“Rip off”

Conway Scenic Railroad
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an old-fashioned railroading experience with all trains departing from an 1874 station in North Conway Village. Whether you choose one of the Valley Trains to Conway or Bartlett, or take the Notch Train through spectacular Crawford Notch, this is a journey back in time the whole family will enjoy. Valley Train Season: mid-April through December. Notch Train Season: late June through mid-October. Coach, First Class, and Dining Car options are available on all routes. Chilren under 4 ride free in Coach on the Valley Trains. Well-behaved dogs are always welcome.
Boston, Massachusetts
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Rip off”
Reviewed November 8, 2006

This train ride would be ok if it was no more than $10. We bought first class seats on the longer train ride. They should be ashamed to charge so much for such crappy scenery. We stopped in front of a yard sale to turn around so that was awkward. The view is basically of trees, peoples backyards, and 5 seond glimpses of water and rocks. And the train was so rocky it gave me a headache and I felt a little sick. Complete waste of money.

4 Thank Jessi9260

Warrington, England
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Nice Trains but ...”
Reviewed November 8, 2006

... just not scenic enough. We took the top seats in the house (literally) in the observation dome car and this was a treat as we'd never been on one before. The views just weren't very scenic. Lots of tight knit woods, houese' back doors, stop off at a gift/apple/pumpkin store but not the sort of panoramas you might assume you were going to get. Still worthwhile though and the half-hour spent scuttling among the stock about in the rail yard behind the trains was interesting, worthwhile, free and could have been a lot longer! Recommended but treat it as a train experience rather than a chance to glimpse the fall colours.

7 Thank bps-uk
Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“enjoyed this trip”
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Went on this train ride last week and liked it very much. It was so good to be able to sit back and admire the view. The colors of Fall absolutely beautiful and a relaxing way to go. We went ordinary class and the carraige we sat in was open ( no glass in the windows) which made for great photos. We could have gone into another carraige which had glass windows if we'd wished but we liked where we were. You can buy coffee and a snack too if you want. We were on the 2 hour trip and I would say it was just about right. Any less time would be too short. This is a nice experience and it didn't cost the earth. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to talk with passengers adding greatly to the enjoyment.

4 Thank kane-04
Dallas, Texas
474 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 978 helpful votes
“Don't Eat The Food”
Reviewed October 18, 2006

I'm old and have riden trains in the United States, China, Australia, you name it. So why would an old fellow like me want to ride the train at Conway, New Hampshire. Just being a kid again.

OK--let's take just the train ride. We only went as far as Bartlett---about 10 miles. Not a lot of scenery along that part of the tracks. Basically just woods although the train did cross some streams that looked interesting. We rode in the dining car. The food was not very good. A roast beef sandwich which I apparently paid a fortune for. Drinks are not inclced so a cup of coffee or canned soda will cost you an additional $1.50 each. The train ticket with sandwich was around $35. Next time we will go for the ride and no food. Just wasn't worth the price.

On the way back the train stoped at a cider house for about 15 minutes. I am opposed to these type mandatory stops that force passengers, whether on a train or bus, to have to wait while others are 'forced into" a shopping stop of this type.

We thought the train ride was OK --just pass on the food and expect a stop along the way to try to get you to "shop".

6 Thank texaswillie
Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't Go First Class”
Reviewed September 28, 2006

My sister and I took the 5 1/2 hour Notch tour (Sept 06). First off, save your money on the first class tickets. I was appalled that after spending $104.00 on two tickets we were sitting knee to knee and eye to eye with two strangers. Then, depending on where they place you (First Class is reserved seating) you could be making half of the trip traveling backwards, which for some people, could make the queazyness outweight the scenery. The windows on this car all had a thick metal bar that crossed horizontally and was eye level. So, to take in any views, your neck was either streched up or bent down to avoid the view of this bar. Also the snack and beverage car was a hike, but you had no room to enjoy a soft drink or snack without including your new neighbors. I saw the Coach car and with the exception of the seats looking a bit like the seats on a school bus, it was far more private and comfortable looking then the First Class car. I would love to know why they considered this certain car First Class. The trip itself was a bit long and although the views of the Notch were in beautiful Autumn color, my interest was lost due to the accomodations. I say, if you plan on taking this train, save your money on the First Class tickets and purchase Coach. Bring your own snacks, lunch and beverages (you are allowed to bring a small cooler aboard). I've been on the shorter train rides and the Frist Class seating was excellent. Everyone had individual padded seats all facing out their own windows which could be opened. But, for this certain train used for the Notch tour, First Class is a bust!

8 Thank Dede78