“fantastic”

White Mountain Hotel and Resort
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in North Conway
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Went for a week in July and loved it; we plan to go again in September.The hotel is remote in a quite and upscale area and yet close to everything. We descovered that some of the hiking trails were within walking distance from the hotel and that was nice.The rooms have old furnishing but clean and practical. The restaurant is very good and the staff nice and helpful. The only suggestion I have is a transportation van for guests who don't want to drive to the nearby towns just like some of the ski areas hotels have.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

We have been visiting the North Conway area for over 10 years. For the past eight years we have stayed at the White Mountain Hotel and Resort. We keep returning there as it is very clean, comfortable and well located. Our rooms have always been clean day and night. The staff has been wonderful. Whether it is a last minute decision to head to the mountains or a long planned vacation they have met are needs with professionalism...even going the extra yard to meet our requests. The front desk staff of Jean and Mike and others make it work for us...no matter when we call. Upon arrival it is like visiting friends. They are kind, courteous and friendly. Kim always takes the time to say hello and catch up on news. The wait staff goes out of their way to provide excellent service. The food is always delicious. It is nice to have a good meal and terrific views of the mountains. What more can you ask for on a short or long vacation. In our book this hotel rates a five star...on our five star rating.

Madeline and Bob

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
carolcranmore, Director of Sales at White Mountain Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Thank you again for your positive feedback. I can't remember a summer with better weather and it continues today. Glad you got to spend some time with us this summer! My parents are from Dighton and I still have family in Assonet! See you soon. Carol Sullivan

Reviewed July 25, 2010

I laughed at the prior review after having stayed here. Food sickness & a hot room do not = a 1 or 2 star rating. This is your classic 4 star hotel. I too stayed in a 250.00 per night room and it easily held my wife and I in our queen bed, my 13 year old in the other queen bed and the 11 year old on the pull out sofa. The pool was really nice with a nice lawn to read a book on. The food, while not cheap, was really good. They had a great seafood buffet on friday night and the brunch sunday morning was awesome. The staff was knowledgable and were able to answer any questions we had. Great hiking and cycling nearby. If you are a climber, then this is THE place to stay as Whitehorse ledge is 100 yards behind the hotel. I was told the golf is really good also.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank palmer77
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My spouse and I stayed at White Mountain for two nights as part of a much longer holiday on July 13th. I had booked the room far in advance to reserve the Mount Washington Suite and was looking forward to staying at this property based on other Tripadvisor reviews and the views of the mountains from the hotel. The views are amazing. The property itself has a certain country club charm and the grounds are really quite lovely.

The room, however, was a disappointment. The Mount Washington Suite is a very large room on the third floor with panoramic views of the mountains and forest. When we arrived, the room was hot and stuffy (the a/c had not been turned on in advance of our arrival as is the case in most hotels). This left an immediate sour taste in my mouth, but I decided to overlook it and just turned on the a/c unit and waited for the room to cool while we went into North Conway to shop for the day. It is also important for me to point out that the hallways were not air conditioned either.

We returned from shopping and went to dinner at Ledges, the restaurant in the hotel. The food was delicious and a very good value. Our server was pleasant and knowledgeable about the area. The irritating part of our dinner was that we were asked for ID when we ordered cocktails with our meal. We had to return to our room and get our wallets to show our driver's licenses. Now this would be a flattering and funny story to tell (we are 29 and 35) but the novelty quickly wore off when we were asked for ID each time we dined at this restaurant. Good thing we brought our wallets with us on the other occasions. This made me feel uncomfortable and that my business was not wanted or required. Now this resort is a magnet for the retired set, but you can't tell me that we look under 21, even by comparison to the other guests. I was insulted. Not even the amazing crab cakes, which really were the best I've ever had, could make up for this slight.

My other major issue with this resort is the generally shabby state of our suite. Now we selected this room expecting a certain level of comfort and amenities within. The footboard posts of the four poster bed were wobbly and cheap, the furniture dated, the bed uncomfortable and the worst of all, the FLOOR was NOT properly anchored causing everything in the middle of the room to shake when you walked around in the room or anyone was walking in the rooms that shared walls with yours. This was extremely annoying. The bed SHOOK every single time someone was walking about. This made it very difficult to sleep. Also, the lawn maintenance started very early in the morning. We were not pleased to be woken up by grass cutting on our holiday.

If we were staying in this room on some wicked steal of a rate, I wouldn't be nearly as irritated as I am. We paid around 250 per night for this room. When I pay this type of rate I expect that at the VERY least, the floor and room is properly constructed and the bed is of a certain quality. I received neither.

The straw that broke the camel's back with our stay here was the food poisoning that I received after eating the western omelette for breakfast just prior to our departure. I couldn't finish my breakfast as something immediately tasted off. I brushed it off as perhaps not being as hungry as I thought. Very soon after departing, I quickly realized that I got an order of food poisoning with my omelette and spent the 12 hour drive to Nova Scotia frequently stopping at gas stations and rest stops to vomit.

Based on the age-discrimination, food poisoning and terrible quality of these rooms, we will not stay at this property again. This is truly a shame as the location and grounds are really quite stunning.

2  Thank JellybeanandBug
carolcranmore, Manager at White Mountain Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, and we appreciate your comments and feeback. It is the feedback from our valued customers that allows us to constantly improve our services. I wanted to address the reason why you were asked for your ID on several occasions when ordering drinks in Ledges dining room and the Tullamore Tavern. New Hampshire has very strick liquor and licensing laws and our staff is obligated to follow these laws and guidelines. Our policy, as directed by the State of NH, is that any individual who appears to be under the age of 30 must present an ID for service. Our staff was following policy, as required by the State of NH. I am sorry if this was inconvenient, as it certainly was not meant to be. Thank you again for your feedback, and we certainly hope that if you return to the
White Mountains in the future, you give us another opportunity to not only meet, but exceed your expections. Regards, Carol Sullivan

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Clean well maintained hotel near Story Land, Conway Scenic Railway, and outlets.
Food in dining room was tasty and reasonably priced. The wait staff was very accommodating in dealing with our group of nine children and six parents.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
carolcranmore, Manager at White Mountain Hotel and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding our property, and I am happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Our new program with Storyland packaging seems to be very popular and we are happy we can provide this service to our guests. Hope to see you again. Regards,
Carol Sullivan

Reviewed July 9, 2010

I've never taken the time to write a review, but wanted to make sure I share my opinion. The staff are genuinely friendly and helpful, the hotel is beautiful and set in an incredible location. The BEST value for your money, it's just perfect!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. We pride ourselves in our outstanding service and I am pleased to see that we exceeded your expectations. Regards, Carol Sullivan

Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed here over 4th of July in a Suite with my mom and my 10year old son. This was our second stay and we will stay again. I love the location for being close to North Conway but the hotel is in a nice quiet location off the beaten path.My mom really likes the food and decor of the restaurant. The suite that we stayed in was very clean and spacious and had a great view of the mountains and pool. My son really loved the pool and spent alot of time swimming. I got the feeling from talking to other guests that they get alot of repeat business.We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family