Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse
More attraction details
Owner description: Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, located next to Fort Constitution in New Castle, New Hampshire, is open for guided tours every Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., late May through mid-October. For a small suggested donation, visitors can climb to the top and see the Fresnel lens as well as a breathtaking view of Portsmouth Harbor. Visit our website for more information on open houses and special events.
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Find this lighthouse in your travels and see the beautiful
area and shore in all of the natural beauty.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Visitors to Portsmouth often ask how to get to the Portsmouth Lighthouse. Well, this is the place, but it isn't in Portsmouth. It's in New Castle, the next town over - more of a village, really. The lighthouse is definitely cool, but you want to make sure you visit during one of their open house days, so you can go inside. It's not just open all the time. When the Friends of the Lighthouse have the lighthouse open, you can climb up the winding staircase and go up into the top for a really good view. There's a lot of history to read, too. The lighthouse is on the grounds of the Coast Guard Station, so you have to park outside the gate and walk in. Also in there is a very cool, kind of wild and overgrown fort, called Fort Constitution. That's just wide open for rambling around. Very enjoyable on a hot summer day.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Explored the area on my own after passing it by boat in July on my way to Star Island. I said, " I've got to get back there and check it out next time I am up here "..... so I did! It was a rather warm & sunny December day and I had no expectations other than to see the lighthouse up close. I got some great photos, everything from twisted vines & old parts of the fort to the lighthouse itself. There was one other person there that day also roaming around but I did not feel unsafe, as the Coast Guard station was right there and there were many personnel outside that day. Most of the signs at Fort Constitution were old & in poor condition, making them difficult to read but I did some research on my own prior to visiting so I already knew some of the history of the buildings and of the site itself. I also drove a short distance down the road to a dead end and got more photos of the Portsmouth Light from father away & from a different angle. It was a small beach with whitish colored sand near the big rocks and it was nice to take the short stroll to the end before the sun went down.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Concrete bunkers are also located off to the side of the road leading to the Station and represent rich history in protecting Portsmouth harbor.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

A Portsmouth native suggested this tour to my friends (a Canadian couple) and I and we set out on a breezy Sunday for the tour. The Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses volunteers were very knowledgable and enthusiastic about their lighthouses (including Whaleback which cannot be toured as it is in poor repair and not accessible to the public). Things were well organized but we experienced a bit of a wait; according to the volunteers, this was due to a very high volume of visitors that day. The tour allows you access to the room that houses the Fresnel lens, and the tour guide will turn it on for you to obseve. Only 8 are allowed in the top at time, and even then it can feel quite cramped during the 15 minute talk. There are 44 metail stairs plus a 7 rung ladder to reach the top, which may prevent some from participating. We learned a lot and enjoyed our time at the lighthouse. Would highly recommended this tour. Donations are suggested for the tour, but not required.

4  Thank Lolagirl92