“relaxing, lovely ride”

Conway Scenic Railroad
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy an old-fashioned railroading experience with all trains departing from an 1874 station in North Conway Village. Whether you choose one of the Valley Trains to Conway or Bartlett, or take the Notch Train through spectacular Crawford Notch, this is a journey back in time the whole family will enjoy. Valley Train Season: mid-April through December. Notch Train Season: late June through mid-October. Coach, First Class, and Dining Car options are available on all routes. Chilren under 4 ride free in Coach on the Valley Trains. Well-behaved dogs are always welcome.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Took our children, ages 7 and 9 and my parents on the Bartlett ride, which is about 1 1/2 hours. It was lovely! We rode in the open air car, but there were 2 other cars that were closed in case you are cold. They have a snack bar, which was popular with the kids. The cars are charming, vintage feel, but plenty comfortable. The scenery was lovely with views of the Saco river in many spots. There is narration on the way to Bartlett which can be difficult to hear over the outside noise. Wouldn't bother with "first class" if you have kids, coach is just fine. Looking forward to the longer Notch train when my children are old enough. Great excursion!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect from this "scenic" train ride as we have been disappointed in other train attractions in the past. I'm very happy to report, that this ended up being a great train ride and I would recommend it to anyone, young and old. We took the longer trip to Bartlett, which was about an hour and 40 minutes and road on the first class car(which was nice and comfortable). The views were beautiful and we crossed quite a few bridges with river views. The guide was very informative and friendly on the 11 mile trip out and told us about the surroundings we were seeing and the history. On the 11 mile trip back we were left to just enjoy the sights and enjoy the ride.
The first class car has faux wicker chairs that are lined up on each side of the car, so that everyone has their own window that you are facing and looking directly out of. This made for great picture taking and the seats had cushions and were quite comfy.
I can't comment on the coach car or the dining car because I didn't seem them. I also don't know what the views are from the shorter 55 minutes ride that goes the opposite direction.

To rap it up, the train car was great, the views were beautiful, the station is truly a piece of history, and the overall experience was fantastic. Oh, and if they have the model railroad open in the freight house, go check it out, it is awesome... and be sure to look close at all the little humorous things that they hid in the layout.

We can't wait to go back for the one of their murder mystery dinner rides.

1  Thank teacupps
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband, 2yo daughter and myself went on the Conway Scenic Railroad Friday, June 7, 2013. It was a rainy day in town so we decided to check out the 55 minute "Valley Train." It was the perfect trip for my little one's attention span! We went on the 1st class train because it was rainy and a little cold for the open Coach car. The 1st class train was very comfortable with big wicker chairs and it was not crowded at all so my daughter could get up and walk around without disturbing everyone! The only thing I would complain about was that you could not bring strollers on the the train. My daughter was in a small umbrella stroller when we bought the tickets and no one told us we could not bring it on the train until the gentleman collecting the tickets told us! So i had to run back to the car to put it in there. The gentleman "narrating" the trip also told us some great facts about the area that we didn't know. Overall it was a great way to help pass a rainy day on vacation to North Conway.

1  Thank ErinD207
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Took a ride on the train and it was fun. It may have been a little hokey, but I really enjoyed that little trip. Kids sure got a bang out of it.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We did the Valley train tour. We rode on the Gertrude Emma. We enjoyed learning about the area, but the announcer was hard to hear. we are planning to do a longer trip in the fall. This was on the short side.

2  Thank Jane C