“Wentworth in August”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Moorestown, NJ
“Wentworth in August”
Reviewed December 13, 2006

We had a better than average visit at this hotel for three days in late August. The hotel is quaint and enjoyable for this class of hotel. Hotel staff were pleasant. The hotel is old, albeit remodeled and nicely furnished. As is our experience more often than not, our first room was not the "cream of the crop" - we finally had a very nice room, but after we switched twice. You have to be demanding. In spite of a promise from the manager to hold a room if it opened up, he did not. Overall we would visit again, but the hotel is not anything to really rave about. Nonetheless it is the only place to stay that appears to be somewhat upscale.

The food was very good, especially on our late night arrival the first night; the main restaurant was very accommodating. We were there during summer to fall transition - kind of an awkward time, but the hotel claimed to be booked solid. Cool /Warm alternating temperatures with fireplaces that are kind of pushing the climatic envelope a little. We tried the spa with a couple good results. I usually take in a deep tissue massage whereever we go and my tense back and shoulders are always a challenge. However, although pleasant, the Wentworth massage therapist pushed me to pain, so you have to be careful with some. I was sore for days - never happened before, so that kind of left me dissatisfied when I paid $150 a person.

Contrary to its name, the resort is not actually on the coast. It is actually on a bay and consequently, most views are bayviews that are not exactly impressive. One view is of an old abandoned building on an island that resembles a hotel from a bygone era until you discover from locals it is an abandoned prison.

However, the surrounding area is absolutely beautiful. Portsmouth is an historic and quaint community with Strawbery Banke a must see and the homes are adorable - the weather this time is ideal for visiting the sights - I especially enjoyed the herb garden at Strawbery Banke, very peaceful. There are quite a few restaurants and if you go here, you must visit "The Golden Egg" for breakfast. Their omelettes will astound you, as they are whipped and flame broiled - very light. Warren's Lobster House across the bridge in Maine is simply an ordinary tourist trap - might as well be at the Jersey shore - food is very bland and atmosphere not very charming - would recommend trying something more off the beaten track for more authentic lobster.

Also, of course, take in a must-see 1/2 day tour of the whales. We used Granite State Whale Watch, Rye Beach, NH - we were very pleased with the experience. We enjoyed NH tremendously and a welcome relief to maniacal Philly and NJ drivers - I almost felt like getting out and thanking people for not honking at us!

• Liked — Surrounding area, Latitudes Restaurant and Wentworth Restaurant
  • Disliked — Poor ocean view
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure your room isn't located over the banquet room - can be very noisy!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank FussyTravelers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Carmichael, California
Reviewed August 26, 2006

While visiting Boston, I booked one night at Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle on a friend's recommendation. I wish we could have stayed longer! For 225.00 my 13 year old and I had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the front entrance and marina. The room was nicely decorated and quiet. It was a pleasure to sleep in! We spent most of our time in Portsmouth so we did not use the facilities at the hotel. We sure hope to return and highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Nicely decorated rooms
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — N/A
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank CaliforniaFM
Saint Louis
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Just got back from 6 days at the Wentworth and my husband and I both agree that this was one of our best vacations ever. Everything went right. We arrived early (11:00) and were told our room was ready. It was fabulous with a harbor view and a corner area with a desk. The bed was out of sight and the bathroom was one of the best with a huge shower with glass doors. Food at the main restaurant was wonderful as was the food at the casual poolside restaurant. Concierge was helpful in getting us reservations for sailing, boating, etc. Captain Jim, sailing out of Kennebunkport, was a seasoned sailor with a wonderful sailboat. Favorite restaurant in Portsmouth was Jumping Jay's and Ray's in Rye was also delicious as they serve the lobsters they have caught themselves that very day. We will definitely return.

• Liked — bed and shower
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joey965
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed August 10, 2006

My wife and I stayed 3 days/2 nights at Wentworth-by-the-Sea on August 4-6, and honestly, it was a beautiful hotel, and a lovely experience. The food was superb, and dining in the classic main dining room is not to be missed.

We had a suite in the Marina building overlooking the marina, and being newly built, it was beautiful, luxuriously appointed, with a full kitchen, living room downstairs, and a full bath/shower and bedroom with balcony upstairs overlooking the marina and private swimming pool. At $500 a night, it was not inexpensive, but we believe it was still very good value for the money.

However, the "ocean" experience my wife and I had been seeking was not fulfilled here. It's not the hotel's fault. We simply didn't do our homework well enough. Had we done so, we would have determined that while the Wentworth is close to the ocean, and overlooks a salt-water inlet, visitors will not have direct access to a sandy beach, and they won't hear the rush of the ocean tide going in and out. And that's part of the experience we were seeking. There's something especially calming about listening to the ocean waves crashing.

A couple of things for potential visitors to think about: if you book the Marina suites, you may find yourself sitting by the beautiful private pool surrounded by screaming children. If that's your cup of tea, fine, but it's not ours. And (unfortunately for us) the suites containing full kitchens serve as a lure for entire families who want to reduce their meal costs. The pool by the marina also doesn't have enough chaise lounges to accommodate all guests, so you have to stake a claim to one early in the day if you want to relax by the pool in one of them.

The classic main building dining room "Wentworth's" is beautiful, the ancient cupola evoking a bygone era. The menu is "classic", and not very adventurous at all, but the food is fresh and outstandingly prepared. Still, I wish the menu could offer something besides very standard, very traditional chicken/steak/lobster/fish dishes. They were superb, tasty, but not different from that I could have found at any good quality restaurant. The wait staff at Wentworth's was exceptionally well-trained, though, and a real credit to the hotel. They weren't your run-of-the-mill undertrained college kids.

The casual dining restaurant "Latitudes" has a lovely outdoor deck overlooking the marina, and we had an excellent lunch there. We ordered the "Raw Bar" appetizer, which contained 3 raw oysters, 3 jumbo shrimp, a poached half lobster, and 3 large Alaskan King Crab legs, for $32. Only the oysters were actually raw. Candidly, the portion size blew us away, it was huge, it was enough for two people for the entire meal, and we needlessly had ordered a hamburger and a steak salad as main courses. But the Raw Bar was delicious.

It also proved to be a mistake: I ate the 3 raw oysters, and 10 hours later, I was very very ill. Severe diarrhea, cold chills, fever were the result. Let me emphasize: this was not the hotel's fault, in my opinion, and I don't believe it had anything to do with the hotel mishandling those oysters in any way. This is simply a risky summer to eat raw oysters,. Do a google search (as I did after the fact) and you will discover that this year's especially hot weather on both the east coast and west coast has produced a spate of illnesses from a bacteria in oysters. Vibriosis is caused by vibrio parahaemolyticus, a bacterium typically found in salt water that proliferates in hot weather.

Read about it at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/08/01/ap/health/mainD8J7BH180.shtml

I chose to eat raw oysters despite the risks associated with uncooked foods, and I now wish I hadn't. Our weekend ended on a very down note. Still, we had a very nice time at Wentworth-by-the-Sea, and most visitors will love it.

• Liked — The food, and the luxurious accomodations
  • Disliked — Screaming children at the pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Understand that it's not directly on the ocean
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank signothetimes53
Georgia
Reviewed August 7, 2006

I stayed for two nights with my husband and two children, 9 & 7. We had a wonderful time. They gave us a roomy corner room, which was nice with the four of us. The service was great. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast & dinner and had wonderful food and service. The hotel is beautiful and my children really enjoyed the indoor pool. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank meredithmr
Wareham, MA
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a last minute one night stay at this beautiful hotel. First and foremost I will say in 24 hours we never left this property. If you are looking for a 24 marriage survival get-a-way, this is the place.

We arrived at 10:30 a.m., were able to check-in immediately. We had a room in the back of the property overlooking the water. The room was spotless and rather roomy. We did check into a room in the main inn, but found it rather small so we were switched to a room in the addition which was built onto the main hotel. Much more modern, but if you like the feeling of an older building with unique doors, peaks, etc. you will like the older rooms. Bed was beyond comfortable and the bathroom very roomy.

We spent our entire day at the outside pool which is a short walk across the street. The lounges were so comfortable with thick cushions. The service absolutely wonderful and I cannot rave enough about the food at Latitudes. It should also be noted that due to the rather upscale pool area, people were very considerate if they had children and made sure screaming and yelling were kept to a low minimum.

We also had dinner at Latitudes on the deck overlooking the water. Although our server was not really on the ball, the food was once again wonderful.

They had a piano/singer in the lounge which was nice, although here is where the screaming children popped up. A few were found sleeping on the couches which was a little odd. Not something one would expect at 9:30 at night in an adult atmosphere.

We did not have a chance to try the Spa but I did hear many positive comments from other guests. We will most definitely be returning to this beautiful property in the future.

• Liked — too many to list
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Tips/Secrets — none
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank FiveStarTraveler
MA
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My stay at the Wentworth was from 6/30 – 7/2. I was married there on 7/1 & we stayed in the Marina suite #2009. The suite was just amazing & the service was wonderful, everyone was very attentive to our needs. Trish DeSantis who was my group coordinator is worth mentioning here; she was by far the most professional, friendly, personable, genuine person I have met at the Wentworth. If you are getting married here, you are in good hands. The food & service was remarkable and the brunch the next day was out of this world! I would highly recommend the Wentworth to anyone & I can not wait to return.

• Stayed July 2006
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!