“Good if you want pasta...”
Review of Nonni's Italian Eatery - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Nonni's makes a nice change if you want pasta or other Italian dishes like chicken marsala, pizza, fettucine carbonara etc., but I find the menu limited. If someone in your group doesn't do pasta (in my case, a diabetic) they may settle for a salad and a side of meatballs...
I must say that when you order any pasta meal, you have a choice of ordering a single serving (plenty is served) or a family-sized serving you can share. It comes with bread (with nice garlic dipping oil) and salad (the caesar dressing is very good).
My fettucine alfredo was good, and I was asked if I wanted to add shrimp, which I did. The shrimps were great, and the alfredo was good tasting, but very short of sauce. I think of it as a dish served quite creamy, with a good amount of sauce, and there was just too little of it. I saw on the menu that they sold "extra alfredo sauce", but once I was served, I didn't want to go order more... and Nonni's should be a bit more generous with it in the first place, considering the price.

The surroundings are small but congenial, service was good. You just need to be looking for Italian to go there.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

I had eaten here several times and planned to continue to patronize the restaurant until I experienced nausea a few hours after eating a small meal last fall. When I returned a few days later to report my experience, there was no manager on site, only the head cook who came out from the kitchen to hear my complaint. He said that it was not possible that I had become sick from a meal at the restaurant, and insisted that all foods are stored and refrigerated according to health department regulations. He did not offer in any way to make up for my bad experience.

I returned two times in the next ten days to report my experience to a manager, but there was never one on site. As a result the restaurant lost any of the business I might have given to it or sent its way, from October 2011 to February 2012.

The other night I decided to bring some friends to the restaurant and to give Nonni's another try. This time the manager was on site, and so after our meal was finished I approached him privately to tell him about my experience in October. My primary interest was in suggesting that the person in charge at the restaurant - whether manager or cook - have both the courtesy to express concern for a patron's bad dining experience, and the authority to offer and provide some sort of compensation, if warranted.

I was shocked when the manager offered the same line of response as the cook: a lack of genuine concern that I had a bad dining experience and a refusal to accept that I could have become ill after eating at the restaurant.

But the manager then insisted that the symptoms of foodborne illnesses do not appear until 24-36 hours after eating, contrary to established FDA guidelines that list no fewer than 10 foodborne organisms or toxins that produce symptoms within a few hours after food has been consumed. Management would be advised to update itself on this critical aspect of food service information.

Eateries in New Hampshire backwaters like New London depend on attracting and maintaining loyal, local customers whose business they can count on in the off-season, and during snowless winters like this one. The owners and management at Nonni's seem not to have learned this important lesson.

1  Thank ovando
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We were out last minute looking for a good spot to eat and came across this resturant. They have a varing menu, I choose their alfredo with grilled chicken was good and filling, they serve warm bread with olive oil yummy! Went a second time recently and had their spagetti and meatballs and it was excellent!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Enjoyed a great meal here. I ordered the spaghetti and meatball dish and loved the sauce it was in. I am definitely planning on going back here.