“Not Impressed”

Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night during our honeymoon. We checked on trip advisor to check the reviews and they were all great or excellent so we decided to stay here. Check in went well the front desk lady seemed to be friendly.
Once we got to our room we were very pleased with the size of the room, very spacious, however the bed was terrible!! The floor would probably be more comfortable. I went down to the front desk and asked for another room with a better bed, she was very helpful in trying to find us a better bed. However when I went to 4 different rooms the beds got worse, and the smell of stale cigarette smoke was terrible. If it was not smoke smell it was a musky smell. The front desk lady said there was nothing else she could do. We asked to upgrade to the honeymoon suite thinking it would be a better room. It was absolutely a beautiful room, very big and clean. The bed seemed better than the others.
In the morning my husband and I woke up with sore backs and very unrested. It was not worth the extra money we had to spend for a "better" bed. The noise outside our room started very early with kids running up and down the halls and sounded like construction outside our room really early.
Breakfast was very good, lots of options but very crowded. The hours should be longer for people to be able to enjoy it. It was not even 10 am yet and they started to clear everything away. Tables were very busy but after waiting a few minutes we were able to sit down.
While we were eating the front desk lady that helped us last night was sitting beside us talking to other co-workers. We had to get up and leave because we felt uncomfortable due to her talking bad about us complaining about the beds last night. She kept going on about us and told her co-workers she told us to leave and sleep on the streets. NOT AT ALL IMPRESSED with this attitude.
If we are ever back in the area we will NOT be staying at this hotel again. Very poor service and horrible beds.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank KCMacK
davenh012, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

I am sorry that your visit with us went so poorly. The desk agent did not offer the best solution. The agent did not use professional judgement by discussing your experience to others. The hotel has taken responsibility for this and an immediate solution was made. Please do not let this experience at our hotel jade your decision to stay at any other of the Choice Hotels International properties.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here recently with our 3 kids. The room was very nice, and the staff treated us very well. The kids loved the pool, and, although we didn`t play the mini-golf, it was crowded every day. My only complaint was the breakfast hours. It should be extended to 11:00 am. When the hotel is full, it gets very crowded and between the lines and NO tables, we were shut out one morning, because of the time limit. If it was extended, maybe everyone could take advantage of it. Beds were good, but the pullout wasn`t the best, according to my son who slept in it.My son`s used the fitness center, and they liked it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank bryanp56
davenh012, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent visit. Since our new breakfast started this summer it has been an overwhelming hit with our families. We have provided several outdoor sitting areas and many guests enjoy breakfast outside overlooking the gardens. Extending the hours of breakfast will be given serious consideration. We hope to see you again in North Conway.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

The property has a beautiful mini-golf course and everything is very well-maintained. Rooms include a microwave and fridge. Breakfast included many fresh choices (hard eggs, yogurt, fruit) as well as "make your own" waffles and a staff member was on duty to help and keep the area clean. Even the coffee was quite good- much better than the usual hotel fare. Everyone was friendly, helpful and responsive. There is a clear attitude of high level service, not always the case with a mid-level chain.

2  Thank simsons

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. The breakfast staff was very proud to hear your comments. We hope that you will visit us again when you are in North Conway.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

The service was good and staff was friendly, checked in for reservation quickly.
Entered the 'suite' and smelled a very strong stale smoke odour which seemed odd because it's a smoke free facility. Judging by the cigarette burn on the edge of the bathroom sink, they haven't always been "smoke free" and they haven't gotten rid of the smell either. It also smelled of pets and the furniture was filthy. I'm not exaggerating; I've attached a photo of the chair. We were shocked by this because we used Trip Advisor reviews to pick our accomodations and the reviews were all Very Good or Excellent.
Room seemed a little small to be considered a suite but it did have half-wall dividers to give it a multiple room appearance.
Pool was clean and the water temperature was refreshing.
One of the reasons we chose this hotel was that they offered a hot breakfast. The breakfast was good but the serving area is small and it was pretty crowded. There wasn't a table left to sit at so we ended up taking breakfast back to our room.
Good wireless signal in the room.
The best part about the hotel was the service. I forgot my shaving cream and my wife told me to go to the front desk and see if they had some. I said "Come on, it's a two star hotel; they won't have shaving cream." She went down and asked because I wouldn't and came back with a little travel-sized can of Barbasol. Nice.
The worst part was the smell in the room and the filthy furnishings. Perhaps the manager should do some room inspections.

1  Thank Mike C

No excuses - please accept our sincere apology. There was no reason for this detail to be overlooked. We have had a very busy summer and many wet bathing suits; however this stain should have been taken care of immediately. We ask that you give us a second opportunity to please you. I appreciate your bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

As soon as the kids saw the Pirate mini golf next-door to this hotel it was always going to be one of their favourite hotels. The hotel itself overall was very good. Larger than normal hotel sized rooms that had plenty of space for a family of 4. Breakfast was pretty good without being amazing. Indoor pool was nicely heated but felt a bit dated. Gym was very small. The least appealing part of this hotel was unfortunately the average front desk service we received. No one was rude to us, but it just felt that the people we delt with were merely doing the basics without showing any genuine warmth nor really caring to help us over and above an acceptable standard level.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Aussietez
davenh012, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

I apologize! We usually get outstanding compliments about our Front Desk staff; but I think that we missed the mark this time. Please give us another chance to win your business. We love our families and aim to please - I'm confident you will notice a difference on a return visit to North Conway.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend visiting friends. I always look to trip advisor before booking any hotels. I must say the rooms were very clean and the staff was very friendly. We stay at many different hotels and cleanliness is most important to me and this hotel passed the test. We did not take advantage of the breakfast it was very crowded and had a line. Not a problem we just stopped somewhere else to eat. I would recommend this hotel for anyone staying in this area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank GetBetterFood
davenh012, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thanks for staying with us in North Conway. Breakfast is a great hit and it does get very busy during the summer. Please visit us again soon and take advantage of our great hot breakfast buffet! Go TripAdvisor!

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed the week of July 25th and had a wonderful time. Check in was smooth and very pleasant. Everyone at the reception desk is pleasant to talk to and helpful ! Upon entering our room I was happy to say everything was VERY clean ! I inspect everything. One of the best parts of our stay was the free breakfast. We had eggs, sausage, make your own waffles, yogurt, cereals, breads, danishes, muffins fruit, coffee and juices! More breakfast selection then I have ever seen anywhere else. I have to say with today's economy I was so happy that the Comfort Inn offered this wonderful breakfast! All families were very respectful of each other while staying here there were no kids running up and down the hall. There were a good number of kids including my own that were at this hotel too. The hotel also has a decent size pool and offers towels to dry off with. Speaking of towels, I think the quality of towels here were great ! Some hotels need to update their towels not this place. Sometimes when I visit an area I like to try out different hotels well not anymore when visiting North Conway! This will be my first choice in North Conway from now on. On a last note the prices were very reasonable for a hotel in North Conway!!!!!

2  Thank Aharvey1031

You noticed our upgraded towels!! Thank you so much - we want to offer the very best to our guests and you noticed! We're glad you enjoyed our breakfast and we're pleased that the kids were respectful, we are "family friendly" and it can get a little crazy sometimes. Please visit us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Conway
1 mi away
Green Granite Inn & Conference Center
8 mi away
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway? Share your experiences!