“Don't stay anywhere else”

Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newbury
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I loved staying at Mountain Edge. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and they have some pet friendly rooms, which is very convenient (but call first, from conversations with staff some people just show up with pets unannounced and not all the rooms are pet friendly). The kitchen has a full size stainless refrigerator, 2 burner cooktop, microwave, dishwasher and 12 cup coffee maker. Our room had a king size bed with pillow top mattress that was very comfortable. There are 3 TVs (2 in bedroom and 1 in family room), and the place is decorated like a lodge, with extensive use of reclaimed barnwood timbers which is reminiscent of some grand hotels in the west we've been through.

The staff members at this place are awesome. I have encountered front dest staff, maintenance/grounds staff, and room service staff, and they all seem to be genuinely friendly. For example, one day I wanted to vacuum out my car, but my cord wouldn't reach, and the maintenance staff member went way out of his way to get me an extension cord. He was also very friendly and polite. Similarly with housekeeping staff. I ran into them when I returned to my room early once, and they were very kind and I felt totally confident having them in 'my space'. Jesse the hotel manager is consistently kind, and he goes out of his way to make your stay comfortable. At other hotels, I've felt the staff were well trained in customer service, but didn't... FEEL it. At the Mountain Edge, it felt like I was just surrounded by happy, friendly staff, and my interactions with them were very natural and friendly.

The pool and hot tub were nice, and there is a dry sauna as well. All are clean and inviting. There is also an 'endless lap pool' that uses jets to create a current... cool, but I don't swim for exercise so I didn't use it.

I think one of my favorite parts of the hotel is the restaurant, the Mountain Spirit Tavern, and I ate there every chance I got. The chef came out to our table and asked for feedback (all positive!) which was a nice touch. While we were here the restaurant operated with 1 chef and 1 waitress, it isn't so big that isn't doable and all the service was prompt and friendly, even on a busy night. I tried many items off the menu and the kitchen works to be accommodating (my wife is vegetarian) and everything was tasty, reasonably priced, and filling. This is good, because as we discovered, there aren't that many places around to eat, and this was by far the most convenient. It feels a little undiscovered... based on the quality, I'm very surprised it wasn't busier more often, but that might have just been the time of year (not ski season). I highly recommend the open faced roast beef sandwich if it is on the menu when you come.

Also convenient is the on-site convenience store, they have drinks, alcohol, coffee, candy and actual food too. So if you don't want to drive into town for a big trip, go to the Rosewood Barn near the entrance driveway.

If I had to be picky, there were a few things that weren't perfect. One of the coin op washing machines in the laundry was out of order when we went to wash our clothes, so we couldn't do 2 loads of laundry at once. And the fireplace was turned off, (I think for the summer) but we would have liked to use it on a chilly September night. But these are kind of a stretch, they didn't impact my enjoyment of my stay.

I didn't visit the spa so I can't comment on it.

We are in the middle of a cross country move to the Sunapee, NH area for my wife's job, and our encounter with the staff and accommodations at Mountain Edge were once of our first encounters with anyone in the area. They made us feel welcome, not only to their establishment, but also to the area. When family and friends come to visit, we will definitely have them stay at the Mountain Edge, and I would confidently recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor near the entrance from the parking lot, which was very convenient for br...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Quiet, clean facilities. Wonderful staff. Outdoor & Indoor pool. Hot tub. Great food (we had the Reuben, Spaghetti & Meatballs, and Caesar Salad). Small grocery store down the hill with basic needs. Had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

So we just got back from the Mountain Edge Resort and Spa at Sunapee. Joe at the desk went above and beyond in many ways, for one, letting me use his phone charger overnight. The resort is spotless, and beautiful. The tavern was reasonably priced with great food. There is Adventure Park right next door with fun things to do, a beach across the street and the lake is a mile up the road. You can rent jet skis, pontoons. The resort has two pools, one indoor, another outdoor. An indoor and outdoor hot tub, and infinity pool for laps. The room was spacious, had a real size fridge, a big tub, a loft, three TV's and a fireplace. I'm telling you I can't wait to spend more time there.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom with a loft and small veranda. Awesome.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gypsy1192
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were a group of twenty-four at The Tavern at the Mountain Edge Resort and Spa. Arrangements were made with the owner in advance and it went without a hitch. The service was efficient, food was hot and delicious and everyone had a great time. I would recommend this restaurant for group functions without hesitation.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank zgdm
Reviewed July 26, 2013

