down to the town one evening and went to Horse Feathers. Great pub like atmosphere, with plenty of tables and booths on the other side. We enjoyed it as we are quite laid-back folks! Of course picked up some incredible treats at Zebs.

For sure you'll love this place and we'll be back! THANKS SO MUCH LEON & NELLIE!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had a major hike the day before I checked out of the Spruce Moose. The day of check out, I left my key. Nell, one of the innkeepers, dropped by and thanked me for dropping it off (Nell was a sweetheart!). I happened to still be tired, so sat in one of the lovely rocking chairs on the front porch talking to family members on the phone for what turned out to be several hours (also I wanted to avoid talking on my phone while driving). I felt so welcome, so comfortable, so "at home" at that point! It was hot, so I went inside for water from the dining area. It was around 2pm more or less by this time. As I was on the phone with my mother, and as I walked to exit the building, the other innkeeper, Leon, came running out of the kitchen yelling at me that I had been given plenty of time to check out (note that I had *already checked out* and it had been picked up!), along with a several other insulting comments, in a loud, angry tone. He yelled at me in no uncertain terms, essentially along the lines of, "You need to LEAVE.. now!" Note that no one at any time said to me, nor was it advertised, "You really need to not only checkout, but also get off the property by X time of your check out day." The other innkeeper had even walked by me an hour earlier. No one ever said *politely*, which is what I would have expected, something along the lines of, "We know that you must be exhausted from your hike from yesterday, and we have loved having you. But please consider our policy of [xyz]. The reason why we do this is [xyz]." I will not, however, tolerate being yelled at for something about which I was never informed (i.e. that it was not okay to sit on the porch and talk on the phone before my long drive home, or that it was not okay that I reenter the lodge to help myself to water before I left). I have never filed a complaint with the BBB before, but all in all, Leon's behavior was completely unprofessional and uncalled for. I am a reasonable human being and am open to calm, rational explanation. Leon's behavior was, frankly, frightening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank R W
sippicans, Manager at Spruce Moose Lodge and Cottages, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
We were sad to read this review. We genuinely try to please all of our guests but sometimes our efforts back fire. If this review is putting you on the fence about staying with us, we invite you to give us a call. Leon did not yell at, nor order this young woman to leave.
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at the spruce moose earlier this year and it was our 6th visit. This time we stayed in one of the cottages rather than the main lodge. The whole stay and experience was just as great as it always is. Nellie and Leon are such wonderfully warm and friendly people and the accommodation is so cosy and picturesque that we always want to go back again and again

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the lodge for four nights- and we wish it could have been for even longer. Nellie and Leon are the perfect innkeepers. They are so warm and friendly and were so helpful when we asked for advice about what to do during our stay. We stayed in the Garland room on the second floor- it was so quaint and comfortable. The rest of the house is just as wonderful, too. There is an amazing porch, a beautiful dining room where we'd have an amazing (and huge!) homemade breakfast every morning, and an area with a refrigerator, coffee, utensils and everything you could ever need. The location in North Conway is perfect- we could easily walk into town for dinner or for ice cream. We hope to return as soon as we can!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple