“Didn't want to leave!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in North Conway
Boston
“Didn't want to leave!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

The most important thing besides cleanliness within your surroundings is the comfort of the bed! I have been a "True Fan" of the "White's" since childhood and have stayed in many places in and around the area. "Eastern Slope Inn" has so far had the most comfy, cozy beds and bedding. Think about it, if you do not get a restful nights sleep, you do not start your day off right. My first stay at the Inn was this past October 2008, when I had the opportunity to stay on a friends time share week. We stayed in the "Main Inn" in a 2 room suite. One room offered a kitchen, cable, murphy bed, pull out sofa, and a sitting area with big windows, letting great light in, overlooking the tennis courts. The kitchen was well equipped including wine glasses which was lovely. It also featured a bathroom with whirlpool tub, iron and board. The second adjoining room offered luxurious queen beds with yummy puffy down/downlike comforters, deliciously cozy, fluffy pillows, sitting area, cable, full bath, and the same big windows and view. The decor is traditional, visually appealing, and clean. The flooring, which was I believe a berber, was spotless and sooo fluffy underfoot. Can you guess I enjoyed my stay? You are right!
The lobby of the Inn is simply a "mini grand lobby" with high ceilings, huge fireplace, warmth,charm n' character, informational pamphlets of the area are available, and a computer to check on your emails n' such if not traveling with your laptop. Also, there is a retail space in the lobby that used to house a sporting goods shop. That has now rented space south of the Inn. Hopefully another retailer will come in to rent the space as it is a nice option to be able to browse and shop on-site. The front desk hosts were helpful and friendly. A great meeting area for friends, family, and other travelers. Don't forget to check out the original elevator. It is accessible from the lobby and is a "blast from the past". I cannot comment on the "in house restaurant" as we usually dine at the best steak house, "The Red Parka Pub" in Glenn (10 minute ride north of the Inn).
The second trip to the "Whites" was this March 2009 to celebrate a birthday. And I had my pick of any lodging and guess were I decided to stay? Yes! Eastern Slope Inn. This time, we reserved a "luxury hotel room" located behind the Inn at the "Whitaker House Suites", which is still located on the property. All of the amenities were still available to us as if we were staying in the "Main Inn". The room was simply delicious! Beautifully appointed. A Gas fireplace warmed the room. In-room jacuzzi was modern in appearance as well as the rest of the rooms furnishings. A king bed did not overtake the area - the rooms are quite large and comfortable for 4 adults. A small deck off the room was a surprise as it was not mentioned upon booking. What a treat because it overlooked the mountains and when waking the next morning I made sure to have the shades drawn to take in all that beauty. The room also offered wi-fi, huge plus!
The only downfall to the room is that the Inn has not upgrading the comforters in these rooms to the down comforters offered in the Inn, but the bed was just as inviting as were the pillows-soft n' fluffy! The bath in this unit was huge. An installed blow-dryer and shower dispenser of body soap, shampoo and conditioner all available in the unit, as with the "Main Inn" unit(s).
Also note, a pedestrian tunnel is available to trail out of these units from the Whitaker House Suites. The tunnel brings you outside to the Main Inn's main entrance outdoors, as well as access to the shops n' such in town. I wished it (the tunnel) would have accessed you directly into the Main Inn Lobby. I know, I know, you can't have everything. Can you? (hehehe). Anyway with a room like this, we did not even utilize the on-site amenities like the indoor heated pool or outdoor hot tub.
The pricing per night is a somewhat high, but competitive with other accomodations in this category of lodging,. It would be beyond my budget to spend a full week, with my family in a unit offering full amenities i.e., fireplace, jacuzzi, separate bedrooms. They do accept AAA discounts if a member. I would like to suggest they offer more "Family Friendly Rates" - maybe stay 3 nights get the fourth free. Also, possibly adding a type of room service would be lovely. Maybe to offer a selection of wine by the bottle, maybe a local produce "fruit basket", or local "cheese n' bread baskets", or a "late night snack basket" for in-room delivery - keeping it simple - but to offer it would be grand.
And lastly, to extend pool/outdoor hot tub hours. It does seem to get dark early in the "whites" and us "night owls" would certainly appreciate the extended hours - maybe an "adult only pool time".
In closing, finally, I hope these views help you decide on your lodging and that the "Inn" reads and considers the above mentioned ideas. I simply would recommend you stay a night or two or three.... whatever your budget may be. You will enjoy your stay. Great for anyone looking to feel right at home, in comfortable quaint surroundings - The Eastern Slope Inn. Goodnight. Happy travelin'!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
kjgrnw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed for Feb School Vaca. We own a timeshare and used the exchange to stay at ESI. Was a bit hesitant because it being an older building, but so glad we did. We stayed in the Savard which is a two bedrm two bath condo. My two teen daughters claimed the upstairs master while my husband and I had the whole bottom floor. The girls were happy to have their privacy on their floor. The place was very clean and had every amenity you would need from home. The slider to the back deck was great I could imagine sitting out there in the warmer mornings looking at the mountains that surround the place. Conveince store across the street just in case you did forget something. We don't ski but did alot. Shops and restaurants within walking distance and outlets and more restaurants within 5 min drive. Some of the best foods we had. The flat bread which is located inside the resort was one of the best pizzas I've had. Be sure to make reservations because the place was packed every night we were there. We did cook some meals at condo which was fine. If I did have any complaints it would be the downstairs bed was a bit too hard for my back and walls are thin you could hear people going up and downstairs in condo next door. I would most definetly stay at ESI in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
nh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

My friend and our 2 boys went to visit N Conway this vacation week and we verfied everything with hotel and my friends family had the time share for many many years and all payments were made in advance and we were told it was all set for our stay. Being we called a few times to make sure we were all set because we were on a tight budget and wanted to verify a few things. Upon our arrival they told my friend she needed to pay a cleaning fee of $36 after the fact we had already paid for room up front. Then also said we needed to put a credit card down for any possible damages. Which was fine but we were unprepared for any extra charges. So those things should be told to customers upon booking rooms especailly in these times where $ is tight for some... What hotel charges a cleaning fee? especially with a time share the fees paid and taxes alone should cover that. All hotels offer cleaning as part of the price. The best part is the next day we went out at the mountains all day and the room was never cleaned ;0) We called the front desk to get clean towels and in these exact words after my friend asked if we could get clean towels they said "Don't you have a washer and dryer" instead of nicely explaining that we need to make sure we wash our towels if we want clean ones. We ran into a few siatuations like that where things were not clearly explained up front and getting attitudes from staff as if we made no sense in asking for a clean towel. I even called to ask how to turn the fireplace on and got a "well there is a sign over the thermostat if you turn it up it will turn on"
I would expect on vacation you would not need to make your beds and wash your towels especailly in a nice place like this ..That's why we pay for hotels to not have to always do all these things we do at home. And also expect staff to treat everyone nicely with a little respect and not be so rough around the edges..... Anyway, so it turns out they never clean your room you are actually paying for them to clean it after you leave...HELLO is this the job of a hotel to clean the rooms for the next visitor.??? I understand we had a washer and dryer but , to not offer clean bedding and towels is a little ridiculous. The machines are there as an amenity if we want to use them, not that we should have too
On another note beside the sny comments from staff The rooms are beautiful and the big tubs are nice. The late hours of the pool are a plus and having kitchens is nice as well so you do not have to go out to eat everytime. Great views as well.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kikinh
NHAMSCO, Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
‘Kikinh’ booked their room through Resort Condominiums International (RCI), not directly with the hotel. RCI does notify our guests booking with them of the additional housekeeping fees (referenced by this guest as a cleaning fee) as well as the request for a credit card authorization for security purposes at the time of booking. In addition this information is referenced in writing on the confirmation this guest would have received from RCI prior to arrival.

The credit card taken upon check-in is for a security deposit. It is standard policy at most hotels to put a credit card on file for any incidental charges above and beyond the room charges.