If you are going to stay in the Mt Sunapee area then you can not go wrong staying here. Check in was a breeze. The personnel were helpful but not intrusive. The Room we stayed in was very large and well furnished. We stayed in a 2 BR(1 loft) 2 Bath. The service was great. I had gone to the grocery store (6 Miles away in Newport) and bought a Frozen pizza when I got back I realized our room did not have an oven. The hotel allowed me to use an oven in a room, that was unoccupied, to cook it. I recommend you check the kitchen for an oven. Mt Sunapee State Park is right around the corner and has many activities. We went Hiking and did the Zip Line tour. The Lake is also very close by and offers many activities. The rain, 3 days worth, is the only thing that kept us from doing more. The food at the in house tavern was very good. We tried most items on the menu. The pools and work out area were clean and always available.

Merlin is a great host.

The only real negative is the Internet/Cell can be sketchy for these reasons.

1. The Weather seems to knock out the internet, Not the resorts fault
2. The guest network seems to be on the same server as the Business Network and many things get blocked by their firewall so don't be surprised if your Facebook Games are blocked.
3. AT&T Cell Service is almost non existent at the resort, but there are in room land lines.

But if your vacation is affected by this then you should not come to the Beautiful Mt Sunapee area as this is a wonderful place to come and play and relax

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Looking for a little birthday escape for my husband and me, we found a Groupon for Mountain Edge and decided to check it out. The place is beautiful and the rooms are huge (and very clean!). We loved it immediately. A gorgeous place to visit, everywhere you look are mountains and lakes. We took a nice hike up Porky Blue Trail to the Summit of Mount Sunapee. Be prepared, bring water and wear comfortable shoes. And speaking of shoes, leave your cute shoes at home, ladies. Not a lot of night life here. Through locals' recommendations, we found Salt Hill in downtown Newport, about 15-20 minutes away, a pub/restaurant; Bubba's in downtown Newbury, about 5 minutes away, another pub/restaurant; and One Mile West, which is exactly one mile west of Mountain Edge, where we heard the Chris Fitz band place on Thursday night. They were amazing!! They also had excellent food there. The tavern at the Mountain Edge was beautiful, but very quiet. The staff was incredibly nice but the place was a bit of a ghost town. I guess that's to be expected when visiting a ski resort in the summer! The first night we were there, we ate at the Anchorage, which is at the marina where the Kearsarge docks out of. The lobster rolls there were outstanding. Although we were told to try the dinner cruise on the Kearsarge, we never made it. There was really no "downtown" or shops to walk around in. I was hoping to bring something home for my kids, but in the four days we were there, we found nothing. The reason I give this place four stars instead of five is because the pool was under maintenance while we were there, but this did not ruin our time. The outside Jacuzzi was wonderful and the inside pool was a great place to cool off. Also a great place to cool off was the Sunapee State Beach right off of the traffic circle, where there were plenty of picnic tables, many of them placed in the shade. A great place to bring a blanket and relax. We truly enjoyed our stay in the Sunapee region and hope to return soon. And when we do, we'll stay at the Mountain Edge.

Thank you!!

Room Tip: The suites are huge. Very large fire-placed living room AND a sitting room AND a full kitchen!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndreaG63072
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here last weekend on Saturday night and used an expired groupon voucher for the value that i paid for it. Place was legit, lobby smells like delicious pizza, must be from the restaurant, however even when it wasnt opened on sunday morning it still smelled awesome. Great location at the bottom of the driveway to Mount Sunapee, spacious rooms(we had a queen bed in one room, couch in the living room, and another couch in another room, and a kitchen,) sweet hottubs(indoor and outdoor,) a patio off the living room, and a nice clean bathroom. My only problem was that they woke me up at 915 for really no reason, it wasn't the cleaning lady, they said it was guest services and i think they were trying to sell me a timeshare, which is in reality what this place is, a timeshare place. I would go back.

Room Tip: Our 1 BR and den was sweet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brian C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbury
Sunapee Lake Lodge
#1 of 3 in Sutton
Rosewood Country Inn
Rosewood Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Bradford

Been to Mountain Edge Resort & Spa at Sunapee? Share your experiences!