“Warm and Wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Castle
Fredericksburg, Texas
“Warm and Wonderful”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I stayed at the Wentworth as a child and was thrilled to find that it had reopened. The hotel is lovely. We were "upgraded" though and had a huge condo suite but I would have preferred the "old hotel" section. The hotel was full and one must request the older part. Cannot wait to return and check out the historical section.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
Buffalo
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed in a Marina Suites 2 bedroom 2 level suite (king beds) which was quite spacious with 2 great balconies facing the marina and marina pool (the larger main pool was nearby). We had a living room, small kitchen with dishwasher and 2 bathrooms plus a clothes washer/dryer. We were very close to the Latitudes restaurant and used it 3 times while there and the main dining room once...preferred the menu at Latitudes as it offered more variety. Got a handicap room for some reason so it had a strange shower area and no tub. Room service was superb...their hamburger and their lobster sandwich were excellent. We had twice daily maid service ... with delicious chocolates at turn down time. Place looked full. We didn't have a rainy day the whole week. Free internet (hard wired) in the rooms.

Pet friendly hotel ($30 per stay) so the whole family went and enjoyed this hotel complex very much - have already booked for next year as a result. The women enjoyed shopping at the outlet malls in Kittery across the bridge. The Ice House down the road had great ice cream and a number of other casual foods.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank gr8adman1
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed at this great resort August 16-19 (during a major heat wave of 90+ degree weather!). We had a fabulous lunch the day we arrived at the main dining room - it appears very formal and stuffy but it is not. The staff were very attentive and the food was great. Had the lobster roll - it was huge!! You can definitely split!

The room was nice - we requested both via telephone before arriving and once we checked in for a mini frig to store drinks, etc however the front desk encouraged us to use the mini bar (take things out and put our stuff in). We did this however the mini bar frig is not cold so bring a cooler if you want to have water, sodas, etc.

Overall the resort is great - the main pool area was VERY crowded due to the weather. We had a blast regardless of the crowds. They do have an 'adults only' section which was a life saver while we were there. You could always get a chairs there without being crowded. They did run out of beach/pool towels however I think they were used to having so many people using the pool at one time during the hot days! No biggie - we just grabbed some from the indoor pool....

If you decide to eat at Latitudes (restaurant on the marina at the hotel) - go at an odd time. The place gets packed during lunch time hours. We went around 5:00 and it was empty - by 6:30 it was standing room only at the bar and the restaurant was full (they do not take reservations)

We did the breakfast plan and did the buffet everyday. The gentleman working the omelet station was wonderful. He had the patience of a saint with some 'demanding' guests. However he always had a smile and never missed a beat with everyone's requests.

The staff in the hotel were great. The only staff that appeared 'stuffy' and not as friendly as others were the front desk staff. Which is surprising since they are the first and last impressions you get with a resort....

We went to dinner at Jumpin' Jays Cafe in Portsmouth and it was great as well. Very casual yet the food and wait staff were excellent.

The golf course next door to the resort looks awesome - however due to the heat we did not end up golfing. Hopefully next time!

2 Thank Patriots1
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Just got back from a week at the Wentworth and what a beautiful hotel! My husband planned the week away as a surprise for my birthday and anniversary - had absolutely no idea where we were going but was so pleasantly surprised! We were fortunate to have a luxury suite for 5 nights of our stay and then got to stay in the Admiral's Suite for the last night. Amazing rooms, and the service was outstanding! We couldn't have been happier! Great location for visiting the Seacoast area and making day trips to Maine. Food was probably the best of any Marriott we've ever stayed in. Thank you everyone for making our trip special!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChefHeather
basking ridge, nj
Reviewed August 19, 2009

There is no question that the rooms are spectacular, the views are great, but the staff at times seemed overwhelmed. I think that during the summer the weddings get priority and the small things are overlooked. For example, the pool is crowded and people are thirsty and 40 minutes is just too long to wait for a drink. They should employ more than one bartender. People were receiving warm beer because
the beer had not been refrigerated and they ran out of cold beer. Also,
the work out room had no cups to drink water. In 95 degree heat, these
little things should be thought of in advance. The poor waitresses at the pool had to bear the brunt of the guests' complaints and were so
overworked. Also, for the price you pay for a room, I think the front
desk or concierge should be able to Mapquest directions. I was directed to a PC down in the basement floor to do the directions myself. In Monterey when I stayed at the Intercontinental, they were
happy to print our directions for me.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Wentworth several times and enjoyed each visit. It's classy but laid back, with great rooms, comfy beds, and excellent room service that is reasonably priced (for a nice hotel). The front desk is very accommodating, and we've never had trouble getting a complimentary late checkout. Great indoor pool and two wonderful whirlpools. The building itself is massive and stately, with bold red gables and lots of nooks and crannies. The higher floors offer sweeping views of the ocean and tidal areas.

My sense is the service isn't as precise or polished as one might find in, say, the Four Seasons, but I feel like the overall atmosphere reflects the New England seaside setting: Polite, easy-going, and ultimately eager to please. We'll keep coming again and again whenever we need to relax a little.

Visitors heading into Portsmouth should take 1-B for a neat little drive through Newcastle and across several islands along the way. It's not the quickest or most direct route into Portsmouth, but it's by far the prettier option.

Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Belmonster
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stayed at the Wentworth by the Sea by Marriott arriving on August 9, for one night. Self parking is free and plenty of it. As you walk up to the hotel you notice the old charm. I love historic hotels and the Wentworth is a very well maintained property. Welcome at the front desk was pleasant welcoming and very informative in regards to the hotels services and dining options. I booked this stay with my Marriott Rewards. I have Silver status and earn my points by planning meetings at the various Marriott brands of hotels.

My room was on the 4th floor, a good walk from the elevator and in a large open area with an ice machine. My room was off this area next to the maid’s closet. Again it seems that when you use points you get the least favourable room available in the hotel. After three points stays with Marriott it has always been the least ideal situated rooms in the hotel.

The room has a standard Marriott room feel but this room had charm and was more comfortable. Slanted ceiling because of the roof shape, marble bathroom and colonial style furniture. The amenities were an upgrade to the basic Marriott bathroom amenities. Overall the hotel has a resort feel to it as it should in such a beautiful setting. Internet is free and the room boast a well garnished paying mini bar. The mini bar prices were reasonable.

The hotel is very well situated and easy to access by car. It sits between a marsh and marina on an island facing an inlet. Its near Kittery outlets, patience are a must for shopping there. You have to drive to each of the blocks of stores and traffic is slow.

After driving through various towns on the cost from Boston that day, we decided to have dinner at the hotel. There are three American fare options: Wentworth Dining Room, an elegant room and menu that requires Shirt/Slacks. I was not in the mood for that but was tempted. Roosevelt's Lounge: a casual room with a nice selection from a short menu. Latitudes Restaurant a casual restaurant with a well balanced menu for choices. It’s situated on the marina below the hotel; this is also the suite section of the hotel and is detached from the main building. This was our choice for the evening.

They do not accept reservations so we took a walk and found a full dining room. We were offered a reservation for a table in an hour. The bar and patio available, were also offered. We chose the patio even though it was cloudy; the sky was threatening rain with a chilly breeze off the water. It was perfect for me, it did get cool towards the end of the meal but the scenery made you forget little breeze. There were some gas heaters and only one functioned, they could not get the other two to start. Service was not very refined abut it didn’t matter, the view was beautiful and the air crisp.

I had the fried calamari; it was good tasting but too greasy. My partner had the chowder, it was excellent. We shared a crab cake, nice presentation but tasted plain. I had the tenderloin with a potato layered cake with cheddar. I would not have known about the cheddar if it was not part of its menu name, it was also overcooked. I asked for medium pink center cooked tenderloin but it was too cooked and was stringy. My partner had the tuna and crispy sushi rice, and it was great. Overall it was a nice experience but, I think the staff and kitchen didn’t handle the full room very well. Lack of experienced staff was evident. No one seemed to be in charge of the room.

We had an excellent night’s rest and the ice machine outside the room was not a bother. We left early the next morning to visit more of the eastern coast. I would go back to this hotel to explore it more including the surrounding area.

1 Thank mitchyul
Stage Neck Inn
Stage Neck Inn
#2 of 4 in York Harbor
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront

Been to Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!