Transient reservations booked through our hotel include the cleaning and daily housekeeping fees. The type of room this guest stayed in is a vacation ownership exchange through the exchange company RCI. The cost for this exchange is a fraction of the cost of a traditional rental in part because it does not include daily housekeeping. Most guests familiar with vacation ownership are aware of this and do not expect daily housekeeping.

The minimal exchange fee paid by this guest for their stay was paid directly to RCI. The only revenue the resort receives is the housekeeping fee paid to cover the cost of the additional cleaning that is incurred when an RCI guest books a partial week.

All RCI units, which have a washer and dryer, are considered self contained and therefore do not get any housekeeping service during their stay. The resort does supply laundry soap free of charge for our guests to use for the purpose of washing towels if they need them. In addition, if a guest is coming by the front desk and would like to pick up some clean towels to bring back to their room, we will get them free of charge.

I am sorry this guest did not enjoy their stay with us. It is possible that this owner is fairly new to traveling through RCI. The benefits to vacation ownership are many, including reduced rates on rooms, however there are some differences when compared to traditional hotel rentals, one of which is the frequency of housekeeping.

As the manager at the resort, I always recommend when traveling with RCI to take advantage of the 24-hour hold option to contact the resort you are booking. Use this opportunity to ask any questions you may have to get the best information regarding the policies and procedures of that resort - as they do vary even from one Vacation Ownership Resort to the other.

As far as the response from the front desk team - our guest service agents have often been recognized as going above and beyond to address the needs of our guests. I feel that the response from the team may have been misquoted and taken more in a negative light since this guests was coming from the perspective of already not having had their expectations met in regards to the information they felt they received from RCI prior to their arrival. Since this guest did enjoy our rooms, the amenities and the area I am hoping they will come back to give us a second chance in the near future.
Blackstone, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

The Inn:
My girlfriend and I made our second trip to North Conway this year and choose to stay at the Eastern Slope Inn again over all our options with RCI. We loved it the first time and were equally as happy the second time. This is a great place for families or couples. Our first stay in 2008 was in the recently developed Whitaker Suites and that didnt let down at all. Everything was up to date and very clean. Plenty of privacy and good sized rooms. Our most recent stay we were upset to find out we didnt get a room in the Whitaker Suites and that we would be staying in the Savard House...but it turned out great. The Savard House was a smaller buidling located in the back of the property and only had a few units in it making it for a very private and quiet stay. The room wasnt as up to date after being spoiled by the new Whitaker Building but was very clean and well maintained. The service at the front desk and from the maintenance people was excellent. We will continue to go back here for one of our yearly winter getaways.

The area:
My girlfriend and I both snowboard and agree this is a must stay for people looking to get in the perfect location between all the winter activities that the area has to offer. Just 30 minutes away is BrettonWoods Ski Resort which is a great mountain and offers some of the most amazing views (Mt. Washington) on the drive there and back. Cranmore is located 5 minutes away, Attitash about 10 minutes and another mountain we love is King Pine about 25 minutes away. Nestlenook farms is about 15 minutes away and is a great place. The horse sleigh rides are priced great and can be paired with ice skating on a huge pond...makes for a romantic day. Theres so much the area has to offer and has just about every activity or need to be fufilled.

• Liked — Great service, great rooms, great location.
  • Disliked — having to check out and go back home
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

We just got back from a week-long stay at the Eastern Slope Inn, and had a great time! We booked a studio room through RCI's last minute deals. Our room was in the Carriage House Suites, which is directly behind the main Inn. The room was very spacious... a few things to note about the room:

The first day we got there, there was definitely a strange smell... I think it was the cleaning solution they used for the carpet/couch upholstery or something. It aired out fine, but was a little irritating for the first night.

The bed was a queen sized murphy bed; not the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, but not the worst either. Definitely didn't have any trouble sleeping in every morning! We never pulled out the sofa bed, so I can't really comment on that.

There is a gas fireplace in the room; however, the fireplace is the heating source for the room, and only comes on when it senses that the temp is below the thermostat setting. It did a good job of heating the room, but you can't just relax with the fireplace on; once the temperature in the room hits the thermostat setting, the flames go out.

