“A different Kind of Eating Adventure”
Review of The Old Courthouse

The Old Courthouse
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just had a lovely luncheon date at this restaurant. I wasn't impressed with the service at first, but once our server could, she paid attention to our needs and, we found out later, was the baker for the establishment, which she did admirably. The wine list was limited, but had excellent choices (for those offered). It's a little pricey, but with servings that were filling but not overpowering, it's worth the extra cost. I did not have the highly recommended (by friends who visit there each time they come up from Connecticut) pot roast dinner, so I'm looking forward to another visit to sample that ware. Very different decor and layout, since it really is the old courthouse for Newport. A quaint and quirky place with good wines and food and wonderful desserts.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Someone in the kitchen is going a little loopy with the squeeze bottle. The food is yummy, no reason to overdress the plates with sparkly gels. Scallops were great, I ate every bite, and the cheddar apple tart was good as well. There were four four tops on a Friday night and it seemed a little sadly quiet...or perfect for those of us who are serial eavesdroppers, or who like to eat without distractions. The service was fairly attentive and the server was very nice.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The food here is great unless you have a special diet there could be a snag if you don't tell them in advance. The brunch is the best!!!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We haven't been to the area in three years and I feared perhaps they were not as good as I remembered. I was thrilled to find that they still maintain their quality and excellence. I had called ahead to ask for shrimp cocktails because it was our 40th anniversary and this time they were not on the menu, and they kindly obliged! The shrimp bisque was a special and it was absolutely delicious and most definitely the best bisque we have ever had! I had the lamb and my husband had the filet mignon and both meals were perfect! I was surprised at the corn on the cob still being available so late in the season and that and the carrots and potatoes were perfect too. The service was excellent also and once again, the chef outdid himself. They were even offering a wine tasting which was just the right amount for me. The decor is lovely and all in all, it was a fantastic night. AND the price is so reasonable for such an elegant meal. We will definitely go back and hope to get there more often!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This past Sunday, we met some friends at the Old Courthouse in Newport for brunch. Most of us started out with Bloody Mary's which were as good as they get. Several had Mimosa's and loved them. Their chef manned the omelet and buffet table and produced great omelets for all of us! He was personable, charming and made brunch a lot of fun. The rest of the buffet was also great and no one left hungry.

I'm really glad that we went back to the Old Courthouse. For some reason, we keep forgetting that it's there, but we will make sure that we return before long. You should put it on your list of restaurants in the Sullivan County area to go to. You will really enjoy your dining experience there.