“Do not stay here! It is disgusting!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eastern Slope Inn

Eastern Slope Inn
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in North Conway
Fort Collins, CO
“Do not stay here! It is disgusting!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

I am so disappointed with this resort to the point of absolute outrage. This place was VERY expensive so I had high expectations and they were not met in the least. I have had better stays at Motel 6. It started with the internet directions being wrong/hard to follow. When I finally got there the Resort looked nothing like in the pictures. The pictures were definitely taken YEARS ago because the place has become very run down since then. The girl who checked me in was on a personal call when I came in and ignored me for close to 10 minutes before finally asking me "do you want anything?" Why yes, young lady, I want to give you money for goods and services. Do you see how that works? Check in went very slowly but finally we were off to see our room. When we got to the door the lock was broken and we had to return to the desk to ask for help and the clerk was on the phone again chatting apparently chatting with her boyfriend/husband. The maintenance man happened to be standing by and he assisted me. After he fixed the door handle we had no problems getting in after that. Upon entering the room we were disgusted by the hideous and outdated decor. it was a nonsmoking room but there was a large very noticeable burn hole in one of the comforters and the room had a strange odor, not quite like smoke, but more like mothballs. There was trash in the trash can. There was no remote for the television. There were only two towels in the room and they were ratty and rough and weren't white at all. They obviously had not been replaced in YEARS. There were stains all over the ceiling from water damage and visible mold. The carpets were filthy as well. When I lifted the toilet lid there was a bowel movement still floating in the toilet!! I was shocked and appalled. When I called the desk to inform them of our problems the phone rang and rang with no answer. We decided to go about our day of tourism and let them know of our problems later when someone more attentive would hopefully be on shift. We returned that evening and the woman at the desk would not change our room even though we had not touched a thing in this room. She did give us a remote control for the tv, which was nice. We were told we could speak to the manager the following morning. That night we were very itchy in bed and after a while of itching we turned the lights on and discovered bed bugs! I slept that night across the room in a chair. The next morning the manager was not in as promised. We cut our stay short and left that first morning. Later that week I tried calling back to speak to a manager and again there was none in. The next day, still not in. I have left messages to call back and have received no calls! Save your money and stay elsewhere.

• Liked — The view from my rearview window as it got smaller and smaller
  • Disliked — Everything was equally horrible, but it's the bugs i'll have nightmares about for years to come
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jason350
NHAMSCO, Front Desk Manager at Eastern Slope Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2008
We are sorry Jason350 did not enjoy his stay in North Conway. As the manager
of the Front Desk at Eastern Slope Inn, I feel that this review is not an
accurate portrayal of our resort, or of our team of Guest Service Agents.

Our team at the resort strives for excellence and has been recognized on
trip advisor as well as on other hotel rating sites for our response to
guest's issues or concerns. We have a team of two or more guest service
agents on every shift, so a guest checking into our resort would never wait
10 minutes to be checked in. Our guest service agents are very professional
and use break times not company time to address personal issues.

We have a member of the management team on almost every shift between the
hours of 8am and 11pm. On the rare occasion where a member of the
management team is not at the desk, our team of GSA are available to problem
solve and offer solutions and know that if need be, a member of management
can always be reached by phone. In addition, we never go more than 24 hours
without a manager at the desk.

Our rooms are cleaned by a well-trained team of housekeepers and inspected
prior to our guest's arrival to ensure the level of cleanliness our resorts
guests expect. Although the Inn is a historic building on the national
historic registry, we are constantly updating and improving on our rooms
including a recent upgrade of all our beds in the Main Inn and our Randall
House building to queen pillow top beds with plush white comforters. If
this guest were here at our Inn in August, they would have been sleeping on
a bed that was less than 3 months old, under brand new white linens.

Again, I am truly sorry that a visitor to our valley did not enjoy their
stay at one of our area establishments, however based on some of the
comments made, I feel it is highly likely that this comment was incorrectly
entered under the Eastern Slope Inn Resort.

We have tried to contact this contributor through Trip Advisor and have not had any luck with them responding - we would certainly go out of our way to address these types of allegations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

The hotel staff is great. Very friendly and helpful.
The main building is very old and the elevator is slooooooooow beyond belief! Be prepared to climb stairs.
We had a king size bed and it was wonderful. Top of the line linens. I didn't have a Murphy Bed, I heard those were awful.
The room furnishings are old and the chairs and carpets are stained.
The pool and hot tub where disappointing. The hot tub jets don't work and the pool is dirty and full of screaming kids.

• Liked — The comfy bed and the large rooms
  • Disliked — pool and hot tub
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bkrite
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

We stayed at The Suites at the Eastern Slope Inn that is considered a Gold Crown Resort by RCI. The Studio room was perfect for me and my 3 kids. We used this as a base for site seeing in the area.

Pros: Washer and Dryer in the room. Didn't know is was there or I would have packed lighter. Two burner glass range top, dishwasher, appartment size fridge. Very clean. Walking distance to the village and Conway Senic Railroad. Horsefeathers restaurant was great and had a good kids menu.

Cons: Unsupervised kids in the pool.

Hotel staff was pleasent, only talked to them at check-in and check-out.

• Liked — Washer and Dryer
  • Disliked — Unsurpervised children in the pool and hot tub
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank castle512
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

I was so disappointed I wanted to check out right away, but they refused to refund the cost of the three nights stay. We paid an outrageous price to stay in a place that was very dirty, smelled disgusting upon entering, had an air conditioner that made so much noise I got up to shut it off about 3:00 AM only to find it spitting out ice from the blower. Did I mention the early 1970's and never renovated decor? Don't spend your money there!

• Liked — in-town location
  • Disliked — room and staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank krc2020
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2008

My wife, my daughter and myself booked into the ESI through the RCI organisation in South Africa. We met friends there and for the 5 of us we were given 3 interleading rooms in the main hotel building, all with bathrooms and kitchens. We were very comfortble and enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and olde world charm of the place and the staff, who couldn't do enough for us. Whilst 2 of us skied at nearby Mt. Cranmore the girls explored the village on foot. They found some really great little boutique shops, warm and friendly coffee shops and great restaurants.
We all relaxed in the comfortable and lay-back atmosphere, ate well and exercised all we wanted to. We can recommend the ESI to families looking for a comfortable and convenient location with a warm and friendly feel to it. The Flatbread shop on the premises should not be missed for the tastiest organic pizzas in town.
Accomodation - 3 Stars, but clean and very adaquate.
Atmosphere and Convenience - 5 Stars.
John

• Liked — 3 large interleading rooms all with kitchens and bathrooms - clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing - we found everthing to be fine to good.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JBenno44
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

My husband and I and my 8 year old daughter stayed here for spring recess week. It was very nice, not too crowded for this time of year. We stayed in the Moat Cottage (B) which was well maintained and fully stocked, and also had a nice jacuzzi. The staff was very friendly and informative. The area has a few attractions 2 of which were'nt open yet for the season ( Storyland & Santa's Village) which was a little disappointing because we wanted to bring our daughter to them. The scenic train ride did open the weekend before we left so we got to do that, it was ok. The mountains are so beautiful. We had a great time and will definately return to this resort.

• Liked — the spacious cottage
  • Disliked — gym was too small
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2008

We stayed at the Eastern Slope Inn from March 14th through the 18th. We were in an RCI unit with my parents. All in all, there were 6 of us, 4 adults and two children. We had 3 connecting rooms right above the lobby and it worked out perfectly! The middle room had the kitchenette, which was full stocked with all you could need, a murphy bed, couch, dining table and TV, as well as a bathroom. The other two rooms were standard hotel type rooms. Our rooms were clean, updated and very nice. We had 2 small issues that were resolved immediately. First there were 2 nails coming up in the trim on the floor in the kitchenette, we called the Front desk and it was taken care of within minutes. Then one morning a fuse tripped in the middle room..it was fixed, no biggie.

The staff was extremely helpful and ALWAYS very friendly. We had dinner in the Flatbread Company one night, dessert another. The kids and I spent some time in the pool one night. It was warm, clean and fine for what it is...a hotel pool. It was heavily chlorinated, but that's to be expected in my opinion. My older son and I used the indoor hot tub AND the outdoor hot tub for a few minutes that night too. The game room was ok and had a ping pong table, pool table and a few games. The laundry facilities were adequate, we used them one night.

The downside...one of our rooms was directly over the lobby door, meaning we heard it open and close a lot. Two of our other rooms had to hear a lot of "hotel" noise with people in the halls, etc. The one elevator is ANCIENT. It works fine, we used it quite a few times, but boy is it old and a little freaky.

Over all, I'd highly recommend this hotel. It is centrally located, making it perfect for families! We would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — location and friendly staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family