There is a very large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom (this was also the shower); nice for those who want to soak, but might make it difficult for people who can't step up very high to get into the shower.

There was a small kitchen area with a dishwasher, refrigerator, two burner stove, and microwave. We ate out just about every day, so we didn't really take advantage of this.

The hotel also had a nice indoor pool and jetted jacuzzi, as well as an outdoor jacuzzi that was more of a soaking tub. All were very clean and nice and warm, nice to soak in after a day of outdoor activities.

The location of the hotel is great! We spent the week xc skiing and showshoeing. There is a great xc ski area across the street, and a state park right down the road as well with great views of two rock/ice climbing ledges. It is only 20-30 mins to Great Glen trail area, which is also the base of the Mount Washington Auto road. The inn is a very convenient walk to many restaurants and shops in the village, and the outlet shopping is only 5 mins away. There were also quite a few ski areas within a 30 min. radius (we are not big downhill skiers, so we didn't explore these on our trip).

Overall, we had a great trip and would not hesitate to come back to the Eastern Slope Inn!

• Liked — location, close to shopping, restaurants, and outdoor activities
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cse314
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2008

ESI is a timeshare/hotel that has gotten mixed reviews. We are here as I write this. Staff has been very helpful and friendly. We booked 2 separate rooms because there were no 2 bd available at time. Asked for upgrade and got a 2b/2ba unit in the Robert building across from the main hotel. I had heard that there were issues here but the unit was clean and had more than enough amenities.
It is a basically a 2bed lockout with the 1 bedroom having a full kitchen and washer/dryer and the 2nd being a studio with a mini kitchen.

It is not "luxurious" but is very comfortable with plenty of room for 4 people.

The front desk has board games as well as a game room with ping pong, pool, etc. There is also an indoor pool and outdoor heated jacuzzi. This is an older building on the Nat'l Register so don't expect brand new and fancy. There are many different rooms so it is important to ask about what is or is not in the room. I must say that we were a little worried as we usually stayed in very nice condos on our ski vacation but we are extremely pleased with everything about Eastern Slope.

• Liked — room was very nice and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank neslaw1
RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

This is a review about the Suites at Eastern Slope Inn and the Whittaker House to be specific. We booked a studio through RCI.

Check-In was a smooth process once we found a parking space in the front lot. We received our room assignment and the normal packet of local information, etc. For those who have commented on the elevator in the main building - it is currently being completely replaced.

We drove back to our unit in the Whittaker portion of the property. Upon entering the room we were impressed with the size of this studio unit. The room was freezing cold so first thing we did was locate the thermostat. We then discovered the room was heated by a gas fireplace. Unfortunately, the resort does not have digital thermostats so finding an exact comfort level proved to be almost impossible throughout our 3-day stay. Also, in the middle of the night the fireplace would kick on and by kick on I mean "explode" on causing me, a normally very heavy sleeper, to awake each time.

The bathroom was a good size and had no real complaints with anything in there. The floor and shower tile look like recent upgrades while the lighting fixtures look to be originals.

The kitchen area was large complete with a 6-person table, refrigerator, two-burner stove top, microwave/convection oven, coffee pot, tea pot, and dishwasher. We ate out but if we were there for an entire week likely would have spent some time at the kitchen table!

The bed (a queen size Murphy) is not very comfortable at all. The fitted sheet pops off the top corners every 30 minutes. The pillows are comfortable and plentiful (in the closet near the bathroom). We did not try the pull out sofa as this was only a two-night stay.

In the main lobby they have binders of restaurant menus which came in handy for us. The resort documentation also said they have lists for hiking, waterfalls, etc. but since it rained the entire time we did very little hiking.

I would definitely stay here again but would shoot for at least a one-bedroom to get a real bed. Also, I hope the resort upgrades the thermostats to digital to help its guests try to find a nice comfort level instead of the generic, "old school" thermostats currently in place.

• Liked — the overall atmosphere of the resort
  • Disliked — the murphy bed and loud fire place
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple