“Loved this hotel!”
Review of Eastern Slope Inn

Eastern Slope Inn
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed March 21, 2008

We stayed at the Eastern Slope Inn from March 14th through the 18th. We were in an RCI unit with my parents. All in all, there were 6 of us, 4 adults and two children. We had 3 connecting rooms right above the lobby and it worked out perfectly! The middle room had the kitchenette, which was full stocked with all you could need, a murphy bed, couch, dining table and TV, as well as a bathroom. The other two rooms were standard hotel type rooms. Our rooms were clean, updated and very nice. We had 2 small issues that were resolved immediately. First there were 2 nails coming up in the trim on the floor in the kitchenette, we called the Front desk and it was taken care of within minutes. Then one morning a fuse tripped in the middle room..it was fixed, no biggie.

The staff was extremely helpful and ALWAYS very friendly. We had dinner in the Flatbread Company one night, dessert another. The kids and I spent some time in the pool one night. It was warm, clean and fine for what it is...a hotel pool. It was heavily chlorinated, but that's to be expected in my opinion. My older son and I used the indoor hot tub AND the outdoor hot tub for a few minutes that night too. The game room was ok and had a ping pong table, pool table and a few games. The laundry facilities were adequate, we used them one night.

The downside...one of our rooms was directly over the lobby door, meaning we heard it open and close a lot. Two of our other rooms had to hear a lot of "hotel" noise with people in the halls, etc. The one elevator is ANCIENT. It works fine, we used it quite a few times, but boy is it old and a little freaky.

Over all, I'd highly recommend this hotel. It is centrally located, making it perfect for families! We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank eh24fan

Reviewed March 14, 2008

Bought a week at Eastern Slope Inn from a friend who owns the week in "vacation ownership." She was unable to use it, so we decided to give it a try in spite of some of the awful reviews. I am glad we did. It was wonderful!!! We had 3 units (one down and 2 up) which had microwaves in all and small regrig's and a 2 burner cook top. The down unit had a washer and dryer in the room. The carpets were clean and fresh. There was a vacuume in the walls which once we figured out, we used when a bag of popcorn tipped over. Downstairs had a murphy bed and a pull out couch. I wish there had been a regular bed, as my 90 year old mother who travled with us, would have been more comfortable in a "real bed" as the murphy bed was a little low. Upstairs were regular beds (I believe queen or maybe king) and pull out couches. There were gas fireplaces in both areas and the tub had spa jets to aid in relaxation. Unfortunately, my Mom couldn't use the pool, as the hallways were too narrow for her walker and to walk around the building was just too much, but we enjoyed the pool very much while she read in the room. The people at the front desk were wonderful and helpful beyond what a hotel usually is..... Eating places close by and good food and great prices, too. Outside grills available, but none were working on the day we wanted to use them, in spite of working the day before (oh well.....adjust, people!) so we cooked in the room and reported the unworking grills. Train station very near by and trains run all day long past the site. Kind of neat, as you wave at the folks and they wave back. All in all, a great spot. If they'd fix the handicapped access to the pool, I'd consider buying there, but at least will visit again. Not every person can be pleased all the time. Read the reviews with a grain of salt.... The management was VERY helpful and if someone happens to damage something before you arrive, just tell them. New blankets or cleaned rooms will happen if you give them the chance.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank kubotafoot
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Honestly, don't stay here. It is so gross. We stayed one night and checked out early to change to another hotel. When I told the staff we were checking out, they didn't even care! In fact, they told me they were charging us for that nights stay, even though we checked out 1 HOUR after check-out time. It wasn't JUST us...it was also another couple we were staying with.

The sheets didn't fit the bed so you would wake up sleeping on a nasty old mattress (if you even slept), the bathroom sink would not drain (I called and they never serviced it), the kitchen was NASTY - there was a tea kettle and a toaster from 1970, there was some moldy gross situation on the floor moulding in the kitchen. There was mold and mildew growing in the shower. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in, it was concave with springs and at least 20 years old...our other friends got only a murphy bed that pulls out of the wall.

There was NO parking. The pool had so much chlorine you couldn't stay in it because your eyes would burn so much. You couldn't sit in the jacuzzi because it was WAY TOO HOT. The staff was rude...for example, we showed up at 3:45pm and asked if we could check-in early (check in was 4pm) and she said "absolutely not." Oh, and the bar closes at 10pm. Our friends room was soooooo much worse than ours. They had green sheets...you can't bleach green sheets, get it? The fire sprinklers had what appeared to be hair, dust and mold growing from it...I can't explain it except to say that it was HANGING at least an inch down from the sprinkler...it was so disgusting.

We call it the Eastern Slum Inn Resort and when we moved, we went to the Hampton Inn down the street and THANK GOD they had 2 rooms available.

This is the single worst hell-hole I have ever stayed in and it will ruin your vacation if you are planning to relax in a happy clean place. I sprayed Lysol on everything I own when I got home, including the bottom of my suitcases, it was THAT BAD.

GROSS!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank anniepbythesea
Reviewed February 12, 2008

The hotel looks beautiful from the outside but the hotel inside is a whole different story. Carpets are old and musty. Our room was tiny with a horrible pull out bed with the hardest mattress I have ever slept on in my life. When we woke up we could bearly walk never mind go skiing. The only good thing about this inn is the attached restaurant/bar. Have a few drinks so you don't know what you've got yourself into.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
11  Thank JoyceB222
Reviewed January 1, 2008

When booking a timeshare in September for a last minute trip to Finland, and without really intending to go anywhere over Christmas, our booking agent told me of availability at the Eastern Slope Inn over the Christmas holidays. We booked 2 small units (said to be the last rooms available) without ever having been to New Hampshire and without knowing anything about the Inn. I later became somewhat concerned after reading mixed reviews of the property, especially those which found the rooms to be unclean.

Fortunately, we had a very positive experience.

While both of our rooms were quite small, they were each clean and comfortable. Our view was of the back of the property, and therefore not impressive, but not bad either. The electric heater kept the room very warm, at times too warm, until we figured out the proper thermostat setting.

The room was obviously older, and the beds small (they were murphy beds which fold out from the wall...one a very small twin bed and the other a double bed which, itself, was more suitable for one person than two. Our second room had a single, double sized murphy bed which was a bit crowded for our two grown daughters). The mattresses were thankfully firm and comfortable, which besides cleanliness, to me is one of the most important considerations.

The bathroom was of adequate size and clean. Our room came with an adequately sized closet, but except for the kitchenette, no other storage space.

Our room came with cable tv, a small stove (no oven) a microwave, sink, and small refrigerator. Larger rooms come with more amenities. Though we traded weeks from another time share we own for our stay at the Eastern Slope Inn, a list of prices showed the Inn to be reasonably priced. All rooms were booked at the time of our visit, but none of the common areas seemed crowded at any time and we never had trouble obtaining service or talking to the staff.

The property itself appeared to be well maintained, and with a very friendly, helpful staff.

The lobby was furnished with a number of couches in front of a warm and inviting fireplace. The pool was large, uncrowded and heated. There were two hot tubs. One was in the pool itself and was heated to about 104 degrees (quite hot and relaxing). The other was just outside and a bit cooler, heated to about 102 or 103 degrees. For my taste, I would have preferred the outside tub to be a bit hotter, and the inside one a bit cooler, but both were enjoyable and relaxing. The only bad thing about the pool was with the amount of chlorine used, probably because of heavy use and the fact that it was heated.

A coffee shop is located on site, which was a plus for a caffeine addict like myself, though it closed at 5:00pm. While the restaurant on-site had a limited menu, the food was quite good (flat bread pizza). I was disappointed that both werre closed on Christmas day, leaving us with a choice of 2 Thai and 1 Chineese restaurant still open on Chirstmas day. Given that our restaurant was located in a resort hotel, I felt it should have been open even on Christmas day.

North Conway is a beautiful little town with small local shops and outlet stores close to the Inn. Many choices for ski locations, some within a few minutes drive, and others from 10 to 45 minute drive from the Inn. A ski shop for purchases is located in the lobby, with rental stores across the street or within walking distance. Prices, in my limited experience, were reasonable.

We flew into Manchester and then rented a car for about a 2 hour drive to North Conway. We flew from Florida to New Hampshire on Southwest Airways, and even with last minute booking over the Christmas holidays, we paid a very reasonable price for our tickets.

Except for Christmas day, grocery stores (for cooking in the room) and many good restaurants were located near to our hotel.

In past years our family had gone to Colorado for skiing. While NH has more ice than the Colorado slopes, and slopes themselves in NH are generally not as long, the skiing was still excellent and the slopes were never too crowded. In general, the resorts and restaruants in Colorado are more "luxury class" while those in New Hampshire were more of what might be described as "middle class" destinations. I found the Eastern Inn to be more relaxing and enjoyable (and certainly more economical) than those I'm familiar with in Colorado, but those accustomed large, modern rooms with all the extra toys that come with 4 and 5 star resorts may not agree.

Most of all, our cost in going to New Hampshire was a fraction of the cost of going to Colorado, with everything including airline tickets, meals, ski rental, lift tickets and hotels going for a fraction of what it would cost in almost any of the resorts out west. For us, traveling to New Hampshire was also quite a bit easier than traveling to resorts in the Rocky Mountains.

We plan to travel to and stay in the Eastern Slope Inn at a future date, and we found this too be an enjoyable and relaxing experience.

Allen Seaman
West Palm Beach, Fl

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank LoveToTravel413
Reviewed September 14, 2007

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the EasternSlope Inn in North conway last week. It was an excellent location from which to take advantage of the many wonderful outdoor offerings in the area. There are beautiful hiking trails (such as those at Diana Falls ) and great kayaking minutes from the inn. Restaurants, shops, and a wonderful coffee shop (Metro) are all an easy walk.
The inn itself is a stately old inn that also functions as a timeshare, with many modern suites/units. We stayed in one of the latter, and found it to be cosy and well-tended, but like many timeshares, a bit uninspired in the decor and design. A strange characteristic to the layout, is the fact that these particular units are separated from the main inn by a tunnel out back of the hotel (repleat with piped-in sounds of tropical bird calls and posters for another timeshare establishment.) The tunnel is lit, but the parking lot to the tunnel is not. The access to this building just seems poorly thought out.
Another strange feature to the inn, is the restaurant in the inn. One would think there would be the usual New England style eatery in an old country inn, but no--it's a pizza place, well "flatbread" actually. I was disappointed at first, but let me tell you, after a day spent hiking, a couple of pints of the wonderful local brew, and the most delicious pizza I have ever had, really were just the thing! Just be sure to grab a couch or easy chair, the barstools and dining chairs are the most uncomfortable planks to set yourself down on imaginable.
All in all, I highly recommend a stay here when visiting this stunning part of the country.

3  Thank carrieaud
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We spent a week up in the White Mountains at The Eastern Slope Inn. We had a studio in the Whitaker building. The studio was large and gave alot of room for our family of two adults and two children. It even seemed more spacious because the room has a king size murphy bed which is hidden most of the time in its up position and the couch which folds out into another bed.
In addition, there was a gas fireplace which is the only means of heating the room in the winter.

We also enjoyed the fact that it had a full kitchen (excluding a stove) and a washer/dryer. We saved a lot of money by purchasing some groceries so we could enjoy breakfast in the room.

There was a large bathroom that included a substantial whirlpool tub.

I am surprised at people complaining about the cleanliness of the rooms. Our room was immaculate and the Whitaker buidling was new as was the furniture and appliances. It was better than we expected.

The hotel has an indoor pool which which took advantage of several times and was never crowded. Which was only a short walk from the Whitaker building. There were a number of other on-site amenities including the EMS climbing school (for those interested in learning mountain and rock climbing), a playhouse, they had movies most nights, tennis courts and the Flatbread Company restaurant.

We were very pleased with our stay and would stay again.

We especially loved the central location of the hotel which was a short walk to all the downtown restaurants, shops and Conway Scenic Railroad. If you have kids you are only a 10-15 minute ride to StoryLand and about an hour to Santa's Village.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family